Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 10:03 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,021,006 times

Advertisements

I haven't been for years, last time I was there it seemed that Raleigh lacked a cohesive core. Not talking about the residential/suburban part of Raleigh, but the city itself.

It seems it would have more vibrancy if it added in some sort of pedestrian mall or something similar like Pearl St. Mall in Boulder, or the 16th St. Pedestrian Mall in Denver, Church St. Marketplace in Burlington, the Downtown Pedestrian Mall in Charlottesville, Faneuil Hall in Boston, or even something like King St. in Alexandria, King St. in Charleston or even the downtown in Greenville, SC.

It would provide a "core". I think Raleigh's downtown could be a really cool place like Denver's downtown because it's got a similar vibe - laid back, low key, not all "big city" feeling like Baltimore or Philly or even Boston, although I think Boston feels pretty comfortable for a city it's size. But it would be nice if there was some entertainment and retail mixed in with the bars, restaurants, breweries, government buildings and its museums.

Perhaps there is already something like that there that I either missed or has been built since I was there.

Last edited by macalan; 12-16-2021 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 10:17 AM

19,455 posts, read 27,907,287 times
I'm of the thought that retail brick and mortar stores are slowly going the way of the dinosaur.

Old 12-16-2021, 10:17 AM

9,150 posts, read 14,793,190 times
Fayetteville St was converted to a pedestrian mall in the 1970s when that was all the rage. It didn't really help here, like most places (I think you'll find the success stories of these cinersions to be few and far between), so they ripped it up 15 years ago and put vehicular access back.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faye...leigh)#History

Now, they never really tried a market stall type setup there, and maybe something like that would work somewhere if it was in the right place.

Could be if they had done that then maybe the conversion would have worked better, who knows.

Part if it is the lack of any real residential presence in DT until around the mid aughts as well.

Old 12-16-2021, 10:50 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,513,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Fayetteville St was converted to a pedestrian mall in the 1970s when that was all the rage. It didn't really help here, like most places (I think you'll find the success stories of these cinersions to be few and far between), so they ripped it up 15 years ago and put vehicular access back.

Now, they never really tried a market stall type setup there, and maybe something like that would work somewhere if it was in the right place.

Could be if they had done that then maybe the conversion would have worked better, who knows.

Part if it is the lack of any real residential presence in DT until around the mid aughts as well.
I feel like City Market in downtown could be a prime spot for something like that.

Old 12-16-2021, 10:52 AM

459 posts, read 374,777 times
We can always consider a new entertainment district be created. Kansas City successfully built one in the downtown we can too. Downtown South might have been that project but looks to be directionless atm.

Old 12-16-2021, 10:53 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,021,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post

I think I remember reading that. Might have been too early.

It doesn't even need to be a Pedestrian Mall. Alexandria's King St and Charleston's King St, and probably most of the others I listed aren't restricted to Pedestrian traffic. And the areas are a big draw for people.

Where is the retail currently in Raleigh's downtown?

Old 12-16-2021, 11:30 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,189,260 times
I feel like they've tried to make City Market a thing without much success. To be honest, I feel like North Hills is the closest thing to a pedestrian retail district.

Old 12-16-2021, 11:36 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,312,327 times
When I moved to Raleigh in 2005 they were in the process of ripping up the pedestrian mall and reopening Fayetteville street to vehicle traffic. Everything I read about the pedestrain mall indicated it was pretty much a failure hence why they were ripping it up.

Old 12-16-2021, 11:39 AM

459 posts, read 374,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
When I moved to Raleigh in 2005 they were in the process of ripping up the pedestrian mall and reopening Fayetteville street to vehicle traffic. Everything I read about the pedestrain mall indicated it was pretty much a failure hence why they were ripping it up.

The failure is the suburbanization of US cities in the 20th century. Americans don't like walking so downtowns and our obesity crisis reflect that.

Old 12-16-2021, 11:49 AM

9,150 posts, read 14,793,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
We can always consider a new entertainment district be created. Kansas City successfully built one in the downtown we can too. Downtown South might have been that project but looks to be directionless atm.
Downtown south would be terrible for downtown. At least now. Want to hold onto the idea and do it in 30 years. Maybe then. Downtown is just now becoming something good. Let's fill in the surface parking that's everywhere first and then maybe it will be time to expand. But even then, having it separate from the edge of downtown by a mile, with neighborhoods in between will never be a good planning. It is too far for most to consider being walkable and will devastate the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary