Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 10:36 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,189,108 times

Advertisements

I made my first trip to Pullen Park this afternoon. What a great park. There were lots of people there with their kids. I only saw a portion of the park and I was there too early on a Sunday so the Pool (http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_209_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Leisure/Parks_and_Facilities/Swimming_Pools/Pullen_Aquatic_Center/Cat-Index.html - broken link) and amusement rides (Carousel (http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_209_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Leisure/Parks_and_Facilities/Pullen_Park/Cat-1C-2008402-173847-Chavis_Carousel.html - broken link) & Train (http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_209_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Leisure/Parks_and_Facilities/Pullen_Park/Cat-1C-2005308-090933-Pullen_Amusements.html - broken link)) were not open yet. I plan to go back when my niece is in town and will try and post more pictures later showing more of the park and what it has to offer. Here are a few to start it out.

For More Info on Pullen Park:

Pullen Park - Wikipedia
Pullen Park Map (pdf)

Some Pictures of Pullen Park (Pictures Taken on May 18, 2008)

Opie an Andy

Paddle Boats

Train Tracks (For the Kiddie Train)

Old Caboose

More to come ..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 12:23 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,796,282 times
I love this park! Great pics...thanks! Sure brings back memories of my childhood!

Old 05-19-2008, 06:19 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,142,728 times
I'm going to be visiting Raleigh in a few days for the first time, and I was wondering if this was worth checking out. Glad to see that it is. Thanks for the pics! :-)

Old 05-19-2008, 08:14 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,029,142 times
Great job as usual, NRG.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:15 AM

257 posts, read 710,568 times
It is a really nice park, I think it's a shame I don't hear people talk about it more. When the weather's nice (and nobody's playing at the courts), I sometimes like taking a book behind the tennis courts (facing the paddle boat and river area) and settling down for an hour or two.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:12 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,719,836 times
You didn't get the Carousel!

Glad to see the Andy/Opie statue hasn't been vandalized in a while...didn't people used to steal the fishing poles?

Old 05-19-2008, 09:18 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,189,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You didn't get the Carousel!
Yeah....I was bummed I couldn't snap a shot of it. It wasn't open yet. Apparently it doesn't open until 1pm on Sundays and I was there at 11am.

I'll make sure I get a picture of it next time I am there!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:26 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,796,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhwilkin View Post
It is a really nice park, I think it's a shame I don't hear people talk about it more. When the weather's nice (and nobody's playing at the courts), I sometimes like taking a book behind the tennis courts (facing the paddle boat and river area) and settling down for an hour or two.
Its because the majority move to the burbs and they'd rather stick to their neighborhood than explore their community.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:56 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,005,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
Its because the majority move to the burbs and they'd rather stick to their neighborhood than explore their community.
AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!!!!
I couldn't have said it better. The thing that frustrates me sometimes is that people make sweeping statements and judgments about Raleigh by what immediately surrounds them and what they see along the side of the Interstate as they rush to the mall or to work. I suspect that these folks are some of the same folks who always talk about the city not having anything for singles and childless couples.

I wouldn't be shocked to find out that the majority of Raleigh residents (no less Wake County) have never been to this park. What a shame since it's really the only park of its kind in the County. Where else can you find one of the nation's oldest carousels, paddle boats on a lake, a children's train ride, an olympic sized indoor pool, tennis courts, covered picnic pavillions and a playground in one place? It's totally a Raleigh treasure and everyone should make it a priority to see it.

If you are new to Raleigh or thinking about Raleigh as your future home, I highly recommend that you go and explore what the city has to offer inside its Beltline. Within it you will find a charming, intelligent, progressive city with fantastic resources like Pullen Park. You will find historic neighborhoods, independent stores, restaurants, bars and clubs. You will find museums, an IMAX theater, the Performing Arts Center and the State Capital. You will find quirky businesses like Logan's Nursery built in the old train station. You will find a restaurant and gift shop housed in an old Piggly Wiggly grocery. You will find the Rialto theater playing art house movies and serving wine with the show. You will find tens of thousands of college and university students. You will find the creative soul of the city and the promise of greater things to come.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:12 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,118,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Glad to see the Andy/Opie statue hasn't been vandalized in a while...didn't people used to steal the fishing poles?
I think the fishing pole theft was just one of the types of vandalism to the statue. There also was a paint ball attack. But yeah, it has been a while. The last report I found was 2004. Police To Step Up Patrols After More 'Andy' Vandalism :: WRAL.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I wouldn't be shocked to find out that the majority of Raleigh residents (no less Wake County) have never been to this park.
I think people who are natives of NC have definitely been to Pullen Park; I certainly went there often as a child. People with young children also are generally very aware of it. I think it may be the newcomers without children who are missing it. Check it out! It is beautiful and changes a lot with the seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary