Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 11:36 AM

5 posts, read 14,502 times

Advertisements

i am looking into wake county (wake forest, apex, holly springs, cary, garner?), also considering durham, clayton, and chapel hill....but i'm not sure what might be best for:

-families...i am a single mom of a 9 year old daughter and 1 year old son
-safety
-good schools
-job opportunities (i am an office mgr in a customer service company, also have medical billing certificate and teacher's asst certificate and school sec lic here in nyc but no exp in these fields as of yet)
-suburban feel but not too desolate (i am looking for a change from hectic nyc life but, not so much that it would be a complete shock either)

if anyone out there has any helpful advice or info i really appreciate it...i'm doing all my research over the next year and my goal is to get the hell out of nyc by august 2009, thank you everyone for your help

Old 05-18-2008, 12:13 PM

3,954 posts, read 5,107,591 times
Default Momentary lapse in reason

You’re going to move your children away from their father? Since your youngest is only a year old are you truly prepared to move away from your support system? My suggestion is that you give this idea a lot of thought as it sounds a little shaky to me.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:53 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,074,629 times
Jaisy, it's hard for us to make specific suggestions without knowing where you will be working and how much you can afford to spend. All of the towns you listed are very good options. We have members of the forum representing all of those towns and the vast majority of them are very happy.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:53 PM

grizzmeister, i must say that wasn't very nice...you should probably ask a little more gently about my situation before sounding like it's such a horrible thing to move away with my children-- "You're going to move your children away from their father?..."--it just so happens that their father is not a support system at all--i'm sorry if that comes as a surprise to you, but in my case their father is one of the biggest reasons it is time for me to move on and make a better life for myself and my children and i happen to have family in nc (alleghany cty and more due to move over the summer to cary plus my mom and possibly my sister will be moving to nc along with me) might i also mention that being a single mom in nyc is pretty tough, so i think any move i make at this point in our lives would be a step in the right direction

thanks, but no thanks for your post

Old 05-18-2008, 01:54 PM

thank you mrssteel for your post, i know no one can really make specific suggestions but i've seen a lot of general info out there so i just thought i'd post and see what people might have to offer from their experience of living in nc

thank you!

Old 05-18-2008, 02:35 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,516,408 times
You'd need to give us an idea of what you like and can afford.

-how much can you spend?
-do you like being on land, or do you want a small yard?
-do you like new construction or older homes/neighborhoods?
-do you want to be IN a city/town or outside of one, in a more rural area?

The only thing I will say is that Chapel Hill schools are excellent. Wake also has really good schools, so if schools are most important to you, those would probably be your starting points (although if you look around you'll find pockets of great schools in Durham and other areas as well)

Old 05-18-2008, 03:40 PM

3,954 posts, read 5,107,591 times
Default No matter where you go there you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisy View Post
grizzmeister, i must say that wasn't very nice...you should probably ask a little more gently about my situation before sounding like it's such a horrible thing to move away with my children-- "You're going to move your children away from their father?..."--it just so happens that their father is not a support system at all--i'm sorry if that comes as a surprise to you, but in my case their father is one of the biggest reasons it is time for me to move on and make a better life for myself and my children and i happen to have family in nc (alleghany cty and more due to move over the summer to cary plus my mom and possibly my sister will be moving to nc along with me) might i also mention that being a single mom in nyc is pretty tough, so i think any move i make at this point in our lives would be a step in the right direction

thanks, but no thanks for your post
I’m sorry if my directness has offended you but these are questions that you’ll face if you move to Wake Forest. Although most people around here are Christians and subscribe to the saying, “Judge not lest yourself be judged” you’ll still face a pretty tough situation being a single parent here.

I suspect that you misunderstood the context of my statements, though. I’ve seen too many people move to Raleigh thinking that they could escape their problems only to find that things can be MUCH worse without friends and family for support. If you have that part of your life under control I’m happy for you and I wish you only the best in your quest.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:55 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,718,218 times
Hi jaisy,

I don't know about Wake Forest, but I can assure you that if you move to the Holly Springs/Apex area you won't have any issues being a single parent. Even if most people around here are Christians, like Grizzmeister claims, I've never once in the 2 years that we've lived here encountered a single parent having issues just for being single. I hope everything works out for you. If you have any specific questions regarding this area, don't hesitate to ask.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:13 PM

9 posts, read 63,643 times
Default Durham area

jaisy,

I too am looking to move into the Durham area from DC. Let me know if you find a nice area for young families and good schools. I am a Christian and I do not mind being around single parents, different cultures and races etc.. In fact I welcome diversity and change.

PS. Tell the nosey folks to butt out of your personal life!! I'm sure you'll be fine.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:36 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,074,629 times
Jaisy, I don't know much about Wake Forest. Maybe Grizzmeister is right and the people there are more conservative (it is the home of Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary so perhaps that has something to do with his/her impression?). However, I refuse to think of the town so harshly. I'm sure there are plenty of people there who would accept you without any problems whatsoever. I feel that I can safely say that about any town in the Triangle. Afterall, this is 2008 ... not 1908.

Leaving a home and possibly family can be hard. I think it can be especially hard for people who move here from big cities like NYC because it takes a while to get used to living in a much smaller city. The good news is that you are not alone! There are a lot of us on this forum who have moved here from elsewhere and are happy to be in NC. If you decide to move down, there are a number of mommy groups in the area which I'm sure will welcome you with open arms. It's certainly different from NYC, but sometimes a drastic change can do a person a world of good (and I speak from experience on that point!).

The biggest concern is employment. If there's any way you can get a job before you move here, please do. At the very least, have enough money saved up to get you through for a number of months and a backup plan ready in case things don't turn out. There are jobs to be found here, yes, but they aren't as plentiful as many have been lead to believe. Prepare yourself well. And good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary