Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 05:59 AM

4,556 posts, read 3,754,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd105954027 View Post
I recently moved to Morrisville from New Jersey where I've been living and working for many years and started my new job in one of the large IT hardware companies in RTP as an engineer. I'd say I enjoy almost everything here - my new apartment and community, the clean and quite suburban living, the weather, the new challenging and well-paid job, the supportive coworkers and boss, etc. - almost everything only except for one thing: I have no friends here. I have no one to talk to, to hang out with, to have on a trip together at weekends.

I won't say I'm an extravert or a social guy, but I did have some friends before moving here, and everyone, however introvert they are, always needs friends. I like basketball, wakeboard, wall-climbing, boating, tasting new food, trying diff restaurant, and traveling to explore new culture and landscape. I understand there might rarely be Chinese visiting this forum but I've got to reach out proactively. If you are Chinese living in the same area, please email me at xiyaocorner[at]yahoo.com. My treat to have a Starbucks!
My neighbor in a previous neighborhood used to go to a Meetup group and also something called, "Asian professionals in the Triangle" or something similar. Since it was a broad Asian group, there were Indians and many other kinds of East Asians there, but he said plenty of Chinese also in the group. Sorry, don't have a website but do a search - there's plenty of things here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 06:45 AM

11 posts, read 11,568 times
There are several meetup groups:
eg https://www.meetup.com/Research-Tria...uage-Exchange/

Check Triangle Area Chinese American Society for events:
https://www.facebook.com/nctacas/
https://nctacas.org/
They do at least once a year a food festival in downtown and Chinese new year typically in Cary

Asia focused Organizations in NC:
https://carolinaasiacenter.unc.edu/o...anizations-nc/
Chinese American Friendship Association Community in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and Research Triangle Park
https://www.nc-cba.org/
Raleigh Dragon Boat Club: Home

Lastly through hobbies:
Triangle table tennis and badminton
https://trianglebtt.com/

Hope that helps and welcome!

Old 06-28-2021, 06:51 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I think food is a commonality over which people meet.

https://www.grandasiamarket.com/

https://www.hmart.com/storelocator/index/index/id/55/

Yes, Korean, but definitely a Chinese attraction. Meet People!
Both are popular venues.

And... Welcome to CityData, where you can always find someone to hijack your posts to pick at your requests without any attempt at answering your questions!
Right ^ lol, every forum.

However, good suggestions there. Also, huge agglomeration of Chinese students and Chinese Americans in the Glenwood area. I know Chapel Hill has some venues too.

Good luck!!

Old 06-28-2021, 08:11 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,380 times
If you're on WeChat, I know there are some pretty active groups in this area. I'm not on WeChat, so I don't really know how it works, but I have some friends who are active on there.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:34 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I understand the double standard, but I am the one that would still look weird if I say, "Hey, I just moved to the Triangle and looking for some white friends to hang out with. Please PM me."

Because the majority of the country is still white. There are white people everywhere. If you need help finding white friends, then you got a problem.
I don't understand why it matters what the majority is. If you're new here, you're new here, and you want to find people similar to you.

The schools also have a problem with families wanting to go to schools with similarly-minded people. That's what they call "lack of equity".

I have no issue with people wanting to be around people that are like them. But it's not right for it to only be acceptable for some races.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:37 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I mean I figured you were Chinese, you're just really limiting your options that's all.
OP should definitely broaden his horizons but I don't blame him for seeking comfort with familiarity.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:39 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Yeah that’s fine I totally get it. As long as we recognize the double standard.
You know there are American groups in other countries right? There's nothing wrong with it.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:42 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
I don't understand why it matters what the majority is. If you're new here, you're new here.

The schools also have a problem with families wanting to go to schools with similarly-minded people. That's what they call "lack of equity".

I have no issue with people wanting to be around people that are like them. But it's not right for it to only be acceptable for some races.
I think you're looking it at it from a perspective of someone whose family has been in the US for many years (maybe generations). If you go up to someone like you and ask what their heritage/culture is, you likely don't have a very close tie to whatever your family's origin is before arriving in the US and just identify as a "American" (even if you are Irish or German or African heritage etc....).

If you are a first or second generation immigrant, you identify with the culture/country that you or your parents have left behind because that's what you're likely have been used to or exposed to for the majority of your life. I know people who have immigrated here from Kenya and they have a tough time identifying/befriending "American" blacks and have opted instead to find other new immigrants from Kenya or Africa because of that cultural tie. I bet the same would probably be true for every race/ethnicity (though for Asians, we have a much shorter history in this country in comparison)

Assimilation isn't something that happens overnight, it's something that happens over many years and generations. Luckily, this is a country where we can hopefully meet people wherever they are in that process.

Last edited by pierretong1991; 06-28-2021 at 08:51 AM..

Old 06-28-2021, 08:57 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
hijack alert.

Old 06-28-2021, 09:11 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I think you're looking it at it from a perspective of someone whose family has been in the US for many years (maybe generations). If you go up to someone like you and ask what their heritage/culture is, you likely don't have a very close tie to whatever your family's origin is before arriving in the US and just identify as a "American" (even if you are Irish or German or African heritage etc....).

If you are a first or second generation immigrant, you identify with the culture/country that you or your parents have left behind because that's what you're likely have been used to or exposed to for the majority of your life. I know people who have immigrated here from Kenya and they have a tough time identifying/befriending "American" blacks and have opted instead to find other new immigrants from Kenya or Africa because of that cultural tie. I bet the same would probably be true for every race/ethnicity (though for Asians, we have a much shorter history in this country in comparison)

Assimilation isn't something that happens overnight, it's something that happens over many years and generations. Luckily, this is a country where we can hopefully meet people wherever they are in that process.
The double standard extends well beyond just race/nationality though. I used the schools as an example, because they use income and zip code as factors in "diversifying" the schools. They do that because it's the legal way for them to diversify, but the reality is they don't care about income, they care about race. If they could legally assign students to schools based on race, they would.

If I came on here and said "I'm new here, and I want to live in a neighborhood where there's nobody who makes under x per year in income", you can be sure that it would not be acceptable and I'd be called things that I am not. But yet it's perfectly ok to say "I'm <insert minority here> and want to live in a neighborhood with mostly <insert minority here>". Why am I not allowed to live around people that are most like me? Why does my race/nationality matter?

Anyway, way off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary