Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:00 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,400,410 times

Advertisements

York, Simpson, Underwood is a big one in Raleigh these days.

An up-and-coming agency is Glenwood Agency...I think they specialize in urban/downtown residential.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:49 PM

31 posts, read 116,224 times
A slight diversion - I've been in sales for about 8 years (not real estate). I've been pondering getting into real estate, but I see myself more as a "right-hand" assistant to a major realtor. Anybody have any idea how much a position like that might pay, and how difficult it would be to find a job like that?

Old 01-21-2007, 09:17 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,777,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHomeFinder View Post
The broker pre-licensing class is a 75 hour mandatory class with a test at the end, and then you must pass the state exam to get your provisional license. You must then take 90 hours over the next 3 years to get your full broker's license. Commissions and fees vary greatly depending upon who you're working for. If you're at one of the bigger companies, you'll probably be on straight commission. Go talk to some Brokers in Charge at various agencies to see who you're comfortable working with. They usually hold "career seminars" regularly to answer your questions.
NCHomeFinder, I'd love you to PM me with the information you can provide about schooling. When I was in California (just recently moved), I was taking courses to qualify me, not as an agent but, as a Broker. Since I completed the coursework (and continue to conduct business in CA), I still plan to take the test there. Since NC does not have reciprocity with CA (no one does), in general, does some of that coursework transfer over and count toward that 75 hours? In other words, is it really necessary for me to retake all the general real estate law, practice, appraisal, etc, etc classes all over again, just to obtain my license here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
1. Biggest is not always the best. Some smaller companies work wonders especially if you can work side by side with your BIC (Broker in Charge). They can be a great help. If they have to watch over 50 agents you just become another number.
I agree. It really depends on the structure of the company and it capacity to incentivize existing professionals within the organization to help train and motivate new recruits as well as it's ability to promote continued education and offer marketing support.

Quote:
2. Either work Real Estate full time or not at all in my opinion. How can you feel comfortable giving your client on 50% of what they deserve and you are obligated to?
Yes and no. I know of agents in CA who work part-time in the industry, but give 100% to the clients they are representing. They just don't work on a mass scale where they are juggling too many clients, and thus diluting their attention to that client. They don't make as much money, either, but that is not necessarily life's greatest motivation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nydeb View Post
A slight diversion - I've been in sales for about 8 years (not real estate). I've been pondering getting into real estate, but I see myself more as a "right-hand" assistant to a major Realtor. Anybody have any idea how much a position like that might pay, and how difficult it would be to find a job like that?
Great question! I'm interested in this aspect as well since my experience in other forms of sales, marketing and web development would certainly be an asset to a successful broker. However, I'm wondering, as an addendum to your question NYDeb, if a license is required to assist in this capacity?

Last edited by CaliBoy; 01-21-2007 at 09:26 PM..

Old 01-22-2007, 03:37 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,327,784 times
Quote:
I respectfully disagree with these.

1. Biggest is not always the best. Some smaller companies work wonders especially if you can work side by side with your BIC (Broker in Charge). They can be a great help. If they have to watch over 50 agents you just become another number.

2. Either work Real Estate full time or not at all in my opinion. How can you feel comfortable giving your client on 50% of what they deserve and you are obligated to?

Just my opinion
Hey, CA: you might want to mention the changes coming down the pike regarding Real Estate Brokers/Agents and education requirements.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Hey, CA: you might want to mention the changes coming down the pike regarding Real Estate Brokers/Agents and education requirements.
Terrific, Mary, leave us readers in suspense of information you know is coming down the pike! Tease!!!

Old 01-22-2007, 09:19 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,205,251 times
Moderator cut: removed Perry and Walston Moderator cut: removed Fonville Morrisey Moderator cut: removed I'd recommend working with a large company to get the best training. Moderator cut: removed

Last edited by autumngal; 01-12-2008 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 01-23-2007, 11:24 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,327,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
Terrific, Mary, leave us readers in suspense of information you know is coming down the pike! Tease!!!
I really didn't mean to. I mis-spoke: the changes have to do with real estate appraisers - here is the link http://www.ncappraisalboard.org/NEWS.htm

Old 01-23-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
I really didn't mean to. I mis-spoke: the changes have to do with real estate appraisers - here is the link http://www.ncappraisalboard.org/NEWS.htm
No problem! Seems like some good changes, however. Such training should be required to help weed out those who aren't quite as serious about the profession, and keep any potential fraud from ensuing. Unless the state pulls some crud that in order for courses to qualify, that the course must be taken within a short time frame prior to licensing, the hours requirement don't seem all that bad. Providing that the additional requirements make for a better appraiser.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:58 PM

37 posts, read 125,032 times
I'd like to get some more input from the real estate brokers on this subject if at all possible.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:00 PM

43,209 posts, read 76,897,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12VMan View Post
I'd like to get some more input from the real estate brokers on this subject if at all possible.
12V,
What further input are you looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary