Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 02:01 PM

11 posts, read 32,913 times

Advertisements

Francois- "funky" is definitely a good word to describe what I'm looking for. Thanks for input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 02:07 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Hmmm, please bear in mind that most people don't use "safer than LA" as a benchmark for "safe"! Just like those who are always saying "Well, the traffic isn't as bad as Boston/DC/Atlanta"--not exactly a glowing recommendation! While these things can be relative, I don't think "Not as bad as [major city known for X]" is usually what someone is asking for when they ask about safety, traffic, etc.

That said, it's true that the only areas known for being "possibly unsafe" are in Central East Durham and Southeast Raleigh; Cary and Apex are very suburban, Chapel Hill is a college town, and Carrboro is a great "funky" town with a grad student vibe; I'd say Carrboro may be your best bet for what you seek.

VERY VERY true, however I also laugh when people think that a few car break-ins in Brier Creek constitute a "crime wave" - it's definitely all a matter of perspective

Old 05-15-2008, 02:17 PM

15 posts, read 51,207 times
Your quite welcome. Good luck in your search!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:06 AM

420 posts, read 1,534,946 times
Another late vote for Carrboro.

It is very close to the University, has the fare free bus service and great shops/hang out areas. Very pedestrian friendly. Carrboro is also home to the weekly Farmer's Market and to Weaver Street Market (Co-op), both very popular places to spend time.

An older small mill house (2 br, 1 bath) could be found for 200-300 in Carrboro, depending on the condition and location. Carrboro developments (still within walking distance of the downtown area) are going to be more like 300-600. Chapel Hill is going to be more expensive, overall.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:46 PM

Thanks for weighing in piedmont. Quick question about Carrboro / Chapel Hill if anyone is still out there... Are there any community colleges close to the area?... my DH is a community college math instructor.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:08 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,693,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chkmama View Post
Thanks for weighing in piedmont. Quick question about Carrboro / Chapel Hill if anyone is still out there... Are there any community colleges close to the area?... my DH is a community college math instructor.
Yes, there are many in this area. Wake Tech, Durham Tech, Alamance Community College. They have several satellite locations.

Also, from what you are describing you are looking for, I'd really check out some of the older neighborhoods in downtown Durham. Places like Watts-Hillandale or Trinity Park.

And, I'd be careful of the areas between Chapel Hill and Carrboro on the other side of Rosemary St., as well as a few scattered pockets around. There are some bad areas in almost every town.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:06 AM

15 posts, read 51,207 times
My Sister lives in the Watts-Hillandale area of Durham and loves it. There are many very funky areas of Durham (check out 9th street,American Tobacco Campus American Tobacco Historic District Homepageand Brightleaf square) and your price range for a house will get you alot more for your money there. The only downside according to my sis is the schools. There are very good magnet school but you have to figure out which is a fit for your family and then apply and hope to get into your favorites. Just a little more stressful than going to the neighborhood schools as most of us do where I live in Chapel Hill.
But hey, all the money you save on a house, you can send the kids to private school

Old 05-17-2008, 05:51 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,000 times
I think all the info. given has been great. I would add that there has been mention of a free bus in Carrboro, but wanted to make it clear that the bus is in both CH and Carrboro and it runs throughout (for free)--through small neighborhoods, through town, etc. It's entirely possible to get around by bus. Also entirely possible to get around by bike as long as you choose a neighborhood within a few miles of town of course and not out in the country, but sounds like you'd be looking closer to town.

CH and Carrboro are so close to one another (they connect) that although I agree Carrboro would be a great place to look, I'd keep my eyes open in CH as well. It would be hard to find a nice place in your pricerange, within walking distance to town, so I would keep my eyes open in CH too.

Schools are the same--it's the Chapel Hill-Carrboro school system.

In thinking of specific neighborhoods, I was thinking about the Oak St./Lindsay St. area in Carrboro. Small houses but older neighborhood with nice trees, etc. Some definitely need fixing up, some have been fixed up, some have been torn down. Easy walking distance to town.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:39 AM

You are all a wealth of information... so appreciate your responses. Chapel Hill / Carrboro is my leaning since it seems that it would be more manageable to figure out from a distance. However, I will check out Durham as well... had an Ann Arbor friend move to Durham a few years ago, so will look her up when we visit.

Thanks again!

Old 05-17-2008, 06:52 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,641 times
Lots of good advice in this thread.

Another vote for Carrboro!

You will have trouble finding anything of decent size (by traditional standards) in your price range, but if you scale down a bit, you might be quite happy. There are lots of neat little houses in both towns that can be had in the $300-400K range. If what you want is a decent sized SFH by typical American standards, then you'll have to spend at least $500K.

That being said, the lots are rather large in much of Carrboro, and the laissez faire attitude toward home ownership (no real pesky HOAs from what I can tell), you could probably buy a house and easily add on to it later without difficulty.

If househunting proves to be challenging and you're finding your budget stretched in Carrboro/CH, and if you're willing to drive a bit, you might want to consider Hillsborough, a beautiful historic town to the north/northwest of Carrboro. It's also got kind of the funky downtown scene that Carrboro has, albeit on a smaller scale. From what I understand, house prices are a little lower there.

Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary