Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2008, 12:41 PM

167 posts, read 566,932 times

Advertisements

So. . . here's the thing. I'm having second thoughts about a Centex new build, and would love to hear someone else's opinion (instead of just mine rattling around in my head over and over).

So far I have a $2000 deposit on an end-unit townhouse in Peyton Hall off Southall Rd in Raleigh. I love the townhouse's features that we added and its price (~145k; hardwood throughout first floor; stainless appliances; etc). However, I'm starting to worry with the area being "not the best" if this actually is a wise investment. I know its not IN the worst part of town, but is too close? Originally I thought it was far enough off the beaten path and away from Capital, but now I'm having doubts. Perhaps its just cold feet as this is my first home and as the closing date approaches (august 7).

Any thoughts, comments and recommendations are welcome (and if your recommendation is to pull out does anyone have any experience with Centex and breaking your contract?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 04:05 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Do they still have the ceiling light at the top of the stairs that takes an electrician on a scaffold to change the bulb?

That and the water heater in the attic kept us renting.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:13 PM

207 posts, read 1,088,830 times
I used to work in that area and it isn't bad. Property crime can be a little bit higher in that area but that's about it (we had a lot of new home construction thefts in that area). If I remember correctly you are right off of Buffaloe Rd, near Valley Stream. If you keep going outbound on Buffaloe Rd you run into Foxhall Village Mobile Home Park which has some problems but other than that I wouldn't worry too much. Home values don't appreciate quite as well due to the many rentals in the area. Also you have to think about shopping, most of the closest shopping options are probably going to be on Capital Blvd and that is undesirable to some people.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:17 AM

167 posts, read 566,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Do they still have the ceiling light at the top of the stairs that takes an electrician on a scaffold to change the bulb?

That and the water heater in the attic kept us renting.
Yes--but have u heard of a telescoping light bulb changer?

Also, thanks ALT-X. I think I had a moment of panic. I work on Capital Blvd and teach dance some evenings off Falls of Neuse north of 540 so it is a convenient location. Shopping at Poyner Village doesn't bother me one bit. I just don't want to buy a home that will never appreciate. We're planning on living in it for 3-6 years.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:22 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Won't help if there's a glass globe over the light.

Can't believe anyone would be so stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary