Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2021, 09:23 PM

599 posts, read 334,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
I used to think the most dangerous thing here is the tailgating, but I've come to consider even more dangerous and frequent is the rampant passing on the right.
This drives me crazy and happens all the time. I don't drive on 40 that often, but every time I do I've got people passing me on the right when the left lane is wide open.

And I'm always nervous when passing people here because I assume someone else will be passing that same car on the right. Then they'll try to get in front of them from the right as I try to get in front of them from the left.

Is left lane passing even taught in driving school here?

Old 07-09-2021, 07:13 AM

750 posts, read 855,669 times
I have a new 16 year old driver and I don’t feel comfortable letting him drive on many roads because of the truly appalling driving I see. I’ve driven all over the world from Africa to the Middle East to Europe to here and I think probably the only place I’ve seen consistently worse driving was in Qatar. What is going to be done about it? Why do people drive like that?

Old 07-09-2021, 07:15 AM

750 posts, read 855,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
This drives me crazy and happens all the time. I don't drive on 40 that often, but every time I do I've got people passing me on the right when the left lane is wide open.

And I'm always nervous when passing people here because I assume someone else will be passing that same car on the right. Then they'll try to get in front of them from the right as I try to get in front of them from the left.

I see this all the time too and figured in the usa people are taught to pass on the left or right whichever they prefer! It’s a whole lot safer to pass in the fast lane

Old 07-09-2021, 07:59 AM

1,311 posts, read 2,944,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post

2 I have never seen so few cops “running radar” anywhere else I have driven. Even Western MA (rural part of the state) has cops looking for a ticket from anyone. And highways? Forget about it. If you don’t see a couple of unmarked staties pulling folks for speeding on any highway (federal or state) in MA anytime you drive there you aren’t paying attention.
Since the pandemic started I've seen fewer SP on I-540, so much so that it's like a speedway. I've had guys pass me by doing (guessing) 80+ as if there were no consequences...which I'm guessing there isn't.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:01 AM

1,311 posts, read 2,944,633 times
Quote:

Probably can't pass on the left because of drivers camping in that lane.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:20 AM

6,658 posts, read 5,607,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
Probably can't pass on the left because of drivers camping in that lane.
Yeah whenever I pass on the right, I'm always forced to because of someone camping in the left lane and going the same speed or slower than the vehicle I'm trying to pass.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:20 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,065,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
Since the pandemic started I've seen fewer SP on I-540, so much so that it's like a speedway. I've had guys pass me by doing (guessing) 80+ as if there were no consequences...which I'm guessing there isn't.
Could be, but my observations predate the Rona. Admittedly I have never been a commuter here, so consider the source.

In MA, there was a police presence on all roads; town cops on town portions of state routes, town cops in bar parking lots chalking tires, town cops sitting at town lines running radar and on the highways you had staties either on the side of the road running radar in marked cruisers or unmarked sports cars or you had em traveling within traffic yanking people as necessary.

I have been pulled over for speeding twice. Once I was the DD the night before, girlfriend/her friends left their car at a bar, I drove them back to the bar first thing in the AM, then took 295 (around Providence RI) to a golf bachelor party. 7am, next to no traffic on the road, I was doing 82. Unmarked RI Statie running radar from in between a massive "Red Rocks" like bolder set in the median on the highway. The other time I was at the 95/495 merge in Mansfield MA, MA statie merged onto 95 NB from 495; a Ford Explorer with PA plates freaked out after seeing the cop, cut into middle lane in front of me, brake checked, I went left, statie got behind me, I sped up to clear the lane for him, he yanked me for speeding (75 in a 65, I fought the ticket, he didn't show up, it was thrown out).

My point being with these anecdotes is, while I am no fan of overly offensive police tactics (and I'm a dude who has a no cop in my house rule; even if they are friends, unless you have a warrant), you don't have to go all the way to seemingly zero police tactics (as it pertains to traffic) to clean up the bad driving actors.

Maybe they have higher priorities; I was a juror on a Federal Fentynol case last week, maybe we send our staties to focus on that as it seems like a serious F'ing problem. I dunno. But for a state that taxes me more than Taxachusetts did....financial resources don't seem to be the cause.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:21 AM

22,693 posts, read 36,875,727 times
Quote:

My two oldest went on the highway when they took driver's ed. Not my youngest.

Keep in mind road tests are also waived right now. My DD has her full license, never took a road test. And I'm sure plenty of parents lied about how many hours their kids had. Heck we even had a mom arguing her son shouldn't have lost his license for his poor grades.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:23 AM

22,693 posts, read 36,875,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
I've driven enough in Raleigh to make an assessment. In Boston, we're fast, rude and aggressive. But for the most part, skilled and predictable. In the Triangle, you're fast, rude and aggressive. Without the skill or predictability. Hands down, some of the dumbest and most dangerous drivers I've come across in 50 years of driving and I've driven in most of the lower 48. I've got a second home in Greensboro now and the Triad is just as bad. It's almost as though none of you ever really learned how to drive.
Yeah, having talked to many people involved in accidents I can assuredly say the bad driving is due to a lack of knowledge of the rules of the road of local born drivers, plus an in bred desire to be "polite" which leads them to do some really, really stupid things including not taking the right of way when it's their turn, which just causes issues, and stopping at green lights to let people make turns in front of them (happened to me on Davis Dr a couple months ago - a four lane 45 mph road) and waving other cars into traffic. The list is endless really. It's actually worse in the western part of the state.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:35 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,065,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
My two oldest went on the highway when they took driver's ed. Not my youngest.

Keep in mind road tests are also waived right now. My DD has her full license, never took a road test. And I'm sure plenty of parents lied about how many hours their kids had. Heck we even had a mom arguing her son shouldn't have lost his license for his poor grades.
I got my license as a 19 year old. When I got it, MA still had state mandated insurance rates (basically keeping bad drivers from paying higher rates than good; they have since got rid of this). My insurance on a 7 year old vehicle was 2800 a year - to save 20% I took drivers ed with a bunch of 15 year olds.

I took the classes and then had three practice sessions (one of which I almost killed us in a Y intersection yield situation; teacher was from Boston and told me "don't stop at the yield, yield means go strong" so I did and merged onto a road a full speed and almost hit a pickup truck) and didn't have to wait the 6 months to get a road test. Road test was in an industrial park around a DMV. Staties conducted the test and focused on things like hand placement on wheel; checking mirrors etc (i.e not really driving skills). Got to the point of preforming a three point turn. Completed that. Headed for a four way stop. While waiting my turn at the stop, an 80 year old woman blew through the stop and smoked a car turning in front of her. Statie asked me to return to DMV, where he passed me and then got in his cruiser and went back to accident scene. That was my whole test....a three point turn.

One of the girls in my driver's ed class (who routinely cheated on her in class tests) was driving with her mom during her proby period....decided it would be fun to do 90 on 495....lost control, crossed the grass median and hit a tree full speed on the opposite side of the interstate. Both met their maker.

My best friend's wife is from RI. Driver's Ed wasn't even mandatory until after we were of driving age. Then again it's also a state where part of any DMV related penalties required you to go to some old Italian dude in Pawtucket and pay $25 for a "Stamp" to then return to the DMV and get your license reinstated. The Mob says what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary