Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:14 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times

Advertisements

I too think some are falsely finding fault in something that is supposed to be a good thing. These are elementary school kids. They aren't going to be fluent in ANY language in third grade (or fifth) anyway, and certainly aren't going to be immersed whether they have to switch schools ONCE or not. The point is exposure, concept and understanding. In any case, being exposed to language in elementary school can ONLY be a good thing even if they have to switch languages half way through their education to something else. We're talking about elementary school, not in high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 02:34 PM

615 posts, read 1,502,889 times
We're from NJ and my daughter started Spanish classses in K. in public school. It was a "special/enrichment" class just like gym, music etc. 1x per week. We travel to Mexico on vacation a lot so it does come in handy(I don't know any Spanish at all...not my dh).

Old 05-14-2008, 03:04 PM

353 posts, read 995,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Some people will never be happy I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I too think some are falsely finding fault in something that is supposed to be a good thing.

All I'm saying is that I have PLENTY of reason to believe this board's motives are ANYTHING but altruistic.

It has nothing to do with me being "happy" -- I am not in Wake anymore and my child will NEVER attend the schools. And it's funny how my finding "fault" shifts the blame to ME (and other parents like me) when it's the un-parent-friendly, arrogant, know-it-all policies and outright LIES ("capacity crisis"?!?!) of the BOE that has made me so pessimistic of their motives in the first place.

I suppose time will tell. Unlike the BOE, I will happily admit if I am wrong, and it won't hurt a bit, because children WILL actually benefit from the programs if they come to fruition.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:18 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
I'm relieved my son will be getting a chance to learn Spanish as it will allow him to effectively communicate with the other half of his class. I consider the entire scheme ironic as there are several children taking ESL and now there will be an even greater number going in the other direction.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:07 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCMetsGal View Post
children WILL actually benefit from the programs if they come to fruition.
Yes, they will.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:28 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
I think it's great that Wake is looking at restoring foreign language at the elementary level. I'm not sure if I'm remembering this part right, so I hope you Wake Co parents can correct me if I'm wrong. I thought that currently not all Wake Middle Schools offer foreign language. If I was a parent in Wake Co I would want them to address foreign lang in middle school first. But hopefully they will accomplish this at the same time they add foreign language in elementary.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:33 PM

353 posts, read 995,728 times
PDXmom:

You're correct. And, while people may say it's a money thing, or a lack-of-teachers thing, I have been told that WCPSS admitted to certain parents that it's a magnet-school-thing; ie: They cannot offer FL at "regular" schools, because the magnets that offer it are MORE attractive to parents only BECAUSE they have programs (like FL) that "regular" schools don't have.

Lose that "carrot on a stick" and you lose the impetus you had driving parents to apply, and make the sacrifices associated with sending their kids, to magnets.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:10 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Currently not all middle schools have it, but many do offer FL (mostly Spanish) and are "regular" schools, not magnets.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:21 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
I find it interesting that schools are teaching a second language when they're having enough problems teaching the first language. According to some sources (http://www.unctv.org/focuson/literacy/index.html - broken link), North Carolina's been at the bottom 11 states in terms of reading proficiency.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:00 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
I find it interesting that schools are teaching a second language when they're having enough problems teaching the first language. According to some sources (http://www.unctv.org/focuson/literacy/index.html - broken link), North Carolina's been at the bottom 11 states in terms of reading proficiency.
I'm not fan of WCPSS and am relieved that my daughter will start school in VA this fall, but the fact that NC schools might be ranked in the bottom 11 in terms of reading proficiency doesn't mean much for Wake County. Wake County is in no way representative of the state (for example, median family income in the US is around $50k, for NC it's around $48k and for Wake County it's around $67k) and the schools here on average are much better than an average NC school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary