Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 11:58 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,281,123 times

Advertisements

I have a few old and broken computers collecting dust in my garage. They are very old so nothing worth donating. There may be some old banking and family photos on them. Nothing I need to recover, but would also prefer not having my banking info out there to be found and recovered by somebody else. I don't really have the tools to drill into hard drives to destroy them and was wondering what the best and safest option is in Raleigh to dispose of this equipment and make sure my information is destroyed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 12:09 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,272 times
You could DOD wipe them with software. That would render them useless and what a recycling facility would do. It takes a lot of time ,but it's set and forget till it's done.

Old 12-13-2021, 12:18 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,339,989 times
I have a friend in IT who told me to hit mine with a hammer a few times until it sounds like a baby rattle inside, then it would be impossible to get anything off it.

Old 12-13-2021, 12:36 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,269,179 times
The Kramden Institute is a good cause in Durham that will take them and wipe them. If you trust them to do it, it's a good option.

Old 12-13-2021, 01:00 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,499,246 times
It just takes a screwdriver to open up the computer and pull the hard drive. Then a hammer to shatter the "disk" portion.

Old 12-13-2021, 01:08 PM

13,066 posts, read 7,502,913 times
I scavenge the rare earth magnets from the linear motor. They are extremely strong.

Old 12-13-2021, 01:09 PM

5,882 posts, read 6,948,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
The Kramden Institute is a good cause in Durham that will take them and wipe them. If you trust them to do it, it's a good option.
I have volunteered and donated to Kramden. Good folks there.

If you decide to take a hammer/drill to the disks, they and the rest of the computer can be recycled at select Wake County sites (weekends only).
https://www.wakegov.com/departments-...aste-recycling

Old 12-13-2021, 01:14 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,957,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I have a few old and broken computers collecting dust in my garage. They are very old so nothing worth donating. There may be some old banking and family photos on them. Nothing I need to recover, but would also prefer not having my banking info out there to be found and recovered by somebody else. I don't really have the tools to drill into hard drives to destroy them and was wondering what the best and safest option is in Raleigh to dispose of this equipment and make sure my information is destroyed?
You can just remove them from the computer and drive a large nail through the case. Once the glass disks inside the case are broken, they can't be recovered.

Old 12-13-2021, 01:37 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,540,725 times
Just make sure you have no Crypto account information on them (from when coins were worth much less than they are today), lots of stories of people who would have several $100k-$MM in crypto today based on early mining certain coins which were not mainstream 5-10 years ago. Usually the accounts are on a password protected/encrypted drive where person forgot the password.

Old 12-13-2021, 02:21 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,457 times
To be clear, damaged hard drives are not unreadable, even if you smash it with a hammer or drive a nail through it. However, the amount of effort required to salvage something from a physically damaged hard drive is exceptional and so makes it highly unlikely. I would suggest the hammer approach myself, and also disposing of the hard drive separately from the CPU itself. The odds that someone will pick the hard drive out of the pile and know what to do with it is so low that it doesn't pay to worry about it. And unless you're a high value target, even if they did read some of it, what exactly are they going to find?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary