Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 11:55 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,066,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
We went through the same thing on a smaller scale buying a computer for our son for college. His degree requires a gaming computer to do the graphic design and editing work he has to do. Rough first semester without it, so DH went and got one over winter break and the salesman told him buy it now because there's going to be a chip shortage and the price is going to double if you can even get one. DH was like "yeah right"....but got a good deal with a student discount and picked one up. Within a month you couldn't buy one.
Interesting on what they pointed you toward; a gaming PC. Most of my friends in that space (graphic design, editing, creative content creation) go with a Mac with an EGPU plus a couple external SSDs for portable, fast read storage.

13 inch MBP ($1300) or M1 Mac Mini ($600-$800, if you don't need to tote it around)
EGPU ($200-600)
2 Samsung 1TB External SSD drives ($200)

Would have been cheaper than most (but not all) Gaming PCs (which are generally ~$2,300 - 3000 unless you can build your own...I had a buddy build me a home media server and while no one would confuse it for a gaming PC; storage and memory beast just to serve up Plex to all our devices and store movies/shows, it still ran me $1600)

Granted, FinalCutPro and the Adobe suite of software cost a pretty penny beyond the hardware investment...but I wouldn't have thought of a gaming PC for digital content editing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2021, 01:12 PM

4,182 posts, read 4,900,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
We went through the same thing on a smaller scale buying a computer for our son for college. His degree requires a gaming computer to do the graphic design and editing work he has to do. Rough first semester without it, so DH went and got one over winter break and the salesman told him buy it now because there's going to be a chip shortage and the price is going to double if you can even get one. DH was like "yeah right"....but got a good deal with a student discount and picked one up. Within a month you couldn't buy one.
The electronic component shortage is affecting the entire electronics industry across all product lines and not just automotive. Lead times are currently running 52 weeks or longer which is impacting both product manufacturing and new product development.

My new laptop for work has been on back-order for over two months now and the increased demand due to people working from home, going back to school, home schooling, and remote learning is magnifying the component shortage even more.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:35 AM

746 posts, read 1,244,925 times
When the dealer you bought your new car from 2 years ago offers the same amount you paid for it now even with it having 20,000 miles on it says Inflation!

Old 08-23-2021, 11:05 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,319,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Buddy of mine bought an F150 used three years ago (vehicle was a year old). Ford dealer on Capital (not sure if Wakefield or Capital Ford by Millbrook) he took it for service talked him into selling it to them for than he payed for it three years ago.
I totally beleive this. I bought a new car 4 years ago and recently looked up local used car listings on multiple sites for the same make/model/year and these 4 y/o cars with 40K miles are going for what I paid for it new back in 2017. Crazy!

Old 08-24-2021, 06:50 AM

791 posts, read 371,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
The automotive industry cancelled a lot of chip orders in anticipation of low vehicle demand when the pandemic started, which caused chip makers to reduce their production for the kinds of chips that go into cars. Chip makers then made deals with other industries to take up production slack. When the auto industry realized their mistake it was too late as the volume was promised elsewhere.
There's a great video on Youtube that goes into the hows/whys of this - it's about 20 minutes, but explains a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1JlYZQG3lI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary