Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 08:08 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,940,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Middle Creek area.
It is in Cary with an Apex USPS address.
Be sure to research where everything for 540 is going. It is pretty easy now to see where the highway will be, but it doesn't look like they have cleared for all of the auxiliary areas (off ramps, etc).

And we are getting a Costco, just a few miles down Ten-Ten (@401/Fayetteville Rd) !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 08:11 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Cary being compared to Edison, that's a first. If you think there's a lot of northerners in Cary (which stands for containment area for relocated yankees, although no one really says it anymore unless they've stumbled on a 10 year old google search) wait till you get to the other towns...including Garner. I've met more NYers in Apex and Holly Springs than I have in 11 years in Cary. Also did our youth sports in Morrisville and Cary with no issues, but a family member works for Apex parks and rec and parents are routinely ejected from games, meets and matches. Once a couple of parents blocked this person from trying to leave after all the games were over and were told "If I have to call Apex police it's going to go better for me than you".

Good luck with your move....but please stop stereotyping. Everyone in Cary who moved here wants what you want now.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:12 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
I think a big difference you will find in North Carolina versus New Jersey is that there aren't a bunch of "towns" here with their own schools, police department, library, etc. Like most southern states, the county is king here. So Cary runs into Apex which runs into Holly Springs which runs in Fuquay Varina - all within Wake County and all with the same school system, library, police, etc. There are some exceptions to this in the Triangle, notably Chapel Hill, but that is the general layout, overall. There are lots of subdivisions here rather than housing set up around a downtown - some of these subdivisions act like mini towns to a degree, with houses, a community pool, a clubhouse, tennis courts, etc.

If you are looking for lower taxes, Chapel Hill/Carrboro would not be a good choice. Home prices are pretty high and taxes, while lower than NJ, are high as well. A $550K home would be about $9K in taxes. Wake County taxes are cheaper.

Good luck with your move. I grew up outside of Phila. and go to Cape May every year, but I have never heard of Spotswood.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:15 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I think a big difference you will find in North Carolina versus New Jersey is that there aren't a bunch of "towns" here with their own schools, police department, library, etc. Like most southern states, the county is king here. .

Cary, Apex, Morrisville and HS all have their own police. Libraries are county based but can easily be found in most every town.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:19 AM

771 posts, read 623,922 times
For the most part, the Triangle suburbs have a similar feel. Some areas are booming more than others, too.

North Raleigh has slightly older neighborhoods compared to other areas. A few neighborhoods close to North Hills date back to the 1960s, which is fairly old for the Triangle. If you go further north, the neighborhoods are newer, typically dating back to the 1980s or 1990s. Far to the north, near Falls Lake, the area becomes more so upscale and scenic, with wooded subdivisions and various horse farms. Overall, there's less new development in north Raleigh because the area has already been "established," if that makes sense. I grew up in north Raleigh so I'm very familiar with it!

Right now, Johnston County is currently booming. You might want to consider this area, specifically Clayton. Not only is it close to Garner and downtown Raleigh, but it's also closer to the beach, if that's your thing. The schools are fine, from what I've heard.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:20 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Cary, Apex, Morrisville and HS all have their own police. Libraries are county based but can easily be found in most every town.
Good to know about the police. I didn't mean to imply that there weren't libraries all over - just that they are county-based. It was the same when I lived in Northern Virginia and Maryland, so I'm quite used to it by now. I actually like the larger county library systems - as there is generally more availability of resources due to the size. I find myself using the Orange County Library system more than the Town of Chapel Hill library as it still has a subscription to Ancestry (Chapel Hill no longer does), and they offer WiFi to Go which is awesome to take on vacations. Just picked one up a few days ago for our trip to Cape May!

Old 06-02-2021, 08:23 AM

3,304 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
but a family member works for Apex parks and rec and parents are routinely ejected from games, meets and matches. Once a couple of parents blocked this person from trying to leave after all the games were over and were told "If I have to call Apex police it's going to go better for me than you".

Good luck with your move....but please stop stereotyping. Everyone in Cary who moved here wants what you want now.
My kids have played in Apex parks and rec for years and I've coached as well. I have yet to see a parent get ejected from a game. Can it happen? I suppose so, but with regularity? I would say that's doubtful.

To your other point about the acronym for Cary, yeah that is totally played out. Maybe that became the name in the 1980's, but there are Northeast transplants all over the Triangle and I would dare to say Apex, Holly Springs, North Raleigh have the same percentage of transplants as Cary does.

As far as working at a University, Living in Apex provides you good access and a decent commute to both NCSU and UNC-CH. Even Duke for that matter. UNC is a little farther than NCSU, but if you live on the west side of town, you can take the "back way" using rt. 751.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:25 AM

3,304 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
This

Other than the school systems, the towns are pretty separated as far as municipal services are concerned. Apex even provides electricity to their residents. Every town within Wake County and even the majority NC for that matter will have their own municipal services such as police, fire, public works, etc.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:41 AM

56 posts, read 108,664 times
Ok good information. I was in this predicament 7 years ago and almost ended up taking a job in Durham. That's when I first heard the acronym for Cary, but yeah I'd imagine it's played out. Kinda like in NJ where the ongoing joke was, "What exit do you live off of?" or the comment, "In NJ we don't pump our gas we pump fists" as if we are all club fanatics.

I think I'm pretty sold on the South, SW burbs of Raleigh. I have a friend in Clayton who has had no complaints. I'm pretty confident my wife will be able to land a job with relative ease given she's in HR and there is so much growth going on in the region. I just don't want either of us to have to deal with a 30 mile commute.

Ultimately, choosing the right school is our #1. My daughter has an IEP for Communication Impairment (she's happy as a clam, but a little behind in terms of how well she articulates her thoughts as compared with other children her age). Between that and having stuff for the kids to do (rec programs, art classes, etc.) is what I'm tasked with finding out. I've already got my honey-do list!

Old 06-02-2021, 08:41 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Apex even provides electricity to their residents.
While Duke Energy is the primary supplier, there are several Public Power companies in the area.
https://www.electricities.com/public...r-communities/.

For the OP, be sure to confirm availability of natural gas and/or sewer/septic, if it matters to you. You don't have to get far outside Raleigh city limits to be on a well/septic or all electric/propane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary