Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 03:03 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Did you read my last sentence? If you searched Crabtree you'd probably find 10x the crime (I won't even go to that mall). Just saying that Southpoint isn't exactly a stranger to crime.

Please tell me: Where in this country is "exactly a stranger to crime?"

Hell, even Mayberry had some issues when Sheriff Andy was in charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 03:12 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Please tell me: Where in this country is "exactly a stranger to crime?"

Hell, even Mayberry had some issues when Sheriff Andy was in charge.
I don’t really want to go down that path but there are areas of the country with far less crime than this area. Not complaining (I still live here), just saying as I always do that some people may not be used to it.

Old 06-02-2021, 03:24 PM

598 posts, read 333,157 times
Nothing feels shady about Southpoint or about the strip mall across the street where this carjacking happened. There are certainly shady feeling areas of Durham, and that's not one of them. But it is a mall, and probably every large shopping center attracts its share of crime, even nice malls. Thankfully the woman and her baby were not harmed.

Old 06-02-2021, 09:40 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
I was in that shopping center probably just a few minutes after this happened. I didn't see anything or any indication of anything having happened. We dropped my teenager off at the mall right after 3 PM, and I needed something from Old Navy, so I walked over there. After Old Navy, I walked into REI and World Market and then walked back to the mall. The mall and all of the stores were very crowded that day - almost felt like Christmas time.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:37 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,499,104 times
Yet another broad daylight carjacking in Raleigh. What the hell man.

https://abc11.com/traffic/wild-video...taxi/10737698/

Also I literally did laugh out loud when someone said Southpoint is shady. That is one sheltered person right there....and being that sheltered will cause "shadyness" everywhere.

Last edited by LordHelmit; 06-03-2021 at 10:26 AM..

Old 06-03-2021, 09:43 AM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Yet another broad daylight carjacking in Raleigh. What the hell man.

https://abc11.com/traffic/wild-video...taxi/10737698/

Also I literally did laugh out loud when someone said Southpoint is shady. That is one sheltered person right there....hence the "shadyness"
I can see the headlines now..

Uh oh. A carjacking in Raleigh. Better stay away from Durham.

When the point is that crime happens everywhere.

Old 06-03-2021, 12:14 PM

1,204 posts, read 777,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I can see the headlines now..

Uh oh. A carjacking in Raleigh. Better stay away from Durham.

When the point is that crime happens everywhere.

I think there was some "analysis" on this somewhere, how media does that -- consciously or not. Things like:

- Durham man ran over a cat in Raleigh
- Burglary on the Durham side of RTP
- A woman who moved from Durham to Raleigh three years ago fights with her neighbors, blames lawn chairs thrown into the pool
- The store, which has been failing in Durham, moved to Raleigh and now is rolling in dough
- Durham, an invasive plant, taking over the creeks of Raleigh.

Old 06-03-2021, 12:24 PM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
Everyone likes to pick on Durham.

Old 06-03-2021, 01:08 PM

151 posts, read 195,178 times
Southpoint is shady? lmao

Durham does need to fix its policing, especially downtown. But southpiont is not shady.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:08 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
Nothing feels shady about Southpoint or about the strip mall across the street where this carjacking happened. There are certainly shady feeling areas of Durham, and that's not one of them. But it is a mall, and probably every large shopping center attracts its share of crime, even nice malls. Thankfully the woman and her baby were not harmed.
Ive lived in close proximity to malls nearly my entire life and yes more random crime tends to be attracted to malls. However, I would feel as safe at Southpoint as any mall. Now if a mall gets down on its luck or closes, that where I’d get more nervous if I lived closeby. Seen it happen in 3 separate cities.

Hampton, VA - Coliseum Mall
Alexandria, VA - Landmark Mall
Louisville, KY - Jefferson Mall

The mall either shuttered it’s doors or drew down shopping options and crime rose noticeably. I’m pretty close to Northgate so another test for this theory is coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary