Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 08:00 AM

253 posts, read 235,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Our family stays away from malls. No longer is crime relegeted to the "bad areas". I don't think a lot of people have processed that reality yet. The mall glory days are long gone. As one who hung out in my younger years in the 1980's in the fun and happy malls of the day, the contrast is stark. But it's real.
I mean, yea, the mall glory days are long gone, but that's got nothing to do with crime. I'm an elder millennial and the only time I go to the mall is to return something to the brick & mortar store of something I bought online. I actually tried finding some Christmas presents in a physical store this year and nobody had what I was looking for stocked in stores, so I ended up ordering it online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 08:14 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
Malls/shopping centers will probably always be an attraction for these criminals. There's lots of money, goods, cars and victims in an area at one time. So while there may have not been "wild wild west" gun fights, there definitely has been other crimes at (or around) these places. In fact there have been several carjackings by TTC and Southpoint.

I've hated malls for decades. Not because of this though. I hated them because I hate crowds of people (especially rude people). But if I go to one now, regardless of which one, I will definitely be more aware of my surroundings. I think these criminals think that with a crowd of people shopping most will be too oblivious to see what is going on. But then again I am not a criminal so I have no clue why they choose their locations and victims.

And I agree with what the other poster said in regards to these criminals knowing they won't get much time. It's very easy to see what happens to these criminals. I am shocked that most get little or no time. Rap sheets are so long for just these twenty somethings. There needs to be more intervention at a very young age. I like what the police have done in the Watts area of LA with the Watts Rams team. We need more of this all over the US.

Old 12-10-2021, 09:22 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
One of the reasons why malls are high value targets is it's easy to get away as most are on main roads and near highways.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:17 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
So there was a fight, a man, or two men were attacked, someone showed a gun, and another gun was stolen. But no one was shot. I say, let police do their job and let the mall add more security. But they can't be everywhere at once.

Old 12-10-2021, 12:29 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
So there was a fight, a man, or two men were attacked, someone showed a gun, and another gun was stolen. But no one was shot. I say, let police do their job and let the mall add more security. But they can't be everywhere at once.

I can't imagine the thread if you were there at the time.

Old 12-19-2021, 03:11 PM

129 posts, read 115,737 times
Another incident today, thankfully no one hurt.

Old 12-19-2021, 03:30 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I had to go there last week, we got in and out so fast it would make your head spin. DD did NOT want to stay and eat her Popeye's at the food court either

Security at the mall is provided by off duty Durham POs. I know someone who has a family member who is Durham PD and that's where they all moonlight. I am not sure what else they can do but the mall owners need to have a come to Jesus with the city.

Old 12-19-2021, 03:47 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by art322 View Post
Yep - shooting in the parking lot. They just keep coming. But it's totally safe there, these things happen everywhere every week!

Old 12-19-2021, 04:31 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by art322 View Post
Deets – https://www.wral.com/durham-police-i...oint/20043077/

Old 12-19-2021, 04:39 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Does Durham get the wrong reputation? How often have shootings happened at Raleigh or Cary shopping malls? (Maybe never?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary