Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2008, 06:35 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,323,337 times

Advertisements

Thursday May 15, 2008
In the spirit of the old Dragnet show here goes,
I was driving the Western route of that almost, scratch
that half way, scratch that again, partially completed
and still free part of 540. If was a cloudy day with an
almost effervescent rain sprinkling from the sky downward
onto my windshield. My partner to the right of me, well
I don't have a partner to the right of me. My partner the
dial on the radio is fixed to a station that is spewing classic
rock through my vehicles 4 speakers, well actually 3 working
speakers.

The route and drive is all to common these days. Still
squeezing the ole car for every miles per gallon I can get.
As I clicked a mile beyond the Creedmore exit I see in between
the left most passing (rockets only lane) and the middle (slightly
below the sound barrier lane) an object in the roadway. It is foreign to
me at first, maybe a box maybe some form of construction onject. As
I approached this object from the inner most lane (the 65 and under lane,
speed that is) I saw that it was a remnant of a once full round and proud
mileage productive truck tire. But today it was stretched out and flat upon
the ground, setting there like a life raft that has not had its air induced to
bring it to life. For a moment I could not help to reflect back on the mileage
that tire had seen, the free and not so free roads it had traveled. The fresh air that was pumped into once strong, sturdy tubeless body! Here is where I say, 'Oh to be a tire'....NOT!

These thoughts carried me to my destination point called RTP. And
now I work the day watch in constant anticipation for the Eastern
return route on 540 homeward bound. Watching those flying machines
streak over my head into and out of RDU and onto the Forest of Wake that
awaits! ....a typical commute inbound to RTP! Happy Thursday!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 06:47 AM

5,730 posts, read 17,544,134 times
Approximately 300 words to say that you saw a tire carcass in the middle of the road? I haven't suffered that bad since Victor Hugo took an entire chapter to describe the Paris sky-line in "Hunchback".

Old 05-15-2008, 07:15 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,381,714 times
Funny stuff, but I must add that your description of the "rockets only" and "slightly below the sound barrier" lanes surprised me. In the month I've lived here, I have found that traffic flows pretty nicely and not at all at the super sonic high speed I was used to in RI/MA. I find myself actually driving the speed limit (or slightly below) and that drivers here are so much more courteous! Driving here has mellowed me.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:30 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,624,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Funny stuff, but I must add that your description of the "rockets only" and "slightly below the sound barrier" lanes surprised me. In the month I've lived here, I have found that traffic flows pretty nicely and not at all at the super sonic high speed I was used to in RI/MA. I find myself actually driving the speed limit (or slightly below) and that drivers here are so much more courteous! Driving here has mellowed me.
On I-40 it is dangerous to drive 70 or lower because of how fast people drive. There was even something in the newspaper about this when they were reporting on the speeding ticket issues. The average speed is 80, with many people driving faster than that, despite the fact that the speed limit on most of that road is 65. And on the Raleigh-Chapel Hill Expressway (between Wade and I-40), the speed limit is 55 and people drive around 75. I have attempted to do the speed limit in these areas, but it really is not safe, so I just keep up with the flow on the lower end of the spectrum.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:51 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,255,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
On I-40 it is dangerous to drive 70 or lower because of how fast people drive. There was even something in the newspaper about this when they were reporting on the speeding ticket issues. The average speed is 80, with many people driving faster than that, despite the fact that the speed limit on most of that road is 65. And on the Raleigh-Chapel Hill Expressway (between Wade and I-40), the speed limit is 55 and people drive around 75. I have attempted to do the speed limit in these areas, but it really is not safe, so I just keep up with the flow on the lower end of the spectrum.
I agree. I normally work at home, but I had to drive into Raleigh for a meeting the other morning. I was running late and worried about the traffic and making it there on time. I was pleasantly surprised when I could drive 75 and not be the fastest car on the road!

But in general, yes, I agree that people drive too fast around here.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
I hear you. I think this is one of the reason I have been apprehensive to going out and buying a Smartcar. Like the concept and would like to see the mileage be a bit better for that size of car. Just thinking of every other vehicle on the road (with exception to a motorcycle) being larger than me and traveling 80 miles per hour puts a pit in my stomach. I am waiting to see the safety records on those before I jump in or maybe better said, before I cram myself into that car.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:37 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,624,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
I hear you. I think this is one of the reason I have been apprehensive to going out and buying a Smartcar. Like the concept and would like to see the mileage be a bit better for that size of car. Just thinking of every other vehicle on the road (with exception to a motorcycle) being larger than me and traveling 80 miles per hour puts a pit in my stomach. I am waiting to see the safety records on those before I jump in or maybe better said, before I cram myself into that car.
Funny you mention the Smart car, because I actually saw one traveling eastbound on I-40 once and it was keeping up with the supersonic traffic. I just saw an article in the newspaper yesterday saying that Smart Fortwo earned the highest crash test ratings for a vehicle its size (IIHS news release). That means that if it hits a stationary object, it will fare well. However, crash tests don't really simulate crashes between cars of different sizes in motion, so a Smart up against a Suburban, both traveling at 50 mph, is probably not going to be pretty.

That said, I drive a very small car (although not as small as the Smart!) and feel extremely safe. I drive about 90% of the time in the city, taking long trips on occasion; but my commute is five miles on city streets as opposed to 25 miles on the I-40 jetway. I personally would have still chosen my same car if I had that kind of commute because I am comfortable with it, and when I do take road trips, I drive more like I am on a motorcycle and try to make sure that other drivers are aware of where I am, and keep well out of blindspots.

I think that if you are going to be using a car for a lot of high-speed commuting, there are better choices than a Smart Fortwo, such as a Honda Civic. There are many economy cars out there that get good highway gas mileage and provide a safer structure for logging a lot of high-speed mileage. They don't even have to be hybrids to get good gas mileage if you are doing primarily highway miles.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:44 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,739,239 times
Quote:
As I clicked a mile beyond the Creedmore exit
You mean CreedMOOR

Old 05-15-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You mean CreedMOOR
Nope meant Creed more as in Apostle's Creed when I take the wheel each day! J/K. Yes that was the exit I was referring to! Thanks!

Old 05-15-2008, 09:39 PM

I must add the ride home if for any reason for closure!
I also must if I may not exceed the word limit of the
morning commute in!
The ride home via the eastern 540 path was well
uneventful! Which is how I like it. Yes there were
cars far exceeding the speed limit and ones at the
speed limit. From a purely editorial note I would
like to see them add a lane or two between where
Rt 70 E traffic enters 540 up to the Leesville exit.
Mucho congestion in this area. Santa Maria it becomes
a parking lot in this area. Then onto Falls of Neuse
heading north its bumper to bumper to sideswipe?
The two lane gauntlet between Durant and Raven Ridge
Road when the race is on as after Raven Ridge its one lane
the rest of the way! Oh to the weekday race drivers that
take great pride in racing on the inner right turning lane to
look for that perfect opportunity to cut over in front of you,
if you leave the least bit of gap between you and the car
in from of you. To you I say bravo as I won't have to
wax the front right side of my car for awhile now!
...and that's all I have to say about that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary