Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 11:42 PM

8 posts, read 18,827 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are headed your way for 5 days to house-hunt and would love some suggestions on good non-chain restaurants in the Durham and Chapel Hill area. We would like to find some great Tex-Mex, Bar-B-Que, greek, sushi and New Jersey style pizza restaurants. We love everything from fried okra to humus so please post any of your favorite hang-outs. We'd love to give them a try. Hopefully, I won't be narrowing down our choices too much but we only want non-smoking establishments.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 02:51 AM

159 posts, read 607,745 times
In Durham, given your interests, I would recommend Bullock's BBQ for North Carolina authentic, and the Q Shack, for a locally owned twist on BBQ (not your average NC barbecue joint).

Throw your net wider and you would not believe the number of fabulous, locally-owned restaurants waiting to entertain your taste buds here.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:19 AM

23 posts, read 72,887 times
in Chapel Hill, try Allen n Sons barbeque - (recently on Oprah), two locations, check their hours, kind of limited. Tylers (Durham and Carrboro) is fun, pub sytle, anything on Franklin street - runs the whole range of what you are looking for!

Old 05-16-2008, 05:43 AM

426 posts, read 1,452,791 times
There are lots of great restaurants in Chapel Hill all up and down Franklin St. In Durham, check the Federal (early before it gets too smoky), Mad Hatter's, Elmo's, Guglhoph for breakfast. There's also Foster's for any meal (we like breakfast there, too).

Old 05-16-2008, 06:22 AM

13 posts, read 63,739 times
head for jujube (asian) in chapel hill. visit a southern season (one of the largest gourmet stores in the us) - for brunch and/or shopping. 411 west for italian. there are several pizza places along franklin street in chapel hill; you may like i love ny pizza. cosmic cantina is in both durham and chapel hill. in durham, we also like the blue corn cafe. magnolia grill in durham is allegedly one of the top restaurants in the country. i loved their desserts but didn't care for the steak - i think fish/seafood is their real strength. for more recs, i'd recommend asking on the chowhound boards.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:26 AM

61 posts, read 165,426 times
durham and chapel hill seem to be LOADED with fine restaurants! I haven't seemed to find such good selections in Raleigh

Old 05-16-2008, 07:28 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,949,817 times
These are our favorites, and it hardly scratches the surface. There's alot of great Tacqueria in Durham too, that I have no clue of the name of.

Durham:

Pizza - Satisfaction Pizza (brightleaf area)
Pub food - Federal, James Joyce (brightleaf area)
Hot Panninis - Toast (Downtown...fantastic hot sandwiches, best new restaurant in the area)
Mexicanish - Cosmic Cantina (fresh burrito), Blue Corn Cafe (both on/near 9th street), Tonali (off Mt Luther King in Target/Sams area)
BarBQ - Bullocks (Hillsborough Rd)
Thai - Thai Cafe (University Rd)
Indian - Sitar
More upscale - Magnolia Grill, Another Thyme, Pops, Rue Cler, Nana's, Four Square

Chapel Hill:

Pizza - Peppers
Sushi - Sushi Yoshi, Aki Hana
Mexicanish - Carrburito, Margarets Cantina
BBQ - Allen and Sons
Turkish/Mid Eastern - Tallulahs
More upscale - Elaines, Lantern

Old 05-16-2008, 07:52 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,040,425 times
Great suggestions so far! One other place you simply must try is Locopops. They started out in Durham (near Duke) and now they have additional locations around the Triangle, including Chapel Hill.
LocoPops
This is not a proper restaurant. They serve nothing but homemade paletas - gourmet frozen popsicles. It's easy to just pop in, eat a couple, and run along. It's definitely worth it!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:23 AM

167 posts, read 565,807 times
Shiki Sushi in Durham is my absolute fave.
Also I second Elmo's in Carborro for breakfast (or in Durham).
And the Lantern is phenomenal, though pricey and fancy.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:43 PM

8 posts, read 18,827 times
Thanks so much for all your suggestions! We plan on trying out as many as we can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary