Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2023, 08:29 AM

319 posts, read 255,735 times

Advertisements

Recent issues with spiking crime downtown aside, Raleigh remains Mayberry relative to many other U.S. cities:

https://www.insider.com/safest-citie...lethub-2023-10
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2023, 08:56 AM

851 posts, read 416,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusxiv View Post
Recent issues with spiking crime downtown aside, Raleigh remains Mayberry relative to many other U.S. cities:

https://www.insider.com/safest-citie...lethub-2023-10
Did you bother to notice the methodology? Three factors highlighted in the preface: earthquake risk, unemployment rate and fraud complaints. To say nothing of road quality, hail risk and retirement plan access. I wouldn't bring Sheriff Taylor out of retirement just yet.

Last edited by TunedIn; 10-14-2023 at 09:06 AM..

Old 10-14-2023, 09:10 AM

813 posts, read 441,413 times
That's interesting. The factors involved in creating this list is interesting, but still Raleigh wouldn't be there without many redeeming qualities.

Some quick research (for what internet research is worth), multiple studies show Raleigh crime declining faster than the national average, but at this time at the approximate 65 percentile (higher than average) in safety as compared to other cities. Not too shabby, but could still be better. I would've included sites I visited but I used many to come to a general conclusion.

It seems as if Raleigh had much more crime than the national average up to 25 years ago. I would be interested in this forum reasons why it has been able to bring that rate down faster than many other cities, and what it may need to do to continue that movement in the safer sense.

In my view and travels about the city, like many others it has it's safer and less safer sections. But I don't really feel as stressed as I do in other cities I've lived in or visited.

Old 10-14-2023, 09:21 AM

I'm a New Englander. Nashua, NH at #1? Warwick, RI at #5? In the country? Ahead of all the amazing Greater Boston suburbs? I wouldn't rank either as top 5 in their own state. The list is as completely useless as most others grasped at on the internet. Raleigh is on the way up but it's ascendancy isn't preordained. I never thought I'd live to see Boston shedding human beings.

Last edited by TunedIn; 10-14-2023 at 09:35 AM..

Old 10-14-2023, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
That's interesting. The factors involved in creating this list is interesting, but still Raleigh wouldn't be there without many redeeming qualities.

Some quick research (for what internet research is worth), multiple studies show Raleigh crime declining faster than the national average, but at this time at the approximate 65 percentile (higher than average) in safety as compared to other cities. Not too shabby, but could still be better. I would've included sites I visited but I used many to come to a general conclusion.

It seems as if Raleigh had much more crime than the national average up to 25 years ago. I would be interested in this forum reasons why it has been able to bring that rate down faster than many other cities, and what it may need to do to continue that movement in the safer sense.

In my view and travels about the city, like many others it has it's safer and less safer sections. But I don't really feel as stressed as I do in other cities I've lived in or visited.
I'm still trying to think of a redeeming quality for Warwick, RI.

Old 10-14-2023, 10:35 PM

319 posts, read 255,735 times
Quote:

Excellent post

I am interested in this as well as a fairly recent transplant.

When researching landing spots several years ago, I narrowed down the finalists to Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh. I was able to spend a decent amount of time visiting and getting out and about to get a good feel for each.

As for the feeling of safety, it was no contest; particularly compared to Atl as my rental car was broken into and the nightly news there was filled with shootings, carjackings, and other mayhem. Charlotte seemed like Atlanta Lite. But Raleigh felt much more calmer, safer, and friendlier (obviously being a smaller city is a major factor).

Not putting these down, both great metros: there is a big trade off in big city amenities and culture for lower crime and more peace. It's all about what's important to each.

Old 10-15-2023, 09:07 AM

813 posts, read 441,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusxiv View Post
Excellent post

I am interested in this as well as a fairly recent transplant.

When researching landing spots several years ago, I narrowed down the finalists to Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh. I was able to spend a decent amount of time visiting and getting out and about to get a good feel for each.

As for the feeling of safety, it was no contest; particularly compared to Atl as my rental car was broken into and the nightly news there was filled with shootings, carjackings, and other mayhem. Charlotte seemed like Atlanta Lite. But Raleigh felt much more calmer, safer, and friendlier (obviously being a smaller city is a major factor).

Not putting these down, both great metros: there is a big trade off in big city amenities and culture for lower crime and more peace. It's all about what's important to each.
Like you, when we came down we looked at three cities that we narrowed down to. Raleigh stood out but we wanted suburbs and ended up in Four Oaks.

There's much to be said about really getting to know the area you're coming to. For us, we rented for about a year to find the exact town/neighborhood that fit our life.

Darius, we both approached our big move with research and real time on site learning. I truly believe that's why you and I are happy where we are, and why many might be feeling they made a mistake.

Old 10-16-2023, 12:57 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Raleigh is kind of in a similar situation as Virginia Beach. More a suburban setting (though Raleigh’s economy is far more sophisticated than Virginia Beach’s) with a more city-like city next door being a main anchor as far as jobs (Raleigh helped by Durham, Virginia Beach helped by Norfolk/Portsmouth.) This dynamic definitely serves Raleigh well as far as crime rate.

I also think the news media makes a lot of cities seem more dangerous to than they actually are. Particularly if you turn on Wavy TV in Virginia Beach, you’d think it was Baghdad Iraq during the Iraq War, though it is one of the safer large (400k-500k) cities in the US. IMO even Charlotte gets this “questionable” treatment. Living here for two years now, I feel far safer in Charlotte than I did in Washington DC.

Old 10-16-2023, 07:06 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Discussion here is mainly around crime, but the actual WalletHub ranking uses crime stats for less than 50% of the ranking methodology. 30% of the ranking was Natural Disaster risk for example, which ruled out any city in California, most of the Florida coast, or Tornado Alley ranking anywhere in the top 20. So cities like Irvine, CA ; Santa Clarita, CA; Hialeah, FL, et... had strong rankings for "Home & Community Safety" (#2, #3, and #14 respectfully), but terrible scores for Natural Disaster risk due to earthquake, fire, or hurricane risk (#150, #168, and #128).

Raleigh's score was that goldilocks in this methodology of not being the best in any category, but also not the worst.
#42 for Home & Community Safety Score
#55 for Natural Disaster Risk
#34 for Financial Safety
Overall rank = #18
While Raleigh wasn't Top 20 in any individual category, it ranked #18 by not having a very bad ranking in any one category (such as the cities more prone to natural disasters) or the cities that had a lower 'Financial Safety' rank, which hit the scores of some of the smaller metros that had high physical safety rankings, but not great unemployment rates, job growth, median credit scores, et. (example Pembroke Pines, FL ; #15 for Home & Community Safety, but #168 for Financial Safety.)

Like all rankings, methodology changes things dramatically. I think WalletHub tried to define a broad ranking of safety beyond just crime / homicides / theft, but I think most people associate "safety" with crime as opposed to debt to income ratios or earthquake chances. Definitely an interesting way to frame it.

Last edited by CLT4; 10-16-2023 at 08:21 AM..

Old 10-17-2023, 04:06 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:

The answer is a simple dilution of the cocktail. More and more and more and more population growth of the type that's on the right side of the statistics.

Driving around within Raleigh city limits there is far more new, suburban development than most cities its size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary