Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 07:07 AM

386 posts, read 436,132 times

Advertisements

Durham has higher crime but also much better restaurants than other cities and towns in this region. You take the good with the bad.

I've heard people say that most of the violent crime in Durham is "criminal on criminal" and there's a low risk of being a victim as long as you avoid certain areas and don't act like an ass if you do find yourself in them.

If I were in my twenties and a recent grad, I'd definitely consider living in Durham. If I had school-aged kids? I'd stick to some other counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 07:17 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
I just assume these threads are started by someone trying to start trouble at this point.
Correct.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:21 AM

340 posts, read 295,324 times
If you consider day time robberies and shootings and night time drive bys a rough area then yes

Old 05-28-2021, 07:50 AM

872 posts, read 1,015,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
If you consider day time robberies and shootings and night time drive bys a rough area then yes
"Daytime Robberies, Nighttime Drive-bys" is my favorite Kenny Rogers song.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:50 AM

15 posts, read 12,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've been to the City of Chicago twice. I watch the national news daily, and based on that reporting, I'll never go back because gun shots are flying around 24 hours a day everywhere in the city.

Grain of salt, indeed.
The Chicagoland area is incredibly diverse. On the south end there are literally 30+ shootings every weekend and on the north end are homes like Michael Jordan's sprawling estate. Then of course there's everything in-between. There are sections of the I94/294 where I would rather run out of gas and call AAA than take my chances getting off the freeway.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:52 AM

715 posts, read 1,038,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
I just assume these threads are started by someone trying to start trouble at this point.

I'm starting to assume the same, NM posts. It's becoming a waste of time to try to disabuse new posters of the generally incorrect info they've gleaned about Durham --in this case from a moronic YouTube video. OP, if you're not from around here, and have never been, come visit Durham and see what you think of it for yourself.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:10 AM

926 posts, read 827,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Durham regularly makes those lists of top places for college grads to move to. I really would not take the opinion of someone who has been to Durham twice with a grain of salt or anything. I really like Durham and have lived next door to it for decades. It does have its share of crime but so do many other cities. It’s a really vibrant city.

Yes you’re correct,

I was wrong to say that Durham has a great job market, major universities in the area, massive hospitals, and relatively area based crime.

You have to live next door to a city for decades to gain that type of information. For all I know, Durham has an awful job market, no universities (because Duke, UNC, and NC State clearly don’t exist, right?), and no hospitals within 50 miles.

I also said there were many great areas in Durham. Clearly that’s not true because once again, I haven’t lived next door to Durham for decades like some people.

I said N. Roxboro st area was very rough - definitely not true as that is one of the most vibrant areas in this vibrant city that I clearly must not know anything about. Highest per capita zip code in the state is around Duke’s Hospital, right? Because I definitely said that was a relatively spotty area but clearly that must not be true as I haven’t lived next door to Durham for decades.

Point is, you’ll find everything I said to be objectively true while your statement was normative.

Being a great place to find work has nothing to do with the crime rate, and is mostly related to the job market and cost of living, which I repeatedly put emphasis on. Those same lists probably also show DC as being one of the best job markets in the country for recent grads, while I love DC, I recognize the obnoxious local government and extremely high crime rates in certain areas.

Durham’s crime rate would not personally stop me from living there, however other things regarding the city most definitely would. It’s not a bad city by any means, and it’s recent growth in many ways proves that.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:19 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorimpressor View Post

The Chicagoland area is incredibly diverse. On the south end there are literally 30+ shootings every weekend and on the north end are homes like Michael Jordan's sprawling estate. Then of course there's everything in-between. There are sections of the I94/294 where I would rather run out of gas and call AAA than take my chances getting off the freeway.
Pretty much like Durham (sans Micheal Jordan).

Old 05-28-2021, 09:22 AM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times
There is an area around NCCU and east Durham you might not want to live in/venture to at night, but the rest of the city is safe and really nice. I lived in South Durham and never felt unsafe either there or downtown or on the western side near Duke. In fact, my wife and I currently live in midtown Raleigh but I work in Durham and she just got a job in downtown Durham...so we are probably about to move there ourselves.

Raleigh has sketchy areas too. That ABC store off Appliance Ct...that has me feeling more unsafe than I ever felt in Durham, haha.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:22 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Pretty much like Durham (sans Micheal Jordan).
Well he does own a car dealership in Durham....but otherwise MJ is obviously more tied to Chapel Hill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary