Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 06:06 PM

4,578 posts, read 3,777,085 times

Advertisements

In the last 2 weeks, how many deaths have we read about in the local news? It's way too many. Just this morning, an Amazon delivery truck crashed into an 18 wheeler and he/she died. It's pretty sad that this is not surprising news these days in the Triangle.

https://abc11.com/i85-crash-amazon-d...m-nc/10868339/

I drive 40 minutes to work and 40 min back so I see a lot of very bad driving. Why does everyone have to drive fast? Why weave in and out of traffic like a dumbass? Why do you go in the left most lane and think you can just move over 4 lanes to get your exit, and then get pissed off when you don't get into the exit easily? Why tailgate the minivan or SUV carrying babies or toddlers in them?

Even with the July 4th weekend (I know because I worked the entire weekend in the evenings and the graveyard shift), there is STILL NO LAW ENFORCEMENT patrolling the roads. All they want to do is maybe make some random DUI checkpoint. You guys have no idea how many Trauma Level 1's due to a motor vehicle accident has come through the emergency room in the last month.

What is wrong with this place? With the amount of traffic and new people moving here, we need constant LEOs checking for speeders and everything else, even if it is rush hour - morning or afternoon. Who do we need to contact for this? We don't live in some poor state without resources - too many people are becoming disabled or even losing their lives on our roadways. And those of you who think you are "good enough" to drive fast without causing an accident, you're part of the problem.

Old 07-07-2021, 06:10 PM

6,658 posts, read 5,605,036 times
There was a teenager who crashed into the business next to Lilly’s Pizza at Five Points on the holiday after going 80-100 mph…….(speed limit is 35 mph)

Old 07-07-2021, 06:16 PM

22,686 posts, read 36,866,029 times
You think it's bad here. We drove to Atlanta and back last week. Lawd. If they ever invent flying cars I am flying right over SC next time I go anywhere. And I85 has supplanted I95 for nefarious truckers.

There was a fatal accident in Morrisville last week. Also a teenager although he was not the fatality.

Old 07-07-2021, 06:31 PM

4,578 posts, read 3,777,085 times
^
Yep, I know. So I've lived in Atlanta for 6 years, in East Rutherford, NJ for 3 years and in Fairfax VA for a couple years. I know how these places are with their very bad traffic and aggressive drivers.

But our area is becoming like that, but with absolutely no LEO enforcement whatsoever. Now I expect Atlanta to be like that. But this place? C'mon - it's not that big and there should be no reason that so many people lose their lives on Triangle roadways everyday. And if not losing their lives, they are becoming paralyzed and usually it's a quadriplegic injury (paralyzed from the neck down).

If everyone drives like idiots, your seat belt is NOT going to save you.

Old 07-07-2021, 06:40 PM

6,658 posts, read 5,605,036 times
I wonder if the police are more hesitant to pull people over now given the happenings of the past few years or if it’s just simply a resource issue

Old 07-07-2021, 06:44 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,798,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I wonder if the police are more hesitant to pull people over now given the happenings of the past few years or if it’s just simply a resource issue
Probably the latter. I know Durham is absolutely desperate for sheriffs deputies (maybe not paying less than my employers warehouse is a good start ) and I heard that the police department isn’t faring much better.

Old 07-07-2021, 07:08 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,064,198 times
My few cents on this topic, based on the metro areas I have lived or spent “some time” driving in.

1. I have always found the hodgepodge of daily drivers here (meaning where they learned their driving habits) to make it borderline unnerving to drive. The lack of predictability saps any bit of aggressive (by need) driving I had.
A. MA/RI is home to some obviously uber aggressive driving, but when everyone is aggressive, you can predict actions better. “Oh that guy is coming up on my ass real fast (in the left lane) I better speed up, move or I know he’ll cut over and back if they can.” “Yup, that guy is going to cut me off in this merge onto 93”

Here the aggressive is more “dumb” than “d’bag a-hole”. Had to commute to Federal Jury duty last week. I saw the “Doing 90 on 540 to then cut over three lanes, get up the car in the right lane’s ass and then cut back right in front of the middle car” move almost as much as I see “Carolina Squat” ‘d pickups (also dumb)

2 I have never seen so few cops “running radar” anywhere else I have driven. Even Western MA (rural part of the state) has cops looking for a ticket from anyone. And highways? Forget about it. If you don’t see a couple of unmarked staties pulling folks for speeding on any highway (federal or state) in MA anytime you drive there you aren’t paying attention.

3. Never seen/heard about so many DUI checkpoints as I have here “License check on Forestville. Heads up!”. “DUI checkpoint on Chalk”. “The Bus is on 98”.

Hahahaha what?

In 16 years of driving in MA/RI, I saw a checkpoint once and we were turning off the road before we ever got to it. Out here in the sticks, it’s every other weekend?

And I know a good number of people up North with DUIs. They just caught while traveling doing something dumb and had to pay the piper

Old 07-07-2021, 08:28 PM

4,308 posts, read 6,001,743 times
We drove to DC and back on the weekend…tons of cops pulling people over in VA. Didn’t see a single one in NC.

Interesting comments about DUI checkpoints. I’ve been here over a decade and seen exactly one. Guess I’m not out at the right time of day or in the right places or something.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
^
Yep, I know. So I've lived in Atlanta for 6 years, in East Rutherford, NJ for 3 years and in Fairfax VA for a couple years. I know how these places are with their very bad traffic and aggressive drivers.

But our area is becoming like that, but with absolutely no LEO enforcement whatsoever. Now I expect Atlanta to be like that. But this place? C'mon - it's not that big and there should be no reason that so many people lose their lives on Triangle roadways everyday. And if not losing their lives, they are becoming paralyzed and usually it's a quadriplegic injury (paralyzed from the neck down).

If everyone drives like idiots, your seat belt is NOT going to save you.
Driver's Ed is terrible in this state leaving it to parents to do most of the teaching....but they forget not to pass their bad driving skills on. Add in endless distractions and you've got a recipe for disaster. AND you'd be surprised and not in a good way how many cops don't know basic traffic law ay yi yi. But no there's not enough law enforcement presence on the roads.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
A. MA/RI is home to some obviously uber aggressive driving, but when everyone is aggressive, you can predict actions better. “Oh that guy is coming up on my ass real fast (in the left lane) I better speed up, move or I know he’ll cut over and back if they can.” “Yup, that guy is going to cut me off in this merge onto 93”

r

I totally agree with this. THere's no rhyme or reason to how people drive around here. Drift out of the slower moving right lane but make no effort to keep up with left lane traffic. Drive 15 mph below the speed limit but run the red light at the next intersection. THings like that. There's no flow or sense to it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary