Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 10:25 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times

Advertisements

The bottomline is that some states have a ban and some states do not. In this state it's left up to the our legislature with our Governor's approval. Other states have no role in the process. Enough said.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:16 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
...to the non-smoker?
Florida has banned smoking, so I can't even remember what it's like to go into a bowling alley, restaurant, etc. and smell cigarettes.
No offense to the smoker, I'm just curious how noticeable it is.
I'm picturing smoking everywhere, and opening doors to huge areas of smoke (of course I'm being dramatic LOL).
For me, yes. Though I grew up with smokers around me, I never failed at resisting such a habit. However, the smoke would bother me after prolonged periods, the lighting up of a cigarette initially smells pretty good to me.

With that said, I definitely noticed a difference in the dining and bar areas where I lived in California when they banned smoking in public establishments. These places felt cleaner, the brew tasted better as well as the food.

But I noticed the smoke more when I arrived home. Taking off my clothes, showering, then tossing my clothes in the hamper, I would smell that smoke in my clothes even after short exposures to smoke. Gross.

Entering an establishment here recently that allowed smoke, I definitely smelled the smoke before I even opened the doors. However, I did see it all over the place billowing up in the lights. Making the eyes red, etc. Again, I can deal with it, but now that I'm more sensitive to smoke being away from it for so long, it definitely makes me feel grundgy. Dirty.

I still remember kissing girls that smoked as well and what it tasted like after they lit up. Though it was cool and tolerable when I was young... now, I imagine it would be similar to kissing a toilet. No offense. Just different standards now.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:41 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaZ View Post
I suggest concerned citizens contact your politicians and push for a smoking ban. NY has it and so do many other states.
I agree!!!!
Changed laws usually begin with concerned citizens speaking up. Second hand smoke is a proven heath risk . I can eat at smoke free restaurants but at the same time I can work towards laws that I think would be good for our state. There are alot of people working in smoke filled restuarants , and saying they should just quit is like saying we don't need any safety
requirements or fire escapes for employees , they should just quit if they don't like their work environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary