Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 08:49 PM

4,639 posts, read 3,838,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
Who knew a Prius could do 95mph? I would also worry about a mental health issue. Please watch out for HIPPA, as you revealed some pretty specific info, and you could likely be tracked down as the source. Not kidding, and very sympathetic. There are anonymized case studies, and there are eyewitness reports, and you are a medical professional.

Thanks, RaleighSentinel, but yep, I know HIPAA well - don't worry.

A Prius can easily do 95 mph. Even the ****tiest econobox car can do over 90mph these days. That's why nobody is afraid. Like someone else mentioned on here, it sure would help with speeds if drivers knew their tire could blow out at high speeds, or their brakes could fail, or their wheel would fall off, or the engine could stall/cut off...etc etc.

Last edited by Universe93B; 07-10-2021 at 08:57 PM..

Old 07-10-2021, 09:14 PM

6,662 posts, read 5,628,706 times
I was waiting to turn left from NC 55 onto Morrisville Parkway at the flashing yellow (one left turn lane), guy pulls up next to me and turns left in front of me…….always something new each day to be amazed at

Old 07-10-2021, 10:00 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,420,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yeah, having talked to many people involved in accidents I can assuredly say the bad driving is due to a lack of knowledge of the rules of the road of local born drivers, plus an in bred desire to be "polite" which leads them to do some really, really stupid things including not taking the right of way when it's their turn, which just causes issues, and stopping at green lights to let people make turns in front of them (happened to me on Davis Dr a couple months ago - a four lane 45 mph road) and waving other cars into traffic. The list is endless really. It's actually worse in the western part of the state.
I was at the beach recently with a friend and we saw a guy driving a pickup pulling a boat on a trailer in a 15 or 25 mph two lane street honk his horn at a guy in another bigass pickup backing up into the two lane road right in front of the boat guy. I was all "dang that guy backing up sure needs to know how to drive" and my friend was like "I thought the other guy should have let him go first." I was kinda dumbfounded. She is a super sweet person, but that is just the kind of behavior that leads to an accident. The guy with the boat trailer was driving down the street and she thought he should have stopped in the middle of the road and let the guy backing out (I think he was straightening up his parking) go first.

For the record I am born-n-raised NC-er and she grew up in VA.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:21 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,882,911 times
I'm seeing this here where I haven't elsewhere. All that well-intention-ness is going to cause worse issues than ignoring misguided politeness. I flatly refuse, and did twice in the past month, to break the rules over this.

Old 07-11-2021, 06:34 AM

22,740 posts, read 36,999,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I was at the beach recently with a friend and we saw a guy driving a pickup pulling a boat on a trailer in a 15 or 25 mph two lane street honk his horn at a guy in another bigass pickup backing up into the two lane road right in front of the boat guy. I was all "dang that guy backing up sure needs to know how to drive" and my friend was like "I thought the other guy should have let him go first." I was kinda dumbfounded. She is a super sweet person, but that is just the kind of behavior that leads to an accident. The guy with the boat trailer was driving down the street and she thought he should have stopped in the middle of the road and let the guy backing out (I think he was straightening up his parking) go first.

For the record I am born-n-raised NC-er and she grew up in VA.
Yes yielding to people backing is a big thing in western NC.

And yes I understand your point that you're a native NC-er and know the rules while a VA-er doesn't. BUt that doesn't change the fact that over the last 6 years I've statementized close to 10,000 people and it's really disheartening to have people tell me over and over again the rules of the road and they're 100% committed to their position and they're 100% wrong.
I'm also an arbitrator for ArbForums which is the dispute resolution system for companies that can't agree on liability between their insureds, so I'm also reading statements from drivers for almost every other insurer in NC (I think 99% of insurers belong to arb forums) along with rental car companies, fleet management services, etc. You're just gonna have to trust me on this one. I know it's bad form to "bash the locals" on this CD forum because the feelings get hurt, but sometimes it's just the truth. Everything said on this thread is true.

Last edited by twingles; 07-11-2021 at 07:12 AM..

Old 07-11-2021, 06:37 AM

22,740 posts, read 36,999,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Road tests for teens resumed a couple of weeks ago. (My daughter's friend just failed the road test for her license.) NC DMV also just lessened the time between permit and provisional license to 6 months. We are excited about that since my daughter was so delayed getting her permit due to Covid.
When we went last month they had supposedly resumed (think they resumed in the spring actually, which is when I made the appointment for her) and they gathered all the road testers in one spot. They wanted to get things rolling for them as it was getting late. A mom was like “I heard they’re still being waived” ( meanwhile as we waited on line outside we saw people taking road tests) and the lady who gathered them was baffled...she looked at this guy walking by and he goes “yeah we are still waiving them”. I am pretty sure this particular location is making up their own rules because they are sooooo backed up even with appointments so my daughter and all her friends have their full license without taking their road test.

Now it’s possible they waived only for kids who already have their level 2. But NOTHING on the DMV website indicates that. Still says if your road test was waived and you have a level 2 you have to take a road test to get the level 3.

Also it took a month for the license to come in the mail so if you’re looking for it to come in the usual ten days - don’t.

Last edited by twingles; 07-11-2021 at 07:16 AM..

Old 07-11-2021, 07:09 AM

6,420 posts, read 5,559,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I was waiting to turn left from NC 55 onto Morrisville Parkway at the flashing yellow (one left turn lane), guy pulls up next to me and turns left in front of me…….always something new each day to be amazed at
I DARED to cruise at 72 in the right lane on 540 last night (where the speed limit is 70) and some guy decided he needed to go around me by passing ON THE RIGHT via the exit lane for 70/Glenwood and cutting back into the right lane. There was one car in the lane to the left of me that would have maybe made him have to slow down for 10 seconds in order to pass us both on the left. He apparently had no time for that.

Old 07-11-2021, 08:44 AM

Similar thing just happened to me on 40 near Hillsborough/Mebane. I was in the right lane (where it's two lanes going south) and a guy came up behind me and instead of passing on the left, went into the entrance ramp that was ending in 100 feet or so and passed me. Crazy!

Old 07-11-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
And yes I understand your point that you're a native NC-er and know the rules while a VA-er doesn't.
Oh, I wasn't disputing your expertise, more baffled at my friend! The guy was properly driving in the road towing a boat and she was advocating for him to stop in the middle of the road and let some doofus in a pickup truck back out into the road! We were on bikes watching the whole thing.

FWIW, I do not like pickup trucks, so not sure if that makes me an outlier as a NC-er or not, but you can bet that most of the big trash and much of the little trash (fast food wrappers etc) on the side of the road has come off a pickup's unsecured load. I see crap flying out of the bed of trucks all the time.

I have also been in three accidents that resulted in two of my cars being totaled due to pickup trucks. One was like the incident we witnessed, somebody in a pickup backing up into me without looking behind them (that one didn't total the car). None of the accidents was remotely my fault (one truck crossed the center line, other truck pulled out from a side road in front of me when I was going 55 down the highway).

Last edited by poppydog; 07-11-2021 at 09:02 AM..

Old 07-11-2021, 02:50 PM

3,452 posts, read 2,846,944 times
I live not far from the intersection of 401 north and 96. I have seen multiple accidents (and almost had one) at the 401 and Young Street interchange. People coming from Rolesville Rd (which is Young St on the Rolesville side) don't even stop for their red lights, they blow through it.

Once you get north of the Main Street turn off for Rolesville, all bets are off. I set my cruise at 65 (in a 55) and I get blown off the road once I get past that interchange.

The other place where it's just insane is I-87/64/264. It's a 70 mph zone and I set my cruise at 78. I watch cars coming up at 100+ mph, dodging in and out of traffic, just to cross 3 lanes from the left lane to the exit they want. I have NEVER seen NCHP out there unless there's an accident, and there are plenty of those. I have a dash cam, I have it because of all the nutty drivers out there. I need proof if there's an accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary