U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2021, 09:31 AM

4 posts, read 4,015 times

Advertisements

I need to find a primary care doc and would prefer a female doc who is LGBTQ-friendly at a minimum and part of the LGBTQ community would be even better. I do not wish to debate with anyone my reasons for wanting these traits in a physician. I found some older threads on this forum (2010) but felt that starting a new one would be most helpful to get some recommendations. I live in Wake County and would prefer to find someone in Wake, but would be open to Durham or Chapel Hill as well. I know times are weird with the ongoing pandemic, so I guess it would be helpful to state that I need a physician who is accepting new patients. I am okay with scheduling an appointment out in the future - December or January. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2021, 10:39 AM

12,746 posts, read 24,289,998 times
I suggest you check the LGBT Center of Raleigh web site. It has a community resources page. That mentions Dr. Rupal Yu the Carrboro Community Health Center, 301 Lloyd St, Carrboro NC 27510 • 919-942-8741, among many other practitioners, including some female FNP's. If none of those resources suit you, I suggest telephoning the LGBT Center.

https://www.lgbtcenterofraleigh.com/...s.html#medical

The above mentions Dr. Melissa Reed at Reed Family Care in Raleigh, but they work on a monthly membership fee. It sounds like concierge care, but you might check their sliding scale to see what it really costs.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-25-2021 at 10:52 AM..

Old 09-27-2021, 09:10 AM

6,744 posts, read 8,224,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengrows View Post
I need to find a primary care doc and would prefer a female doc who is LGBTQ-friendly at a minimum and part of the LGBTQ community would be even better. I do not wish to debate with anyone my reasons for wanting these traits in a physician. I found some older threads on this forum (2010) but felt that starting a new one would be most helpful to get some recommendations. I live in Wake County and would prefer to find someone in Wake, but would be open to Durham or Chapel Hill as well. I know times are weird with the ongoing pandemic, so I guess it would be helpful to state that I need a physician who is accepting new patients. I am okay with scheduling an appointment out in the future - December or January. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Yes it's better to start a new thread. I can tell you, in my 10 years of being here, my being gay has not been an issue. But if you need a physician who is LGBT you will probably get a response here.

Old 09-30-2021, 09:26 PM

678 posts, read 618,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengrows View Post

Avance Care in Chapel Hill on Franklin Street is one of the few practices that is not just LGBTQ-friendly, but provides gender-affirming primary care. From the web site:

"Our team of dedicated doctors, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners can provide you with lab services onsite, as well as comprehensive and personalized primary care for the whole person in an inclusive, affirming, and non-judgmental environment. We also provide collaborative specialty care, including gender-affirming primary care and hormone therapy for transgender and gender non-conforming individuals, management of eating disorders, and weight-inclusive and Health at Every Size® approach to care. At Avance Primary Care in Chapel Hill, we are pleased to offer a welcoming and safe space to the LBGTQ+ community."

I am a senior, cis/straight woman, but I have been going to this practice since I moved here because of the HAES approach. But they are one of the few practices in the area that has the health needs of the LGBTQ+ community as one of the specialties

Old 10-03-2021, 04:00 PM

10,706 posts, read 21,669,776 times
Hello-

I used to be "the one who would answer the Gay questions" LOL--lived in Raleigh "essentially" my whole life, gay man, very rooted in the area AND in "The community". Unfortunately the number of Out PCPs is very small, but "-Friendly" ones are pretty easy to find, I'm told, especially women (I prefer a male PCP which makes it a little trickier, but I have one).

As mentioned, check the LGBT Center of Raleigh Resources page, and also the LGBTQ Center of Durham.

There is also a Facebook group called Q###r Exchange NC: Durham, Orange, and Wake counties where people ask this kind of question all the time. (Had to censor it because City-Data censored the entire word)

Good luck! There are plenty of options, I just can't say with any authority which ones are better.

Old 10-03-2021, 07:09 PM

40 posts, read 30,968 times
Try Avance Brier Creek.

Old 10-04-2021, 06:36 AM

6,744 posts, read 8,224,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willpetdogs View Post
Try Avance Brier Creek.
I googled them but I don't see anything special. No comment about LGBTQ. Can you share why you recommended them?

Old 10-10-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Hello-

I used to be "the one who would answer the Gay questions" LOL--lived in Raleigh "essentially" my whole life, gay man, very rooted in the area AND in "The community". Unfortunately the number of Out PCPs is very small, but "-Friendly" ones are pretty easy to find, I'm told, especially women (I prefer a male PCP which makes it a little trickier, but I have one).

As mentioned, check the LGBT Center of Raleigh Resources page, and also the LGBTQ Center of Durham.

There is also a Facebook group called Q###r Exchange NC: Durham, Orange, and Wake counties where people ask this kind of question all the time. (Had to censor it because City-Data censored the entire word)

Good luck! There are plenty of options, I just can't say with any authority which ones are better.
Thank you for the Facebook group suggestion. I’m going to join the group right now! Also, appreciate your reply!

Old 10-10-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I googled them but I don't see anything special. No comment about LGBTQ. Can you share why you recommended them?
I see that this PA has special interests in LGBT wellness. https://www.avancecare.com/team-memb...yn-brown-pa-c/

I think you just have to look at individual profiles on the Avance site.

Old 11-09-2021, 09:06 AM

157 posts, read 132,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I suggest you check the LGBT Center of Raleigh web site. It has a community resources page. That mentions Dr. Rupal Yu the Carrboro Community Health Center, 301 Lloyd St, Carrboro NC 27510 • 919-942-8741, among many other practitioners, including some female FNP's. If none of those resources suit you, I suggest telephoning the LGBT Center.

https://www.lgbtcenterofraleigh.com/...s.html#medical

The above mentions Dr. Melissa Reed at Reed Family Care in Raleigh, but they work on a monthly membership fee. It sounds like concierge care, but you might check their sliding scale to see what it really costs.
Dr Reed is my wife and she would be happy to answer any questions that anyone here might have about her clinic and LGBTQ care. She used to work in insurance-based care, but found that starting her own clinic based on the Direct Primary Care model was more fulfilling and 1000% less stressful. Her contact info and more information about Direct Primary Care can be found on her website at www.reedfamilymed.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary