Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 09:16 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,221,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I wasn't going to reply again because I didn't want to continue what I probably shouldn't have started, but since the thread continues..

I sat down and read the entire thread over again (all 11 pages). Yes, my initial post shouldn't have been posted and I realize it was rude. Classic case of not thinking before I typed. I apologize to the OP for derailing what should have been a simple thread.

While my opinion doesn't change that there's a double standard by definition, I hear everyone's points. Yes, if I moved to China (or any foreign country), I would absolutely seek out American friends at first. Yes, I would likely try and find American groups and clubs in an effort to make myself more comfortable in a new foreign environment. Yes moving to a new foreign country is likely very difficult and stressful (I have never done it). Yes finding native friends in your native country is easy and not a fair comparison to the opposite.

I shouldn't have obsessed only over the double standard, and should have thought it through first. I admit the mistake. Will make the effort to use the brain before the fingers going forward.

I do hope the OP realizes there are likely many people of other nationalities in the area that share similar interests and would be happy to be friends.
Thank you for this post and for the reflection.

For the OP, I hope that the they realize that there are lots of good people in the Triangle who welcome you, and despite most not being of your cultural background, many are eager to be your friend and learn from your experiences and forge our future shared experiences that will hopefully make the entire community a better place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2021, 09:52 AM

140 posts, read 88,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I'm dying of curiosity how the OP is making out at this point.
I’m guessing he REALLY doesn’t want to hang out with Americans right now.

Last edited by Stringbender; 07-04-2021 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-04-2021, 11:39 AM

4,599 posts, read 3,800,524 times
Quote:
I wasn't going to reply again because I didn't want to continue what I probably shouldn't have started, but since the thread continues..

I sat down and read the entire thread over again (all 11 pages). Yes, my initial post shouldn't have been posted and I realize it was rude. Classic case of not thinking before I typed. I apologize to the OP for derailing what should have been a simple thread.

While my opinion doesn't change that there's a double standard by definition, I hear everyone's points. Yes, if I moved to China (or any foreign country), I would absolutely seek out American friends at first. Yes, I would likely try and find American groups and clubs in an effort to make myself more comfortable in a new foreign environment. Yes moving to a new foreign country is likely very difficult and stressful (I have never done it). Yes finding native friends in your native country is easy and not a fair comparison to the opposite.

I shouldn't have obsessed only over the double standard, and should have thought it through first. I admit the mistake. Will make the effort to use the brain before the fingers going forward.

I do hope the OP realizes there are likely many people of other nationalities in the area that share similar interests and would be happy to be friends.

Thanks for your post and thoughts - they are all good. I think it's important to remember that while people coming to America want people who are similar to them (and why not?) for the same reasons you mentioned - but I think it's more important that their kids who are born here or came here when they are at a young age - they are as American as apple pie. Isn't that the American dream?

Living in west Cary, I see many Indians, Chinese and other Asians who are very set in their own country's ways. But their kids are so American. And they have friends who are of all races and pretty much don't care (many of them still try hard to retain their own culture and many don't). But that's the best of both worlds, retain your own culture while making friends in OUR country that is very diverse.

I think we are just okay in the Triangle area.

Old 07-09-2021, 02:14 PM

12,928 posts, read 9,663,731 times
Quote:

Thanks for this post.

Old 07-10-2021, 04:50 PM

12,928 posts, read 9,663,731 times
I will say, I don't believe there's a double standard. I just don't think it's necessary for a white person to worry about seeking similar people in America.

Old 07-10-2021, 04:58 PM

6,659 posts, read 5,613,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I will say, I don't believe there's a double standard. I just don't think it's necessary for a white person to worry about seeking similar people in America.
The thread was dead buddy, let it go.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:49 AM

507 posts, read 278,945 times
I guess the OP is talking about Chinese ethnicity, the AKA Han Chinese. Although many Asians have some relations with China or Chinese, the CORE Chinese ethnicity is very very selective. IMO only four families are considered CORE Han Chinese people---people with last name of LIU, KWAN, CHANG/ZHANG, CHAO/ZHAO. Their family relationship has been there for thousands of years. Other than those four families, Chinese people have merged or melted into the rest of the world by globalization and most of them can't be called Han Chinese anymore.

Last edited by shoot001; 07-12-2021 at 07:34 AM..

Old 07-12-2021, 07:34 AM

6,659 posts, read 5,613,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot001 View Post
I guess the OP is talking about Chinese ethnicity, the AKA Han Chinese. Although many Asians have some relations with China or Chinese, the CORE Chinese ethnicity is very very selective. IMO only four families are considered CORE Han Chinese people---people with last name of LIU, KWAN, CHANG/ZHANG, CHAO/ZHAO. Their family relationship has been there for thousands of years. Other than those four families, Chinese people have merged or melted into the rest of the world by globalization.
What the hell are you going on about? I don't think the OP was looking for people with 4 last names either.......

Old 07-12-2021, 07:51 AM

507 posts, read 278,945 times
^ LOL You are envy because your last name is not on the list Mr. Tong

Old 07-12-2021, 07:59 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,067,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot001 View Post
^ LOL You are envy because your last name is not on the list Mr. Tong

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary