Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 09:29 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times

Advertisements

the CD version of NextDoor's "Don't spray for mosquitoes!"

Old 07-09-2021, 03:22 PM

4,551 posts, read 3,752,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the CD version of NextDoor's "Don't spray for mosquitoes!"
I figured there wasn’t a traffic thread on here in a while. Perfect timing since so many deaths on triangle roadways recently.

Old 07-09-2021, 03:43 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
Watching local news, Some Traffic lights out in Durham/Chapel Hill area. Rain, wind, no power/traffic lights…yikes!

Old 07-09-2021, 04:37 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,788,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
My two oldest went on the highway when they took driver's ed. Not my youngest.

Keep in mind road tests are also waived right now. My DD has her full license, never took a road test. And I'm sure plenty of parents lied about how many hours their kids had. Heck we even had a mom arguing her son shouldn't have lost his license for his poor grades.
Road tests for teens resumed a couple of weeks ago. (My daughter's friend just failed the road test for her license.) NC DMV also just lessened the time between permit and provisional license to 6 months. We are excited about that since my daughter was so delayed getting her permit due to Covid.

Old 07-10-2021, 04:53 PM

781 posts, read 744,063 times
I hate driving on the highway here. I too have lived in areas with far worse drivers, cough cough Miami, plus another one of the biggest cities in the country. The people here aren't as aggressive, but people seem so confused on 40. I try to avoid some of the chaotic major shopping plazas at busy times too.

I got Apple Car Play last year and that's been helpful, but nope, still don't like to drive into Raleigh unless I REALLY have to. I'll go see the sunflowers soon, but I mostly stick to my Cary/Apex bubble. I do like that I live in a VERY walkable area and don't need to always get in the car.

Old 07-10-2021, 05:50 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Road tests for teens resumed a couple of weeks ago. (My daughter's friend just failed the road test for her license.) NC DMV also just lessened the time between permit and provisional license to 6 months. We are excited about that since my daughter was so delayed getting her permit due to Covid.
My teen is doing driver's ed this summer. Got delayed due to COVID last year. She definitely won't be going on 40 any time soon. She's terrified of roads like that.

Old 07-10-2021, 06:35 PM

4,551 posts, read 3,752,342 times
Just an example of this ridiculousness, but it's actually very important:

Today, I saw a 34 y/o male driving a Toyota Prius, this morning (7/10/2021) Saturday at around 6.30am, restrained driver (he was wearing his seatbelt), who was driving approx 95 mph on the 440 beltline traveling westbound and he rear-ended a car who entered into his lane at the 401 on-ramp onto 440 westbound. (I know this information because I spoke with the NC state trooper who came into the Emergency room). I know many on here think driving fast is okay if you are skilled at it, but how about this guy?

Obviously, he was going 95mph and he was unable to look out for traffic or just plain didn't care. Toxicology report shows no alcohol and no other drugs in his system. The car that was rear-ended was a Toyota Camry with 2 people in it - a mother who is 43 y/o and a child who is 11 y/o. The mother has a whiplash cervical injury but no neuro deficits for now and the 11 y/o is fine, just a few scrapes and bruises.

Why are you going this fast? He has a C7 vertebrae fracture with almost complete injury to his spinal cord at the C7 level. (This means at the bottom of his neck).

He is now paralyzed from the neck down - he can hardly move his hands. He cannot move any leg. He has no control over his bowel movements anymore. The driver of the "offending" car has 2 kids - a 2 y/o and a 6 y/o. His wife doesn't know know how she'll handle this now.

This story above is nothing new and happens on an almost daily basis. Who can we contact to have some enforcement to not only save lives, but to help keep our lives at their current level? It is ridiculous. This could be any of us.

Last edited by Universe93B; 07-10-2021 at 06:45 PM..

Old 07-10-2021, 06:59 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Just an example of this ridiculousness, but it's actually very important:

Today, I saw a 34 y/o male driving a Toyota Prius, this morning (7/10/2021) Saturday at around 6.30am, restrained driver (he was wearing his seatbelt), who was driving approx 95 mph on the 440 beltline traveling westbound and he rear-ended a car who entered into his lane at the 401 on-ramp onto 440 westbound. (I know this information because I spoke with the NC state trooper who came into the Emergency room). I know many on here think driving fast is okay if you are skilled at it, but how about this guy?

Obviously, he was going 95mph and he was unable to look out for traffic or just plain didn't care. Toxicology report shows no alcohol and no other drugs in his system. The car that was rear-ended was a Toyota Camry with 2 people in it - a mother who is 43 y/o and a child who is 11 y/o. The mother has a whiplash cervical injury but no neuro deficits for now and the 11 y/o is fine, just a few scrapes and bruises.

Why are you going this fast? He has a C7 vertebrae fracture with almost complete injury to his spinal cord at the C7 level. (This means at the bottom of his neck).

He is now paralyzed from the neck down - he can hardly move his hands. He cannot move any leg. He has no control over his bowel movements anymore. The driver of the "offending" car has 2 kids - a 2 y/o and a 6 y/o. His wife doesn't know know how she'll handle this now.

This story above is nothing new and happens on an almost daily basis. Who can we contact to have some enforcement to not only save lives, but to help keep our lives at their current level? It is ridiculous. This could be any of us.
Not trying to dispute really anything you are saying here, but there is a difference between “going fast” and doing almost 100 MPH in a friggin Prius. There’s fast; say 10 over the posted limit, and there’s reckless. It’s why many states (don’t know about NC) have a completely different set of punishments for drivers who go over the posted speed limit (5-10 is a ticket; above 10 over is reckless endangerment and has different penalties assessed; or whatever the numbers precisely are)

Glad the family he crashed into appears to not be seriously impacted. As for him, play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Last edited by GVoR; 07-10-2021 at 07:48 PM..

Old 07-10-2021, 07:08 PM

1,228 posts, read 797,653 times
Who knew a Prius could do 95mph? I would also worry about a mental health issue. Please watch out for HIPPA, as you revealed some pretty specific info, and you could likely be tracked down as the source. Not kidding, and very sympathetic. There are anonymized case studies, and there are eyewitness reports, and you are a medical professional.

Old 07-10-2021, 07:41 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,500,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
Who knew a Prius could do 95mph? I would also worry about a mental health issue. Please watch out for HIPPA, as you revealed some pretty specific info, and you could likely be tracked down as the source. Not kidding, and very sympathetic. There are anonymized case studies, and there are eyewitness reports, and you are a medical professional.
Agreed...age/gender, model of car, date/time/location of accident, number of kids and their ages...yikes. I would delete.

Last edited by LordHelmit; 07-10-2021 at 08:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary