Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 05:03 PM

43,458 posts, read 77,435,858 times

Advertisements

https://www.wraltechwire.com/?p=188207
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 07:32 PM

1,228 posts, read 803,633 times
Psych!!!

Old 07-13-2021, 08:09 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,990,142 times
Kind of embarrassing leadership

Old 07-13-2021, 08:18 PM

1,228 posts, read 803,633 times
I still don’t understand what’s going on here (small brain). Did Jim Goodnight turn the red light on to put his goods up for sale, or was he just playing coy, splaying his goods and SaaS out for all to see, only to pull back, and still say he was happily bethroved? Its too much to Victorian Gothic, but his company has fermented and festered too long to have a $20B value. They jumped off the Carousel, was it into an abyss or the waiting arms of another suitor?

Old 07-14-2021, 05:17 AM

3,732 posts, read 2,070,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
I still don’t understand what’s going on here (small brain). Did Jim Goodnight turn the red light on to put his goods up for sale, or was he just playing coy, splaying his goods and SaaS out for all to see, only to pull back, and still say he was happily bethroved? Its too much to Victorian Gothic, but his company has fermented and festered too long to have a $20B value. They jumped off the Carousel, was it into an abyss or the waiting arms of another suitor?
My completely non expert opinion; I figure it was for another suitor and this was just “give everyone a whiff” move.

Forget where I read it, so I can’t claim it as my own, but I’ll parrot the theory here. Microsoft makes a lot of sense.

Old 07-14-2021, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
My completely non expert opinion; I figure it was for another suitor and this was just “give everyone a whiff” move.

Forget where I read it, so I can’t claim it as my own, but I’ll parrot the theory here. Microsoft makes a lot of sense.
1. I expect Broadcom initiated talks, rather than SAS/Goodnight putting up a For Sale sign. You can ask anyone to sell anything. Smart people listen, to a point.

2. MSFT is mentioned as a best match in the WRALTechwire story above.

Old 07-14-2021, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
1. I expect Broadcom initiated talks, rather than SAS/Goodnight putting up a For Sale sign. You can ask anyone to sell anything. Smart people listen, to a point.

2. MSFT is mentioned as a best match in the WRALTechwire story above.
No I agree. Broadcom probably initiated, but Goodnight gave everyone a whiff by not shutting them down immediately.

As others have said, the writing is on the walls (no heirs to a private company) so this will eventually happen more than likely. But now Goodnight has the 15-20B out there in others minds.

Maybe that was where I saw Microsoft mentioned; but I agree with the take. From a product portfolio POV it makes sense. And if they’re trying to cut into SFDC (with Dynamics) having a presence here would go along with that

Old 07-14-2021, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
No I agree. Broadcom probably initiated, but Goodnight gave everyone a whiff by not shutting them down immediately.

As others have said, the writing is on the walls (no heirs to a private company) so this will eventually happen more than likely. But now Goodnight has the 15-20B out there in others minds.

Maybe that was where I saw Microsoft mentioned; but I agree with the take. From a product portfolio POV it makes sense. And if they’re trying to cut into SFDC (with Dynamics) having a presence here would go along with that
Eh.... My house is not for sale, but I always give the ignorant telemarketers a chance to rock my world with "an offer I can't refuse."
I would expect Jim G to do the same.

Call him up and tell him you have an unrequited hankering to further his vision, and you have $30 billion cash burning a hole in your pocket, and I bet he talks to you, too.

Old 07-14-2021, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Eh.... My house is not for sale, but I always give the ignorant telemarketers a chance to rock my world with "an offer I can't refuse."
I would expect Jim G to do the same.

Call him up and tell him you have an unrequited hankering to further his vision, and you have $30 billion cash burning a hole in your pocket, and I bet he talks to you, too.
Fair.

Admittedly I am applying my view of work to this conversation. I work to live, not live to work. Clearly he isn't that, so you're probably right. For me, I wouldn't work a day in my life if I was independently wealthy. My work would be something like buying a farm and clearing out every animal shelter on the SE Coast.

The guy has more wealth than 5 generations of heirs could hope to spend, is pushing 80. While he has more money than Ricky Bobby, we haven't reached the state of medicine for people to live to 350 years old....yet.

No reason to work til you're in depends when you gots 13.5B in net worth.

Last edited by GVoR; 07-14-2021 at 06:08 AM..

Old 07-14-2021, 06:51 AM

18,321 posts, read 15,849,885 times
<holds up garlic & a cross to SAP>

Hisssssssss. Hears sound of the devil.

Backing away slowly from the demon software.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary