Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2021, 06:58 AM

4,619 posts, read 3,813,981 times

Advertisements

Well, I guess the housing market won't be any better in the fall like they say?

"The Raleigh-Durham area was ranked the No. 2 place in the country to live in an annual list from the U.S. News & World Report.

The area was highlighted for its "research/technology roots and collegiate rivalries" and given a 7.5 overall score. The region has seen a growing population base for decades in part due to an attractive job market, relative affordability and nationally-recognized universities."

https://www.wral.com/raleigh-durham-...port/19769937/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 08:06 AM

6,662 posts, read 5,618,679 times
note to everyone involved to not take the ranking positions themselves too seriously from year to year (not a surprise that we are generally a top relocation target)

Old 07-13-2021, 06:30 PM

878 posts, read 1,024,792 times
Boulder is number one, then after us at three is Huntsville, Alabama, followed by Fayetteville, Arkansas; Austin, Texas; Colorado Springs, Colorado; Naples, Florida; Portland, Maine; Sarasota, Florida; and Portland, Oregon. I dunno, half of these make sense to me, the others leave me scratching my head.

Additional comments from the article: "Many people who call the Raleigh and Durham metro areas home are young, friendly, diverse and educated. They enjoy dining out in local restaurants – many of which have earned national accolades – and gathering over craft beers in one of the region's many microbreweries. A strong sense of community is evident, as strangers are quick to provide a friendly conversation when standing in line at the supermarket. Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill also encompass beautiful green spaces, family-friendly museums and a growing art and music scene defined by monthly gallery walks, summer concerts and music festivals like Hopscotch."

For what it's worth, Raleigh-Durham also finished number 28 in Best Places to Retire in the same article with an overall score of 7.5 out of 10. So I guess I'll stick around here for that to happen as well, though I somewhat dread how crowded it will be by that time.

Old 07-13-2021, 06:34 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,309,881 times
I've always assumed someone pays somebody somehow in order to get higher up on these lists.

Not saying it's not a great place to live, but I think we all know these lists are pretty much meaningless. Fun to look at though.

Last edited by m378; 07-13-2021 at 06:47 PM..

Old 07-13-2021, 11:16 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,176,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I've always assumed someone pays somebody somehow in order to get higher up on these lists.

Not saying it's not a great place to live, but I think we all know these lists are pretty much meaningless. Fun to look at though.
I wouldn't say meaningless. Many people contribute a large percentage of the influx to these types of lists.

Old 07-14-2021, 05:36 AM

43,447 posts, read 77,411,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I wouldn't say meaningless. Many people contribute a large percentage of the influx to these types of lists.
Yup. People have to start somewhere.
When we moved here in 1997, the Places Rated Almanac ratings and discussion were an important source of research.
If we were contemplating a move to another area we had little knowledge of, we would use similar sources. But, the ratings information has become ever more shallow, it seems.

Old 07-14-2021, 08:40 AM

507 posts, read 279,499 times
I'm not surprised about this latest ranking at all. After all, Raleigh is too close to DC. Even Virginia, which is the origin of founding of this nation. For example, the palace in Williamsburg is just 3 hours away from here by driving.

Old 07-14-2021, 11:08 AM

6,299 posts, read 16,122,750 times
The N&O article quoted the real estate editor of the U.S. News & Report as saying people liked the Triangle because the density was not as bad as other places.

That is now changing -- a lot -- with continual changes in zoning laws.

Old 07-16-2021, 06:36 AM

11,242 posts, read 8,346,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
"Subjective" is a better word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary