Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 06:10 PM

740 posts, read 472,458 times

Advertisements

I am going to replace the roof on my 1200 sq ft home. There is also an attached flat roof about 300 sq ft that is over a portion of the deck.

2 companies are artisan and probuiltco
artisan: roof 6200 for roof over house and EPDM rubber for flat roof would be 2450 so total would be around 8700. This includes only 2 OSB boards thrown in and have to pay extra for more, for both roof over house and flat roof. I am virtually certain will need more... I know about 4 people who have used this company and were very happy. They seem like a very good company.

probuiltco: roof 6k for roof over house, 6 boards thrown in. I told the guy that I didn't want the rubber for the flat roof-- too expensive --- especially since the asphalt shingles currently on there had had held up wonderfully for over 20 years. Guy says if I want, he can throw in 4 boards, install ice and water shield, install starter shingles as well, and use 3 tab shingles for 1100. Total 7100.
Although reviews all good online, I don't anyone who has used this company.

Essentially artisan 8700 with potential to go into 9000s due to extra boards or
probuiltco with potential to go maybe 7500 or so b/c they are throwing in more boards.

And I will add that I think artisan's EPDM price for a roof over a portion of the deck is exorbitant. I'd suck it up if it were over the house, but the deck... no, not when shingles worked fine there for over 20 years.

Any roofing experts in this forum have an opinion? I also wonder why artisan asks for no deposit and probuilt is asking for 3k and rest at completion.

Can't decide.....1500 difference with likelihood that artisan's final price will go up even more b/c they are only throwing in 2 boards before having to pay for more, and probuiltco is throwing in 10 boards at onset.

edit: this is all out of pocket, no insurance being used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2021, 07:06 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
Artisan is great. They'll drop off the materials that morning (won't be sitting in your driveway for days), and be done in a day. Your size roof, probably less than a day. Owner used to show up to every job in the morning and afternoon, not sure if he still does.

Old 12-01-2021, 08:04 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,588,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herringbone View Post
... and EPDM rubber for flat roof ...
Is this job going to be permitted and inspected? {It should be.} Or, will it be "in the shade?" If permitted, get informed about current-day code for flat (or nearly flat) roofs. You may find that EPDM is required.
Quote:
... the asphalt shingles currently on there had had held up wonderfully for over 20 years.
Building codes have changed over the years.

Old 12-01-2021, 08:10 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
Is this job going to be permitted and inspected? {It should be.} Or, will it be "in the shade?" If permitted, get informed about current-day code for flat (or nearly flat) roofs. You may find that EPDM is required.
Building codes have changed over the years.

Permits aren't usually required for roof replacements assuming it's similar grade/material and under a certain cost (depends on the town/county).

They should be. This would allow insurance companies to prove the age of a roof and deny hail/wind claims on end of lifed roofs.

Old 12-01-2021, 08:24 PM

740 posts, read 472,458 times
yep, no permit/inspection required.

Old 12-01-2021, 09:02 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
We used Artisan too, very happy. We did need a few boards replaced and like you knew that would happen as I knew we had leaks we hadn't seen yet. Old roof was WAY past it's shelf life.

Artisan uses its own crews. You will be amazed at how they arrive at your house that morning and every single person knows their job and gets right to it. In other words, they aren't trolling HD in the morning looking for workers. I heard them pull up and by the time I got downstairs they had unloaded half the shingles and were setting up the ladders. A supervisor will show up late in the day and make sure the job is wrapping up the way it's supposed to. They cleaned the gutters at the end of the day and were on their way.

I've never heard of the other company.

Old 12-01-2021, 11:11 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,838,107 times
Asphalt shingles on a flat roof is not typically allowed. They are designed to shed water on a sloped surface. They need a minimum 2/12 pitch, preferably 4/12. Without that pitch, water can pool under the shingles as fyi.

Old 12-02-2021, 05:24 AM

492 posts, read 1,151,891 times
We used Artisan, great work done and excellent service. 2 neighbors used other companies, both have had leak issues requiring repeat visits. Glad we chose Artisan, we wanted quality work and materials not just cheapest price. We paid out of pocket NO insurance used, roof was 24 yr old.

ETA we also had Artisan replace our shoddy gutter system, another job we are very satisfied with.

Old 12-02-2021, 05:38 AM

426 posts, read 223,157 times
https://roofhippie.com/can-a-roof-be...-for-shingles/

Old 12-02-2021, 07:58 PM

600 posts, read 3,448,300 times
I used Roofwerx in Raleigh. They were everything I wanted them to be. Price was nice too. Give them a call before you drop the hammer.

Regards,
Streamer1212
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: