Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:14 PM

132 posts, read 445,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Yeah....I was bummed I couldn't snap a shot of it. It wasn't open yet. Apparently it doesn't open until 1pm on Sundays and I was there at 11am.

I'll make sure I get a picture of it next time I am there!
Tell us about it. We all went gung ho - hoping that jr will have a rocking train ride. On Sundays pullen park doesn't open till 1PM. At least we got to see a family of ducks(ducklings included) waddling in the lake which amused our little fellow quite a bit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 03:45 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,822,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!!!!
I couldn't have said it better. The thing that frustrates me sometimes is that people make sweeping statements and judgments about Raleigh by what immediately surrounds them and what they see along the side of the Interstate as they rush to the mall or to work. I suspect that these folks are some of the same folks who always talk about the city not having anything for singles and childless couples.

I wouldn't be shocked to find out that the majority of Raleigh residents (no less Wake County) have never been to this park. What a shame since it's really the only park of its kind in the County. Where else can you find one of the nation's oldest carousels, paddle boats on a lake, a children's train ride, an olympic sized indoor pool, tennis courts, covered picnic pavillions and a playground in one place? It's totally a Raleigh treasure and everyone should make it a priority to see it.

If you are new to Raleigh or thinking about Raleigh as your future home, I highly recommend that you go and explore what the city has to offer inside its Beltline. Within it you will find a charming, intelligent, progressive city with fantastic resources like Pullen Park. You will find historic neighborhoods, independent stores, restaurants, bars and clubs. You will find museums, an IMAX theater, the Performing Arts Center and the State Capital. You will find quirky businesses like Logan's Nursery built in the old train station. You will find a restaurant and gift shop housed in an old Piggly Wiggly grocery. You will find the Rialto theater playing art house movies and serving wine with the show. You will find tens of thousands of college and university students. You will find the creative soul of the city and the promise of greater things to come.
Great post! I'd add to your rep, but I must have already and it won't let me. I really liked when they had the pool outside and you could get the food and snowcones then run through the gates to swim! I'm sure the indoor pool is nice, but I haven't been.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:36 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,279,805 times
Thumbs up More Pictures ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You didn't get the Carousel!
I stopped by the park today after work and got a few shots of the Carousel in addition to a few other areas of the park. Here you go!

The Pullen Park Carousel

The Ticket Booth

The Snack Shack!

Volunteers Planting Flowers

The Aquatic Center from a Distance

Inside the Aquatic Center

Some of The Picnic Area

Some of the Playground Area

The Kiddie Boats

Here Comes the Train!

Brief video I shot of the Carousel:

Pullen Park Carousel Video on Youtube

For the history of the Pullen Park Carousel check out:
Pullen Park Carousel-- Raleigh: A Capital City: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary

Old 05-25-2008, 06:00 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,279,805 times
Forgot to add this picture with a general overview of the kiddie park area!

Old 05-25-2008, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 13,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
I think people who are natives of NC have definitely been to Pullen Park; I certainly went there often as a child.
I also went quite frequently as a child. I attended White Memorial Presbyterian Church for pre-school and kindergarten, and on many days when my granddad picked my brother and me up he'd take us to Pullen Park. I have very fond memories of the playground, the paddle boats, the kiddie boats, and of course the merry-go-round and train. It truly is a great little park!

Old 05-25-2008, 07:22 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,794 times
I've posted before, my family went to Pullen Park on one of our scouting trips to Raleigh. We had an absolute blast! I have a series of pics of that day with my family looking so happy. It was a spotless, fun, wonderful park right in the city! If I was in Raleigh right now (we thought we'd of been by now) I'd be planning to take a picnic there tomorrow.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:04 AM

2 posts, read 13,917 times
Raleigh is great place to live. I have lived for 52 years! Best place to be in North Carolina!

Old 02-19-2009, 07:50 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,925,479 times
Thanks for the great photos of old Pullen Park. I learned to swim there in the 1950's. I rode the merry-go-round when the animals hardly had any paint. I always went for the pig missing a foot. The rusty old fire truck and the airplane are long gone from the playground. So many Raleigh teens learned to shag by the jukebox on the bandstand by the ticket booth. Screaming in the train tunnel was great. I can almost smell the popcorn and the cotton candy sold at the concession stand now. I loved Pullen. My daughter did. Her kids will
http://www.archives.ncdcr.gov/exhibi...mmingpool2.jpg

Last edited by Poggly Woggly; 02-19-2009 at 08:46 PM..

Old 02-20-2009, 09:12 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,048,635 times
Default repy

the pullen carousel was originally located at Bloomsbury Amusement park where Carolina Country Club is now located. Bloombury was located at the end of the trolley line and was owned and operated by CP&L from about 1910-1917. It had a wooden roller coaster as well. Just a little Raleigh history.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:24 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,925,479 times
I didn't know those facts about the carousel...thanks. Although I'm familiar with the Bloomsbury neighborhood, I wasn't aware of the park. I remember my dad mentioning the trolley going out Glenwood. He said the small stone shelter at Glenwood and Harvey(recently re-roofed) was a getting on or off spot at or near the end of the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary