Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 09:01 PM

177 posts, read 366,195 times

Advertisements

I would like information on Wake schools in general and Athens Drive specifically as I have a tchg interview there in about a week. Have previously lived in NC but not Raleigh and would like any info on apts/condos/townhouses in the area that are safe, affordable, and in a good area. I know Cary is considered a good part of town but not sure about what housing options are affordable there - I would ideally like to purchase a TH with about 1200 sf or so. Any info would be helpful as if things go well I would be moving over the summer from eastern VA - probably in July. Thanks!

Last edited by profesora; 05-12-2008 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 07:46 AM

85 posts, read 199,641 times
I don't have children in HS so my opinion is based on people i know who do as well as perception from other i've either seen or heard.

i've never heard bad things per se about athens. i think its a normal kids hs, not really prestigious nor run down. i think its just an average hs. the area around athens is close to nc state, as well. but the school itself is sorta in a decent area, close to a nc state university and apts so you'll have living options if you want to live close to college students. also cary is down the street and i know they've built several apts and townhome development off of tryon rd, south raleigh not too far from athen drive hs area.

but as far as the hs goes, i think its a decent school with average students not held as highly as probably broughton, leesville rd or enloe, in terms of academics, etc. it seems those schools are held highly here in raleigh, in my yrs living in the triangle.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:23 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,663,708 times
It would also be helpful to let us know your price range (affordable as you mention) as that can be subjective. I'm sure something will suit you, just depends if you want new or if location is a larger factor along with price.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:09 PM

177 posts, read 366,195 times
Thanks for the info. I'm looking for housing about 115 - 130K or so if I can find something in that range, with 2BA/2BA and 1100sf or more. Would prefer to be about 20 minutes from work depending on traffic and location of job. Waiting to hear about other possible jobs with the district so will see what happens. Have seen some housing online there I like but need to wait and see @the job. At least if something works out the housing there is more affordability than where I am now (HR VA area). Thanks for any help/advice anyone has!

Old 05-15-2008, 09:57 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
One kind of cool thing about Athens, which may make no difference at all to you or might, is that the school library is also a public library in the county system. I've used the library before and it always feels weird going back into a "high school library" after all this time!

Yes, there should be lots of affordable apartments & housing near there, but much of it is college students. I work near this part of town and go to the grocery store, post office etc very near Athens, and it seems quite safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary