Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2021, 12:15 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,166,775 times

Advertisements

I have been part of a Wake Forest study for Covid19 where daily they ask if I consider myself in good health, any symptoms, any new tests or vaccinations etc etc.? I started about 6 months ago and way before my vaccination. A few days before my vaccination I was asked to do part 2 a Scanwell test which is blood tested monthly to look for how long antibodies if you have any stay. Igg and Igm are tested. The first pre-vaccination showed a slight positive to Igm indicating recent (acute)exposure to the virus. Two day later received the J & J. 4 weeks later today am tested and still no evidence of Igg which would indicate antibodies being made. So now wondering if my vaccination changed anything. Have to wait another 4 weeks to see but I was told Igg is created with the vaccination and is indicative of protection .. Anyone else doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 12:42 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
I am doing a similar covid study through NIH. Five visits over 15 months for a blood draw, weekly emailed questionnaire. They told me that the type of antibodies that they were looking for were different than the ones I would develop from the vaccine.

I also give blood every 60-70 days. The Red Cross has been doing free antibody tests for all donors for quite a few months. I've always been negative until my donation following my Moderna vaccine. Now I'm "reactive" for antibodies which is what occurs after vaccines. (Reactive is NOT the same as a "positive" result. Positive would mean you actually had covid at some point.)

Old 05-09-2021, 01:39 PM

715 posts, read 1,038,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I am doing a similar covid study through NIH. Five visits over 15 months for a blood draw, weekly emailed questionnaire. They told me that the type of antibodies that they were looking for were different than the ones I would develop from the vaccine.

I also give blood every 60-70 days. The Red Cross has been doing free antibody tests for all donors for quite a few months. I've always been negative until my donation following my Moderna vaccine. Now I'm "reactive" for antibodies which is what occurs after vaccines. (Reactive is NOT the same as a "positive" result. Positive would mean you actually had covid at some point.)

Same here. Donated blood before my vaccination with the pfizer and my Red Cross antibody test was negative. I donated weeks after my second dose of the vaccine and the test came back "reactive".

Old 05-10-2021, 07:58 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,726,213 times
I don't know the particulars of the tests you are having done, but my understanding is that multiple antibodies are produced after exposure to the virus corresponding to different parts of the virus some of which are more effective than others. When you get the vaccine, the antibodies produced are limited by what proteins are present in the vaccine (just one in Moderna and Pfizer, presumably more in J&J). It is possible they are testing for antibodies that are produced in response to the virus but not the vaccine.

With hepatitis, they can differentiate between people who have been exposed vs vaccinated by looking for these different antibodies. Might be something similar going on here.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:05 AM

4,542 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
I don't know the particulars of the tests you are having done, but my understanding is that multiple antibodies are produced after exposure to the virus corresponding to different parts of the virus some of which are more effective than others. When you get the vaccine, the antibodies produced are limited by what proteins are present in the vaccine (just one in Moderna and Pfizer, presumably more in J&J). It is possible they are testing for antibodies that are produced in response to the virus but not the vaccine.

With hepatitis, they can differentiate between people who have been exposed vs vaccinated by looking for these different antibodies. Might be something similar going on here.

Correct. The OP probably had a test that was targeting a different parts of a protein, and doesn't really gauge your immune reaction to the vaccine. Here's a test that's only $23 and does test for antibodies that are produced after the 3 vaccines we have here and is FDA approved. However, you need a MD/PA or NP's NPI number so you can maybe find someone who can order it for you:

https://www.code1supply.com/rapid_test_kit_each
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary