Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 02:07 PM

823 posts, read 3,923,062 times

Advertisements

There are a couple of Montessori schools in Holly Springs. One is associated with the NC Montessori teacher school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,843 times
Hi I am looking for a montessori school in Chapel Hill/Durham for my son's 3-year-old enrollment next year.

We just paid a visit. It looks good for the facilities. Does anyone have experience with Montessori Community School for the primary program (3-6 year class)? Do you have recommendations for good teachers?

Thanks!

Alice

Old 11-12-2007, 06:44 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_61 View Post
"I feel your pain but "financially selective" is part of the point in sending a kid to private school."

I disagree. I choose a private school for my child for its superior teaching and philosophy (Montessori, primarily), not for its financial exclusivity. I wish all kids could go to a school of that caliber.
Having gone to a private high school that had great test scores and sent 90% of its graduating class to college, I'd say that being "financially selective" was the absolute key to its success. Everybody I went to school with was expected to go to college, no one was really striving for it. Small classes, underpaid teachers, education was mediocre at best. I'd have gotten a much better education at a public school.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:31 AM

168 posts, read 1,212,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalice View Post
Hi I am looking for a montessori school in Chapel Hill/Durham for my son's 3-year-old enrollment next year.

We just paid a visit. It looks good for the facilities. Does anyone have experience with Montessori Community School for the primary program (3-6 year class)? Do you have recommendations for good teachers?

Thanks!

Alice
There is another Montessori in Chapel Hill (its location will be moving to SW Durham next year). It's a full immersion preschool, and will be going up to 3rd grade starting next year. You choose the immersion program--French or Spanish. It is FULL immersion--no English at all.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:13 AM

353 posts, read 1,366,960 times
I have to ask this question, why the focus on private schools in this area? Where I currently live, the public schools are highly rated, and for that reason, it is a rare few that choose private schools. Since Chapel Hill and Wake County are supposed to have such good public schools, why do I see so much discussion about what private school kids should go to in the area? I ask this because we are considering moving to Chapel Hill and one of the main reasons are the good reputation of the public schools.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:36 PM

45 posts, read 159,669 times
Back to a previous post, there are 2 Montessori schools in Cary: Heartwood Montessori and Peace Montessori. Not sure what the highest grade level taught in each is though.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:00 PM

847 posts, read 3,523,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryfield View Post
There is another Montessori in Chapel Hill (its location will be moving to SW Durham next year). It's a full immersion preschool, and will be going up to 3rd grade starting next year. You choose the immersion program--French or Spanish. It is FULL immersion--no English at all.
Do you know what this one is called? Is there a website?

Old 11-13-2007, 06:01 AM

It is called The Language Center Montessori School.

It is The Language Center - Chapel Hill, North Carolina (broken link)

Old 11-13-2007, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaZ View Post
I have to ask this question, why the focus on private schools in this area? Where I currently live, the public schools are highly rated, and for that reason, it is a rare few that choose private schools. Since Chapel Hill and Wake County are supposed to have such good public schools, why do I see so much discussion about what private school kids should go to in the area? I ask this because we are considering moving to Chapel Hill and one of the main reasons are the good reputation of the public schools.
People are looking for different things, that's all there is to it. Some people are really religious and want religion incorporated into their child's education. Some people think there is too much emphasis on the state testing. Some people think kids should play outside more, or should be in an immersion situation, or don't like the redistricting (that mainly applies to Wake). Some want small class sizes...

Yes, Chapel Hill and Wake have excellent systems and my kids go to public. I do always keep in the back of my mind that we will send them to private if anything comes up which I don't like (like if I feel there is too much emphasis on testing--that's the one which concerns me). There are many reasons why people would choose to send their kids private though.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:19 PM
rin

6 posts, read 24,764 times
Wake county does have one public Montessori elementary school. While it is a public school, Poe is a nice school- and it's free and transportation is provided.
on the other hand it is in Raleigh and a magnet school so it could be hard to get in and the bus ride is especially long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary