Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 02:16 PM

151 posts, read 195,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Total degradation is the proper term. Y’all’s obsession with growth is unusual to say the least . Again, I have no clue how you reconcile your leftist politics with heavy pro corporation republican style growth and environment . I’m genuinely curious , perhaps we could talk over private message but I’m interested to hear it. Serious .

Should we be sad at growth? There's plenty of country land to live in if you want to. Also, you don't have to make everything a political issue "leftist" smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 04:12 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,259 times
The one thing they don't allow on those water supply lakes is the building of homes along the shoreline.

I would think the depth and creation of manmade lakes like almost all are in central NC would determine if swimming and boating were OK.

Orange County, CA recycles all of its water I believe known as "Toilet to Tap."

City water supplies are likely the most closely watched of all types. I think they do it every hour.

Most bottled water is from municipal taps, and the ph probably is a huge determinate in taste.

People laugh when I inform them that NYC is considered to have the best tasting water of any city in the country, but it's true.

Wherever they get it from in the adironidacks or somewhere like that has almost no limestone rock, giving it a great ph and taste without the calcitates or whatever from limestone that are bitter.

NYC tap water is known as the "champagne" of municipal water supplies.

And to those that wouldn't drink tap water, I remind them that every restaurant cooks with it.

Old 01-14-2022, 09:35 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,404,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
The one thing they don't allow on those water supply lakes is the building of homes along the shoreline.

I would think the depth and creation of manmade lakes like almost all are in central NC would determine if swimming and boating were OK.

City water supplies are likely the most closely watched of all types. I think they do it every hour.

Most bottled water is from municipal taps, and the ph probably is a huge determinate in taste.

People laugh when I inform them that NYC is considered to have the best tasting water of any city in the country, but it's true.

Wherever they get it from in the adironidacks or somewhere like that has almost no limestone rock, giving it a great ph and taste without the calcitates or whatever from limestone that are bitter.

And to those that wouldn't drink tap water, I remind them that every restaurant cooks with it.
NYC also benefited from a very strong push to conserve land around the rivers that provide them with water . We are trying to do the same here but it’s too little too late .

Old 01-14-2022, 10:22 PM

405 posts, read 317,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
NYC also benefited from a very strong push to conserve land around the rivers that provide them with water . We are trying to do the same here but it’s too little too late .
No "Mus". It's not too late.

Old 01-15-2022, 05:18 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

Basically every time you cook a meal at home, you’re consuming some amount of tap water. Even if you’re only using it to boil pasta.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:39 AM

339 posts, read 318,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
From Business North Carolina:

"Turns out (that Sanford), 45 miles south of Raleigh, plans to greatly expand its water system, partly to serve the Triangle Innovation Point megasite in neighboring Chatham County.

Here's where it gets interesting: (Mayor Chet) Mann says Triangle Innovation is on track to land either a massive semiconductor chip plant that he believes could be a record economic development deal for North Carolina. Or it may attract another major manufacturing company, he says. Nothing is final, but a lot is going on behind the scenes with chip companies increasingly investing in U.S. operations to reduce the reliance on production in China and Taiwan."

Will be interesting to follow.
TIP got nixed.

From the Triad Business Journal:
https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...ngle-site.html

U.S. chipmaker walks away from negotiations with Chatham megasite
Jan 14, 2022, 3:02pm EST Updated: Jan 14, 2022, 3:11pm EST

CHATHAM COUNTY ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
"Triangle Innovation Point sits about 45 minutes from Raleigh.
The Triangle Innovation Point megasite in Chatham County is no longer in the running to land a massive semiconductor facility, sources familiar with the project told Triangle Business Journal.
Sources added that North Carolina's inability to come to terms with the building of a post-treatment facility and the multi-billion dollar ask for incentives that included tax credits for decades may have been reasons why the chipmaker decided to pass over the TIP site, formerly known as the Moncure Megasite. The project faces stiff competition from several states.
The company notified North Carolina officials of its decision in the past couple of days, sources added.
Dubbed "Project Autumn," sources had previously tied the project to Idaho-based Micron Technology Inc. (Nasdaq: MU), which has already announced a $150 billion expansion of its chipmaking capabilities. The company noted it is exploring new sites in the U.S. and abroad. Austin Business Journal reported earlier this month that Micron was scouting locations in Central Texas for a chip factory.
Given the size of the semiconductor project, it was inevitable that tax breaks, grants, infrastructure and workforce assistance would play a critical role in landing the project. "The (incentive) number being discussed would have dwarfed the Apple incentive package," one source added.
Figures from the North Carolina Department of Commerce show the state's incentive package for Apple Inc. (Nasdaq: AAPL) topped $835 million to secure $1 billion in investment over the next 10 years. Apple's incentives run for about 39 years. Last April, Apple announced $430 billion in new investments for its facilities that would eventually add 20,000 more workers to its payroll. As part of the global expansion, Apple's Research Triangle Park campus is expected to create some 3,000 jobs.
It is unclear at this point whether North Carolina officials will reach out to the chipmaker with a new set of benefits and breaks to sweeten the incentives pot.
Ari Rastegar, founder and CEO of Rastegar Property Company in Austin, had no insider information but said if Texas moves ahead of North Carolina on Micron’s list, it likely comes down to incentives.
“The economy of Texas is so enormous,” he said. “If it were a country, it would be the ninth-largest country in the world. When you’re up against something like that, with a balance sheet of that size, it makes it hard to compete.”
Triangle Business Journal previously reported a domestic semiconductor company was eyeing TIP for a project that would have yielded a $40 billion investment and 5,000-10,000 jobs at full build out. The project would have been the largest in North Carolina economic development history. A Micron spokesperson previously said the company was vetting multiple states in the U.S. for a multibillion dollar facility.
Demand for semiconductors has soared since the onset of the pandemic rankled supply chains across the world, affecting the production of everything from vehicles to appliances. Several domestic chipmakers are making big investments in U.S. facilities, including Samsung’s (OTCMKTS: SSNLF) $17 billion investment for a new facility in Texas – which is eligible for nearly $1 billion in state and local incentives. And this week, Cleveland.com reported that Intel Corp. (Nasdaq: INTC) was eyeing a suburb of Columbus, Ohio, for a new facility.
Officials have said both the TIP site and the Chatham-Siler City Advanced Manufacturing Site in Chatham County are being looked at by many large companies. Sources say there are multiple electric vehicle manufacturers eyeing the county's two megasites and those projects are in various stages of their site selection processes.
TIP remains a prime area for a major economic development investment given its proximity to Raleigh and Research Triangle Park. The name of the site was changed after it was repositioned as a potential hub for tech and life sciences rather than traditional manufacturing.
"It's amazing," Michael Smith, president of Chatham County Economic Development, said earlier this month. "The level of interest and activity we've had for both of our megasites, it's been more than we've seen in the history of our organization."

Old 01-15-2022, 08:52 AM

339 posts, read 318,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
That's just it, we have to tie onto the city sewer and to do that we have to be
annexed into the city? However none of my neighbors and others are in the city
but yet they have city sewer. No one wants to be in the city. The wife went to the
meeting to voice her complaints about it and they said the laws have changed?
Then they went so far as to tell her if we don't get annexed, they will just condemn
the property. My ass they will!
your taxes will go up astronomically, feel for you for sure &
eminent domain totally bites .
Guess is they exercise eminent domain they would have to at the least give you FMV for your home?
If it were me and they want to play that way I'd let them have my place and move on .
Voluntary annexation is not always so voluntary by all who would be affected either it seems.

Last edited by lastdash; 01-15-2022 at 09:09 AM..

Old 01-15-2022, 11:39 AM

919 posts, read 745,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdash View Post
TIP got nixed.

From the Triad Business Journal:
https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...ngle-site.html
Yeah, thats already been noted upthread. Its too bad.

Old 01-15-2022, 11:43 AM

919 posts, read 745,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdash View Post
your taxes will go up astronomically, feel for you for sure &
eminent domain totally bites .
Guess is they exercise eminent domain they would have to at the least give you FMV for your home?
If it were me and they want to play that way I'd let them have my place and move on .
Voluntary annexation is not always so voluntary by all who would be affected either it seems.
There is no connection between annexation and emninent domain. The situation as described by the other poster doesn't make sense. If he/she doesn't want to hook up water and sewer then no annexation is required. And not doing so won't lead to an eminent domain situation.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:57 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,724,700 times
The last thing I want to do is hook up to city sewer. The problem is
the drain field from my septic tank has failed due to a massive amount
of tree roots growing into the old terra cotta pipe. I thought, no problem
I'll just get a new drain field put in and be done with it. Not going to
happen I found out since the septic tank straddles the property line and the
drain field crosses three other property lines. The property will not perk and
even if it did they will not approve the area for the new tank and drain field to
go.

So for the last 18 months the sewage has been coming to the top of the
ground and it's not a pleasant smell. Lucky for me it's far enough way I
don't notice it except when I mow but it's really bad for the neighbors. We
have had to get the property surveyed at least four times that I know of?
Not to mention all kinds of fees, permits, etc. the city is wanting. So after
18 months I'm no closer to getting the problem fixed than when I started.

We thought we would be grandfathered in since it's so old but that's not
going to happen. So we had to get annexed to tie into city sewer even though
my neighbor and others are not. Total bull**** as far as I'm concerned but what
can you do short of getting a lawyer and spending thousands more and taking forever.
If we ever get the easements, etc taken care of we can proceed. We are looking at
15,000.00 (or more) to get it done? The plumbing has to be rerouted to come out
the front of the house now instead of the back where it currently is. After that it's through
my yard to the right of way, turn and head down the side of the highway or whatever
they will do. It's been a major pain in the ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
If he/she doesn't want to hook up water and sewer then no annexation is required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary