Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 04:06 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,062,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
I was lucky enough to see Hamilton in 2018 at DPAC. Ticketron had a Verified Fan Program that you registered for and then the morning the tickets were on sale, they selected some people and sent an access code to your phone. Then you could go online and purchase tickets. We got Grand Tier tickets for $130. There were just a few specialty tickets that went as high as $350.00 at that time. Of course then people went and sold them for insane sums of money.

It's a wonderful play and you will love it. One thing I did before going was goggle the top ten songs from the play so I could catch all the lyrics. That in and of itself was fun. (Yes, I am a nerd for sure). Jonathan Groff as King George was hilariously on point.
We have it on Plex and DisneyPlus. The songs are great. Have seen it probably 30 times (my wife's family are musical fanatics - and Hamilton is at or above her love of West Side Story - which we had a song from in our wedding). In fact my biggest "fear" is I find the original cast so great that I'll be let down by whatever cast we see in NYC.

So, wife, super fan. Daughter (6), fan, Son (5), fan...

I think we're putting out the projector on the 4th on the patio (wife's bday is the 4th) and having friends over to watch it over some cold pops and....assorted other vices.

Last edited by GVoR; 06-26-2021 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Nice! Yeah there is just something about Broadway...my daughter loves it. We saw Waitress a few years ago and we were waiting on line to get into the theatre and one of the stars walked by and she knew him from TV (name escapes me right now) and she was like "OMG....that was (his name)". He just walked into the stage door. I think it really hit her that these people are just living their lives in NYC and then walk to theatre.

When I was in junior high I saw Christopher Reeve on Broadway in Deathtrap....that's how old I am. #1 saw him on Broadway and #2 my junior high actually no problem taking 40 kids to NYC for lunch and a show (they took us to the Bronx Zoo, too which included the subway....I really can't believe we survived the 70s and 80s!).

Ya we're looking forward to it for sure. I can't imagine anywhere else offers the same "vibe" as a show on Broadway.

Old 06-26-2021, 04:08 PM

1,204 posts, read 780,923 times
Quote:
If you have DisneyPlus or can get the login of someone who does, watch the movie of the Broadway show with the original cast, it's AMAZING.
It really is. I have watched it probably 10 times since it became available on Disney+. I just play it in the background while I’m doing something.

Old 06-27-2021, 07:58 AM

1,462 posts, read 662,560 times
Quote:
If you have DisneyPlus or can get the login of someone who does, watch the movie of the Broadway show with the original cast, it's AMAZING.
Thank you for this! Can't wait to see it with the original cast.

Old 06-27-2021, 08:38 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,071,955 times
Quote:
Any idea if Disney plus supports subtitles? Hard to follow the songs on short recordings I've heard.

Old 06-27-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Any idea if Disney plus supports subtitles? Hard to follow the songs on short recordings I've heard.
It does.

Old 06-27-2021, 08:46 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,266,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
I was lucky enough to see Hamilton in 2018 at DPAC. Ticketron had a Verified Fan Program that you registered for and then the morning the tickets were on sale, they selected some people and sent an access code to your phone. Then you could go online and purchase tickets. We got Grand Tier tickets for $130. There were just a few specialty tickets that went as high as $350.00 at that time. Of course then people went and sold them for insane sums of money.

It's a wonderful play and you will love it. One thing I did before going was goggle the top ten songs from the play so I could catch all the lyrics. That in and of itself was fun. (Yes, I am a nerd for sure). Jonathan Groff as King George was hilariously on point.
I was there in 2018 and yes, I paid $350 for my ticket and $350 for my daughter's ticket! We justified it as...its Broadway, after all!!!

I actually love the idea of listening to the songs ahead of time! I didn't think to do that!!!

It was a great trip with my 2 daughters and I got some shopping in to!!! NY Pizza and dumplings from Chinatown! Great trip!

Old 06-27-2021, 08:49 AM

1,204 posts, read 780,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
It does. I watched with subtitles the first time to really get what they were saying, cause on top of it being really fast and slang-y, English isn’t my first language. Afterwards, I just enjoyed or listened to it with the subtitles off. It still blows my mind that these people can rap that fast, dance and remember all the freaking lines. Poor guy who plays King George’s character- I can’t remember his name, he was in Glee and Looking - literally seems to be sweating under all that heavy costume and stage lights. Spitting all over the place while singing - that’s a real passion and talent.

Also, everyone by default supports subtitles at this point. Not doing it would be the ADA violation, I think. And with speech-to-text software have come along so far, it’s really cheap to do. Software detects most American accents with 80-90% accuracy. You just need to have a human to do the last editing/QA.

Old 06-27-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
It does. I watched with subtitles the first time to really get what they were saying, cause on top of it being really fast and slang-y, English isn’t my first language. Afterwards, I just enjoyed or listened to it with the subtitles off. It still blows my mind that these people can rap that fast, dance and remember all the freaking lines. Poor guy who plays King George’s character- I can’t remember his name, he was in Glee and Looking - literally seems to be sweating under all that heavy costume and stage lights. Spitting all over the place while singing - that’s a real passion and talent.

Also, everyone by default supports subtitles at this point. Not doing it would be the ADA violation, I think. And with speech-to-text software have come along so far, it’s really cheap to do. Software detects most American accents with 80-90% accuracy. You just need to have a human to do the last editing/QA.
Jonathan Groff.

Apparently the crown weighed so much that he came up with his walk as a result of the weight

Old 06-27-2021, 08:54 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,429,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Ya I was nearly speechless (like no offense, but really? Greensboro?) . I've never seen a show on Broadway, so I'm excited (plus the wife is a huge fan of Hamilton)

Airbnb is in Manhattan. Couple blocks south of Times Square.
Be aware that it might be illegal. NYC has strict laws about Air BnB.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...t.Rentals.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary