Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 02:26 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I'm good. I just filled up my bathtub with gasoline.
I am literally LOLing. Best post of the day. Possibly the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 02:28 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
I probably won't go there but which Lowe's (Foods) was it? My neighborhood Lowes does not have gasoline but our Harris Teeter does now.
The new one on Morrisville Parkway in West Cary. It's RIGHT off 540, but not sure it's worth the trip for you and I bet they're out between the price and the panic.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:28 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
I'm good. I just filled up my bathtub with gasoline.
Hope you took the toilet paper out first!!!

Old 05-11-2021, 02:40 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Reminds me of the It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia episode about the gas crisis
I'm glad I can help.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:43 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
You're missing my point (I think) which is that I (and most people) can't keep months or years of gasoline on hand, stored in the guest bedroom or garage. Most of our storage capability is limited to what we use for the small engines around the house.

The very real supply concerns, while certainly influenced by panic behavior, aren't solely caused by them. My wife had me get gas in her car as a precaution; she had 1/2 a tank. That shifted demand a whole 1/2 week supply up by maybe two days. As opposed to TP, where people could and would stockpile a year supply.
I think you underestimate the storage capacity of many people in the area. Particularly those who store fuel for generators and/or have more than average land to maintain. I'm not making it up that people are filling gas cans. It's the reason that many gas stations had to implement limits to how much people could buy.

I get that you can't stockpile gas. Neither can I. It doesn't mean it's not going on. Is it the main reason for the problem? No, but it's a contributing factor.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:51 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcohnc View Post
Glad to have an EV now...
Yup. Love my Bolt. So fun to drive. Do not miss gas stations. Just plug it in at night like my phone.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:55 PM

51 posts, read 42,708 times
I hear additional gasoline being driven in from Wilmington oil terminal, but it won't be enough to offset the panic buying going on now. Every single gas station in a 10 mile radius around RTP has ZERO supply now. Cars circling stations like sharks...in vain.

Old 05-11-2021, 03:24 PM

881 posts, read 766,084 times
This has all been media driven. There isn’t any shortage. The pipeline is opening back up by the end of the week.

Old 05-11-2021, 03:36 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
This has all been media driven. There isn’t any shortage. The pipeline is opening back up by the end of the week.

Heh?

The main pipeline for gasoline for something like 17 states will be shut down for a week (isn't this the same one that had an issue back in 2015-2016 ish? a leak in Alabama? my buddy who moved here before us sent us video of him sitting in line for gas in FV) and you're claiming there isn't a shortage? This pipeline moves 100M gallons a day....so by the end of week, 700M gallons literally not available at various Points of Sale

I'm not saying people should be panicking and hording....but when your main source of supply between Houston and Linden NJ is offline for a week.....that is something more than not a shortage.

Frank Drebin is that you?

Old 05-11-2021, 03:36 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,754,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Yep. People are reporting that they're seeing others not just fill up their tanks, but multiple gas cans as well. I don't understand why ... it's not like there's a storm coming and we need to be prepared to fill generators. Just avoid unnecessary driving and work from home where possible (we should be pretty experienced at this point).

Yep, except for people who can't work from home and have to drive to work. Now we don't have gas who have to drive since every station around me is out. I'm sure those who work from home drove out all day today looking for gas to "top off."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary