Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 03:10 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
To be fair, I think even Europeans moving here probably wouldn't mind befriending people from the same country as them. NC State is partnered with a french business school and there's an exchange program and they all end up just hanging out together (because they can speak french with each other and have similar values/shared culture etc....)
Hell, you should see the New Yorkers' gatherings, and how they talk about "down here" after being here for 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 03:12 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Hell, you should see the New Yorkers' gatherings, and how they talk about "down here" after being here for 20 years.
laughing at our pizza and bagel offerings here.......

Old 06-28-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
laughing at our pizza and bagel offerings here.......
I wish.
Snorting at how things are done, vs. how it was at "home," when this is the only home their kids have ever known.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:10 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,754,316 times
Quote:
To be fair, I think even Europeans moving here probably wouldn't mind befriending people from the same country as them. NC State is partnered with a french business school and there's an exchange program and they all end up just hanging out together (because they can speak french with each other and have similar values/shared culture etc....)

pierretong1991, that's EXACTLY correct! I am Greek and the majority of my family is from Greece (directly). Now although they may appear mostly "white," they have a thick accent speaking English and ask me every week if there are "any Greeks or Indians in the Triangle area we can talk to." My parents ask me everyday if "I met somebody Greek today?"

Why Indian? Because many in my family have married into Hindu Indian families and the love it. Looks like the large, ridiculous numbers of families of Greek and Indian people get together and have fun due to the large weddings.

But to answer the question, I asked my Greek family this C-D issue. My FIL said, "I'm Greek and I'm not sure why America has trouble with my Indian relatives moving here? They want to be near Indians for now and I like to talk to people from Greece if you can do it? If you can't, then don't worry, my son."

My FIL who is almost 88 y/o said in Greek, "What is the big damn deal if people want to hang out with their own people, their own language, or people who look like them? I love this country but don't understand it either. I should have stayed my ass in Europe."

This was all very round-about, but it shows that this thread seems pointless.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
pierretong1991, that's EXACTLY correct! I am Greek and the majority of my family is from Greece (directly). Now although they may appear mostly "white," they have a thick accent speaking English and ask me every week if there are "any Greeks or Indians in the Triangle area we can talk to." My parents ask me everyday if "I met somebody Greek today?"

Why Indian? Because many in my family have married into Hindu Indian families and the love it. Looks like the large, ridiculous numbers of families of Greek and Indian people get together and have fun due to the large weddings.

But to answer the question, I asked my Greek family this C-D issue. My FIL said, "I'm Greek and I'm not sure why America has trouble with my Indian relatives moving here? They want to be near Indians for now and I like to talk to people from Greece if you can do it? If you can't, then don't worry, my son."

My FIL who is almost 88 y/o said in Greek, "What is the big damn deal if people want to hang out with their own people, their own language, or people who look like them? I love this country but don't understand it either. I should have stayed my ass in Europe."

This was all very round-about, but it shows that this thread seems pointless.

Well...
The point of the thread was a request for help meeting people.
Reasonable, no?
The point of the hijack was to embarrass a new CDer, to see if he can be run off.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:33 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,199 times
Quote:
[/b]

Well...
Reasonable, no?
The point of the hijack was to embarrass a new CDer, to see if he can be run off.
Yes, and from the quotes it also seems to serve to corroborate my Ignore list......sorry, couldn't resist....but sheesh, way to roll out the Welcome Wagon.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:00 PM

18,088 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Too few threads on C-D actually help the OP and answer their question(s), and instead turn into narcissistic rants, soap-boxing, whatabout-isming, and oneupmanship-ing.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Too few threads on C-D actually help the OP and answer their question(s), and instead turn into narcissistic rants, soap-boxing, whatabout-isming, and oneupmanship-ing.
It's a rude hijack when the poster jumps on the OP immediately.
When a thread has provided answers and helpfulness, and likelyrun itscourse, some OT stuff is less annoying. Yeah, I indulge.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:31 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
[/b]

Well...
Reasonable, no?
Quote:
It's a rude hijack when the poster jumps on the OP immediately.
When a thread has provided answers and helpfulness, and likelyrun itscourse, some OT stuff is less annoying. Yeah, I indulge.
My bad I didn’t mean to intrude on your lead generation

Old 06-28-2021, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
My bad I didn’t mean to intrude on your lead generation
Of course you didn't.
You were focused on embarrassing and harassing a CD newbie.
It's him to whom you owe apologies, not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary