Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 07:09 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,760,058 times

Advertisements

I was involved in the sale of a large private company back in the 90s. I was a minion within the leadership core of 5 or 6 executives. We were going from private to being purchased by a public company.

The smartest of the leadership guys stated, in one meeting, that if the sale goes through, all of us will be lined up by the flagpole and strung up within 3 months of the sale.

They were all gone within a couple of weeks. None of them made it a month! Stand by for heavy seas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2021, 12:09 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,176,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I was involved in the sale of a large private company back in the 90s. I was a minion within the leadership core of 5 or 6 executives. We were going from private to being purchased by a public company.

The smartest of the leadership guys stated, in one meeting, that if the sale goes through, all of us will be lined up by the flagpole and strung up within 3 months of the sale.

They were all gone within a couple of weeks. None of them made it a month! Stand by for heavy seas!
Unfortunately, senior management can be easily replaced, but hands on knowledge and skills related to the core business operations can't.

Old 07-14-2021, 03:04 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,284,752 times
Just personally and anecdotally, I think it was never anything more than an exploratory convo/offer by Broadcom.

Whether Goodnight retired or died, there's a management structure in place - heir apparent leaving or not - to continue the company. He's a smart enough person to put systems in place.

Old 07-16-2021, 09:09 AM

703 posts, read 783,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Just personally and anecdotally, I think it was never anything more than an exploratory convo/offer by Broadcom.

Whether Goodnight retired or died, there's a management structure in place - heir apparent leaving or not - to continue the company. He's a smart enough person to put systems in place.
Broadcom and SAS were indeed in serious talks. Simultaneously, Broadcom was being investigated by the FTC. Goodnight was dragging his feet - most likely to see what effect the FTC investigation and possible sanctions would have. Broadcom leaked the story to see if he was serious in selling the company, and to force his hand a bit. Goodnight (and Saul) thought better of the deal at that point, and pulled out.

And BTW, Goodnight does have a daughter who is an executive in the company. She uses her married name, and moved back from California 5 or 6 years or so ago to be a major part of the company, when the other offspring expressed no interest.

Also, much executive management has been lost over the last 3 years. Heads of R&D, IT, Marketing, Product Management, Sales, Consulting, Hosting, and Partnering have all moved on to other companies or retirement.

Last edited by Thr3stripe; 07-16-2021 at 09:27 AM..

Old 07-16-2021, 10:37 AM

25 posts, read 36,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
Broadcom and SAS were indeed in serious talks. Simultaneously, Broadcom was being investigated by the FTC. Goodnight was dragging his feet - most likely to see what effect the FTC investigation and possible sanctions would have. Broadcom leaked the story to see if he was serious in selling the company, and to force his hand a bit. Goodnight (and Saul) thought better of the deal at that point, and pulled out.

And BTW, Goodnight does have a daughter who is an executive in the company. She uses her married name, and moved back from California 5 or 6 years or so ago to be a major part of the company, when the other offspring expressed no interest.

Also, much executive management has been lost over the last 3 years. Heads of R&D, IT, Marketing, Product Management, Sales, Consulting, Hosting, and Partnering have all moved on to other companies or retirement.
That is quite a bit of insight there.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:25 AM

4,320 posts, read 6,013,186 times
SAS has announced it's planning for an IPO by 2024. Will see if they actually follow through this time.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301344331.html

Old 07-29-2021, 09:28 AM

3,241 posts, read 3,558,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
SAS has announced it's planning for an IPO by 2024. Will see if they actually follow through this time.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301344331.html
Yeah, and who knows what the IPO market will be like in 2024. Maybe some of the cash in the market will have dried up by then.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:01 PM

5 posts, read 2,992 times
I see this is definitely difficult for those in SAS. I heard that Hock focus on profit growth a lot, and there's a hard line, if your group can't raise profit by a certain percentage, the group is gone. This puts a lot of pressure on management and I heard even if there's opening managers don't want to hire because their cost will be up. However for those survived, the return is very good, I heard their pay is on par with google/fb. Overall I think the takeover, if happens, is positive to the RTP area, you may hear some layoffs, but Hock can drive the company to next level.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:26 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,989,530 times
best case scenario this is SAS letting vested employees profit and cash out but lets face it SAS's competitive position and market share is pretty dire so it will be IPO and then some kind of M/A

Old 07-29-2021, 01:55 PM

425 posts, read 422,097 times
Most companies eventually find their fate in M/A, private equity or LBO, or they just die (sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly and spectacularly).

Generally it is legacy companies like insurers which last 100 years or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary