Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 07:06 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot001 View Post
^^ Europe has a similar company called SAP. And I think more people know SAP than SAS.
I can’t speak for everyone, but SAS and SAP; other than the first two letters in the acronym, are like apples and tire irons.

SAS is a data analytics/modeling/statistics application.

SAP builds entire ecosystems to enable various departments to integrate their HR, Finance, Operations etc data across business unit for enterprise level resource planning.

I will agree SAP has a bigger footprint/name recognition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 07:14 AM

36 posts, read 26,297 times
Yes they can decide who to sell SAS to. But once the sale is done things will change probably a lot. Just a mater of how much change.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:31 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,714,230 times
Some change is inevitable. Goodnight isn't immortal.

I wonder if SAS or Goodnight himself owns the 737 that's based at RDU.

I wouldn't worry about Ireland and the other low-tax locales. You don't have to have a real corporate HQ in Ireland, Bermuda, Cayman Island, etc to take advantage of the low corporate tax rate there. That's one of the reasons almost all other countries are pressuring them to fall in line with a minimum corporate income tax rate.

Corporate M&A is a contact sport. There's a 50% chance that SAS would hold together more or less as-is under a new owner and a 50% chance that Broadcom would corkscrew it into the dirt.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:39 AM

36 posts, read 26,297 times
SAS owns the 737 and other planes. They have pilots as employees. I would guess they would rent the planes out when they are not using them. Someone who has been on the 737 told me it is similar to Air Force one with bedroom etc. but obviously smaller. If Broadcom falls through then I assume they will talk to others. Oracle would be a good fit and SAS actually uses Oracle quite a bit. SAS is not a database like Oracle that can handle many users updating data at the same time. They hired Oracle to build a new accounting system and it was late and over budget but they still use Oracle because it's pretty much the best database out there.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakernc24 View Post
SAS owns the 737 and other planes. They have pilots as employees. I would guess they would rent the planes out when they are not using them. Someone who has been on the 737 told me it is similar to Air Force one with bedroom etc. but obviously smaller. If Broadcom falls through then I assume they will talk to others. Oracle would be a good fit and SAS actually uses Oracle quite a bit. SAS is not a database like Oracle that can handle many users updating data at the same time. They hired Oracle to build a new accounting system and it was late and over budget but they still use Oracle because it's pretty much the best database out there.
I agree there are probably better fits for SAS from a buyer POV. I would not put Oracle in that bucket....because.....Larry Ellison.

And for an opinion, as a database developer/SA, I'll politely disagree with your take on Oracle; too expensive for what it is. Give me one of the open source options or even SQL Server over Oracle. (At least for what I am usually building it in; Marketing/BI/ODS)

Old 07-13-2021, 07:52 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
SAP is huge and much more than data mining.
Market cap is in the $180 billion+ range, vs. the rumored sale of SAS for $15--$20 billion range.
But, SAS is world-recognized as a leader in data mining solutions.
I see Oracle as more of a competitor of SAS. Oracle does way more than offer data mining and analytics products, which SAS is well known for, but they do have somewhat similar cultures.

Larry Ellison is also similar to Goodnight, in that they both founded extremely successful tech giants that they've nurtured through the years.

Old 07-13-2021, 08:21 AM

1,204 posts, read 778,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I agree there are probably better fits for SAS from a buyer POV. I would not put Oracle in that bucket....because.....Larry Ellison.

And for an opinion, as a database developer/SA, I'll politely disagree with your take on Oracle; too expensive for what it is. Give me one of the open source options or even SQL Server over Oracle. (At least for what I am usually building it in; Marketing/BI/ODS)
Oracle did a smart move back when they bought Sun Microsystems. I personally like MySQL - but I like open source period. Other than that Oracle reminds me of those creatures in Hitchhiker’s guide to Galaxy. Kinda huge, slow, seem important but pretty boring.

Old 07-13-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Oracle did a smart move back when they bought Sun Microsystems. I personally like MySQL - but I like open source period. Other than that Oracle reminds me of those creatures in Hitchhiker’s guide to Galaxy. Kinda huge, slow, seem important but pretty boring.

I like open source too (MySQL, mongo, postgres. I even built a database on my home server on Maria)

Only one I have come into contact with that I literally can't stand is.......Couchbase/N1QL.

Old 07-13-2021, 08:57 AM

1,204 posts, read 778,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I like open source too (MySQL, mongo, postgres. I even built a database on my home server on Maria)

Only one I have come into contact with that I literally can't stand is.......Couchbase/N1QL.
Heard good things about MariaDB!

Old 07-13-2021, 09:27 AM

853 posts, read 588,821 times
I liken SAS to any other type of privately owned business. Without an heir, the company dies when the owner retires or passes. That's the disadvantage of a privately held company. Goodnight made SAS what it is and it won't be the same without him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary