Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:13 AM

11 posts, read 32,907 times

Advertisements

This website has been extremely helpful. Thank you all! I am strongly considering moving to the area from Ann Arbor, MI for the weather, real estate market, mountains, beach.... However, there is so much about Ann Arbor that I love and I'm hoping to find those features in NC as well. So far I'm thinking Chapel Hill is the best fit, but would love to hear thoughts from you all:

-good/great schools
-very safe
-walkable or at least bikeable, busable community
-location with strong sense of community, downtown
-tend to like older homes
-college area would be a plus
-SFH -wide price range ($200,000-$400,000)
-family friendly area

Thank you for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 10:26 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chkmama View Post
This website has been extremely helpful. Thank you all! I am strongly considering moving to the area from Ann Arbor, MI for the weather, real estate market, mountains, beach.... However, there is so much about Ann Arbor that I love and I'm hoping to find those features in NC as well. So far I'm thinking Chapel Hill is the best fit, but would love to hear thoughts from you all:

-good/great schools
-very safe
-family friendly area

Thank you for any input!

Yep! you're right! Chapel Hill sounds like the place for you!

Old 05-15-2008, 10:42 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,021,829 times
Honestly, I'm not positive you can find all this in one place - I'll respond to each with a few nominees in my opinion and explain why others wont work:

-good/great schools

Chapel Hill is the easy choice here - particularly with the problems many have with Wake County redistricting and the general growth of the area which makes it harder to choose a neighborhood based on schools

-very safe

This is relative. EVERYWHERE save for a few pockets in Durham and Raleigh is "very safe" to me, being from LA - this may be different for you. Nowhere is immune from crime.

Tough to find - Raleigh and Durham are not so much, unless you are ITB in Raleigh...Cary definitely not, Chapel Hill perhaps...the triangle is spread out and you may find a small neighborhood thats bike-friendly with a local strip of shops, but certainly not as your primary form of transportation.

People like downtown Apex, Cary doesn't have much to speak of - Wake Forest is decent, not so much Durham or Raleigh if by downtown you mean "Main Street USA" and not buildings/warehouses/congestion downtown. Chapel Hill has Franklin Street, but it's more college-y than Americana

You can find these everywhere

The best "College areas" around the triangle are Chapel Hill and Durham - the area around NC State doesn't really excite me.

This will REALLY limit you in Chapel Hill...bigtime...unless you are looking for sub 2000 square feet - but you wont find a "dream house" for this price in CH...

-family friendly area

This is again relative, but areas like CH, SW Durham, North Raleigh, Wake Forest, Cary, Apex, Clayton all qualify by many definitions. All of these except CH and parts of Cary you can get a beautiful big home (if size is important) under 400k.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:43 AM

823 posts, read 3,922,255 times
I would add Carrboro. Certain neighborhoods of Durham might also interest you.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:00 AM

Thank you for all this specific info. This definitely gives me a good jumping off point for places to explore.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:02 PM

15 posts, read 51,202 times
I live in Chapel Hill p.o and town of Carrboro and really like it since moving here 2 years ago. Good schools we walk to, near fun college downtown but it is very pricey here. As the previous person stated, you will be limited in your choices at your price range unless you want a small house. HTH!

Amy

Old 05-15-2008, 12:40 PM

Thanks Amy,

Any idea what average SFH prices are in Chapel Hill and Carrboro are? Would love a fixer upper in a neighborhood with upward potential. I invest in real estate, so this kind of work is fun to me.

I would love more detail on Carrboro as well. Is there a downtown / town center type area?

Are year round schools being considered in these areas as well? I would prefer to avoid that I think.

Thanks!

Also, what is the "college downtown" area or other downtown-like areas like? Are there restaurants, businesses, shops? Would it be comfortable for families? Or more just condom shop / bar / coffee shop college area?

Old 05-15-2008, 01:12 PM

15 posts, read 51,202 times
Yes, Carrboro would have more house for the money and has it's own little downtown that is very cool. My husband and I prefer it to Chapel Hill for going out and hanging out. But both of the towns are so close that they are connected by a main street and flow into each other.
In Carrboro, there are many good restaurants, shops and live music and art.There is a farmer's market every Sat morning and Wed. and other stuff to do.
Check out Town of Carrboro, NC
and Welcome to Carrboro.Com - Your hometown website
Everyone brings the family to Weaver Street Market- a co-op grocery food store to
buy dinner and wine/beer and sit outside and eat while the kids run around on the lawn and play. It is definately a nice mix of families and students from UNC and other people.

There is no mention of year round schools here.Our taxes are too high for that!

I know prices are coming down for houses but not sure what size you are looking for. You could check out the local realtor websites for more info. Chapel Hill - Durham NC - Pittsboro North Carolina Real Estate Listings - Homes For Sale | The Home Team that's who we used or try Carrboro Chapel Hill Real Estate Agents - Carrboro Realty

If I had to pick a house again, I would move closer to downtown Carrboro so I could bike there more easily. Rich now we are 3 miles away.

I can give you more info if you want it!

Amy

Old 05-15-2008, 01:56 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Quote:
EVERYWHERE save for a few pockets in Durham and Raleigh is "very safe" to me, being from LA - this may be different for you. Nowhere is immune from crime.
Hmmm, please bear in mind that most people don't use "safer than LA" as a benchmark for "safe"! Just like those who are always saying "Well, the traffic isn't as bad as Boston/DC/Atlanta"--not exactly a glowing recommendation! While these things can be relative, I don't think "Not as bad as [major city known for X]" is usually what someone is asking for when they ask about safety, traffic, etc.

That said, it's true that the only areas known for being "possibly unsafe" are in Central East Durham and Southeast Raleigh; Cary and Apex are very suburban, Chapel Hill is a college town, and Carrboro is a great "funky" town with a grad student vibe; I'd say Carrboro may be your best bet for what you seek.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:58 PM

Amy- Thank you so much for all the insight! I'll have fun exploring theses links and hopefully visiting the area soon. Sounds like what I'm looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary