Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susannerk View Post
I know this is an older thread but I can’t resist mentioning how much a friend of mine living in Manasquan, NJ raves about WaWa coffee and do they still offer full service fill ups? He also loves his pork rolls from the delis. I see much positive growth and construction in Clayton where we are looking to move. There are a few ‘southern’ diners scattered around the Raleigh/Cary area that keep my husband from Long Island happy so we think things are just getting better!
I know this was written several months ago, but I've been reading this whole thread because I used to live in NJ and have been thinking about moving to NC. Currently I'm in VA, but I can relate to much of what is said here. Anyway, they do still offer full service gas because there is still a law against customers pumping their own gas! And I wanted to say I STILL love pork roll sandwiches whenever I get up there to visit my brother. I grew up in Eatontown and Ocean Twp. I don't miss NJ, but I do miss the pizza and pork roll once in a while!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2023, 03:28 AM

743 posts, read 391,957 times
New observations...

1. It's no secret, North Carolina has amazing sunrises and sunsets. The colors are incredible. Sorry New Jersey, but there is no comparison whatsoever.

2. On a sadder note, there is much more garbage on the road than I expected, it's more like the surrounding NYC area. It's surprising and disappointing. That's one thing I never did even as a kid, I always kept my garbage in my car until I got home. Much of it is household or fast food.

I still would never go back north. But while not everything is paradise, that is one letdown I notice more often than I had hoped.

Old 01-25-2023, 09:29 AM

9,763 posts, read 15,702,018 times
Sorry, the Garden State would like to have a word.
Attached Thumbnails
Fuquay Varina, Willow Spring, Garner, Clayton-statue-liberty-sunset.jpeg   Fuquay Varina, Willow Spring, Garner, Clayton-cape-may-sunset-2-.jpeg   Fuquay Varina, Willow Spring, Garner, Clayton-lighthouse-sunset.jpeg   Fuquay Varina, Willow Spring, Garner, Clayton-washington-street-sunset.jpeg  

Old 01-25-2023, 11:48 AM

1,566 posts, read 1,109,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
New observations...

1. It's no secret, North Carolina has amazing sunrises and sunsets. The colors are incredible. Sorry New Jersey, but there is no comparison whatsoever.

2. On a sadder note, there is much more garbage on the road than I expected, it's more like the surrounding NYC area. It's surprising and disappointing. That's one thing I never did even as a kid, I always kept my garbage in my car until I got home. Much of it is household or fast food.

I still would never go back north. But while not everything is paradise, that is one letdown I notice more often than I had hoped.
Lived here for 30 years and seems to have increased considerably since the pandemic. It didn't use to be this bad. The biggest issue I have are open-bed contractor trucks dropping stuff out the back. You see it all down I40 and where much of it comes from.

Old 01-28-2023, 05:34 PM

A new observation...

Garibaldi Trattoria Italian Restaurant in Fuquay Varina is as good as any Italian Restaurant I have been to in NY/NJ. The food, the atmosphere, the servers are all amazing. But make sure you make reservations or get there early because it packs out. It's not that good a secret, but food that good will get known quickly.

This just gives our North Carolina experience another great feeling. There's so much good food down here. I have heard from many Southerners when we first moved that "the food is probably not as good as you had back home". Absolutely not the case. We've been to a number of great Italian places (we're Italian, so it's our favorite). But on top of that are great diners (like Angies in Garner), so many great steak houses, mouth watering BBQ joints, etc... there's just no lack of great places to enjoy. We also were quick to be shown that Bojangles biscuits (with or without chicken) is a Southern thing, and a damn good one.

So, for those who are new here, venture out and try the local cuisine, I promise you will not be disappointed. Maybe check reviews first, but there's going to be plenty to choose from.

Just another reason to be thankful for coming here. Thank you North Carolina, our new home.

Last edited by SickofJersey; 01-28-2023 at 06:37 PM..

Old 01-31-2023, 12:33 PM

644 posts, read 1,498,024 times
Quote:
A new observation...

Garibaldi Trattoria Italian Restaurant in Fuquay Varina is as good as any Italian Restaurant I have been to in NY/NJ. The food, the atmosphere, the servers are all amazing. But make sure you make reservations or get there early because it packs out. It's not that good a secret, but food that good will get known quickly.

This just gives our North Carolina experience another great feeling. There's so much good food down here. I have heard from many Southerners when we first moved that "the food is probably not as good as you had back home". Absolutely not the case. We've been to a number of great Italian places (we're Italian, so it's our favorite). But on top of that are great diners (like Angies in Garner), so many great steak houses, mouth watering BBQ joints, etc... there's just no lack of great places to enjoy. We also were quick to be shown that Bojangles biscuits (with or without chicken) is a Southern thing, and a damn good one.

So, for those who are new here, venture out and try the local cuisine, I promise you will not be disappointed. Maybe check reviews first, but there's going to be plenty to choose from.

Just another reason to be thankful for coming here. Thank you North Carolina, our new home.
Garibaldi? As good as?? NY/NJ......... Uh nope. They do a nice job and give a good product but well down the line of top notch dining.

Old 01-31-2023, 02:44 PM

58 posts, read 55,238 times
My observations...

I absolutely love Fuquay Varina!

I moved to an active adult community in Fuquay Varina, from Ann Arbor, Michigan last July.

People are so friendly, roads are in an excellent condition, (540 is great!); drivers are good (occasional tailgaters); lot of parks; shops close by (no malls nearby, but no regrets); many restaurants; (much) lower property tax :-)

I do see grocery prices are a bit high...may be it is a nation-wide phenomenon these days.

One fact is that there was a $250 highway use tax (HUT) when I tried to register my vehicle; glad it was just one-time :-)

All in all, I am glad that I moved to NC !!

Old 02-10-2023, 03:32 AM

A few new weather observations…

A saying I’ve heard here in the Raleigh area is “If you don’t like North Carolina weather, wait until tomorrow”. That is so true. Mornings can start cold, in the twenties. But by the afternoon it can be in the upper 60’s. Crazy temperature swings. One day it can only get to a high of 35, and the next day a high of 70. Like up in the northeast, it seems the coldest two weeks are late January and early February. But other than that, the temps are really enjoyable… at least to me.

The second I see is the “Rainy Season”, which is basically most of the winter months. It rains quite a bit from November through April. I work outside, so it gets challenging. And we’re not talking just light showers, but real rain. It can go for almost a full week, then bright and sunny for a few days, then start raining again. But the temps help make that bearable, though the clay soil makes jobsites a muddy mess for a long time.

Lastly, “Carolina Blue” is another saying I hear, and it is real. The skies are so blue, amazing blue, and it seems like you can see so much further into the sky. I’m not sure why it’s that way here, but it is beautiful. Maybe that’s why blue seems to be the theme here (with colleges). I’ll bet it’s even more amazing in the mountains, though we haven’t made a trip there yet. We'll be spending some weekend trips out west this summer. I'm sure we'll love it.

Old 02-18-2023, 05:41 PM

Another food observation...

Just got back from The Beefmastor Inn in Benson.

A very basic place, small brick building that holds approx 30 people inside. I was told get there early, as they open at 4:30pm and immediately pack out. We got there by 4:10 and was 15th in line, so we got in for the first run of people. It is common for people to wait up to 2 hours to get in and tailgating in the parking lot is normal. By the time we were done the parking lot was packed with most people tailgating and having a great time. Beefmastor Inn serves drinks for those outside. You get there (if you not in for the first serving), leave your name (they'll call you when it's your turn), then wait outside and relax.

The experience was so unique. The kitchen is right in front of you as you go in. They only serve one dish... ribeye, baked potato, large cut of bread, side dish of onions if you wish for your beef, and a salad bar. The "Beefmastor" walks to each table with a beautiful slab of ribeye and a large butcher knife, sliding the knife along the beef until you say stop. It starts with 8 ounce and goes up from there by two ounces at a time. You let him know how you want it cooked (the only way... medium rare!!!). Soon enough you have an amazing piece of ribeye cooked to perfection in front of you. Average cost per 8 ounce is $45. Once done there is no dessert, as there are many people waiting to come in. The whole time at your table is approx 45 minutes on average.

We absolutely loved it. We're always looking for different experiences and this was definitely unique, as I said prior. The workers are all extremely polite and helpful. I'm a major beef fan, so this was right up my alley. Old fashioned checkered tablecloths and wooden chairs. Dimly lit with a small candle on each table. It's just so quaint and sweet. Every patron was loving it, though I imagine most are locals.

What a great experience and I would absolutely recommend it. On U.S. 301 just a few minutes east of 95. Just get there early or expect to wait, but it's worth every minute.

Old 03-01-2023, 10:50 AM

74 posts, read 59,894 times
Quote:
New observations...

Greetings!
Been following your posts. So you've made it down and seems like you're liking it.
We are just looking at the possibilities of the RDU area now from Long Island.
I'm sick of paying the high fees for everything here.

I haven't secured a job yet but trying to navigate that and confident i will find something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary