Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 09:38 AM

9,157 posts, read 14,834,634 times

Advertisements

Just to be clear, the Goodnights have children, they just don't want to be involved with running SAS evidently as they are doing other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 09:59 AM

36 posts, read 26,437 times
His son had a SAS job for a while but never showed up for work. Now he does real estate development deals. Daughter works with the Umstead hotel. Not sure about other kids.

Oracle is certainly not cheap but neither is SAS. SAS has projects with billions of records, can open source DBs handle that? I worked on a SAS project with a billion records and it took 12 hours to run nightly on super fast linux servers with 64 or more cores.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:02 AM

856 posts, read 597,685 times
I was referring to a company heir apparent to continue running the company. Yes, the family will inherit the company under the inheritance laws unless Goodnight has written his will otherwise.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:16 AM

3,732 posts, read 2,073,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakernc24 View Post
His son had a SAS job for a while but never showed up for work. Now he does real estate development deals. Daughter works with the Umstead hotel. Not sure about other kids.

Oracle is certainly not cheap but neither is SAS. SAS has projects with billions of records, can open source DBs handle that? I worked on a SAS project with a billion records and it took 12 hours to run nightly on super fast linux servers with 64 or more cores.
SAS is also crazy expensive. I worked at a bank that was paying something like 250K for a seat.

Billions of records can be handled open source. Although the architect in me would question why an agg object wasn’t used in your project

I’ve bulk loaded billions of bank transactions into a system…but then wouldn’t allow end users to work with the raw form. They got access to aggs that shortened the dataset to just what they needed.

No reason to give an analyst the chance to Cartesian join a database to death.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:28 AM

36 posts, read 26,437 times
also big places like SAS tend to shy away from open source even though it 's cheaper . My part of SAS did look into using Postgres but there was strong pushback from DB guys since they were all Oracle experts.

One main reason SAS got popular because college students learned it . Now most students are learning R and Python which is not good for SAS because they are free. A lot of what SAS sells now is not the SAS language but systems that are beyond what R and Python can do . The SAS language does not bring in much cash now and it's not being updated much . Places that have existing SAS code are not likely to rewrite that in R or Python unless they have a lot of time and money . Some of that code goes back decades but it still works so it can be patched or updated.

Old 07-13-2021, 03:08 PM

428 posts, read 227,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakernc24 View Post
also big places like SAS tend to shy away from open source even though it 's cheaper . My part of SAS did look into using Postgres but there was strong pushback from DB guys since they were all Oracle experts.

One main reason SAS got popular because college students learned it . Now most students are learning R and Python which is not good for SAS because they are free. A lot of what SAS sells now is not the SAS language but systems that are beyond what R and Python can do . The SAS language does not bring in much cash now and it's not being updated much . Places that have existing SAS code are not likely to rewrite that in R or Python unless they have a lot of time and money . Some of that code goes back decades but it still works so it can be patched or updated.
Sounds sticky like some of the mainframe code Broadcom acquired a few years back. Could also help them add an enterprise AI layer to their portfolio.

Last edited by AppyHeel; 07-13-2021 at 03:24 PM..

Old 07-13-2021, 03:08 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,180,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
I liken SAS to any other type of privately owned business. Without an heir, the company dies when the owner retires or passes. That's the disadvantage of a privately held company. Goodnight made SAS what it is and it won't be the same without him.
Exactly. He has no other choice but to sell at some point, so why not make as much $$$ as he can in the process? I'm sure we'd all make the same decision given similar circumstances.

Old 07-13-2021, 04:00 PM

507 posts, read 280,350 times
https://www.wsj.com/articles/broadco...ay-11626212065

Quote:
The Wall Street Journal reported Monday that the companies were discussing a deal that would value SAS in the range of $15 billion to $20 billion, including any debt. Following the report, Jim Goodnight and John Sall, who co-founded SAS decades ago and still run the company, had a change of heart and decided not to sell to Broadcom, the people said. Whether another suitor for SAS could emerge isn’t clear

Old 07-13-2021, 04:26 PM

4,191 posts, read 4,919,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
I liken SAS to any other type of privately owned business. Without an heir, the company dies when the owner retires or passes. That's the disadvantage of a privately held company. Goodnight made SAS what it is and it won't be the same without him.
All things in life are temporary....

Old 07-13-2021, 04:43 PM

9,377 posts, read 14,246,111 times
Latest news says Goodnight has told employees that SAS is not for sale. Currently of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary