Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:53 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times

Advertisements

Here are a few pictures of North Hills I took earlier this spring. It was very early and most of the shops were still closed so that is why nobody is out and about. I wish they had the fountains running as they make for nice pictures. I will try to post more pictures down the road.

Fore More Information about North Hills, check out:

North Hills - Information (http://www.northhillsraleigh.com/Information.htm - broken link)

Recent Article in the News and Observer:

newsobserver.com | Raleigh builder thrives after his success at North Hills (http://www.newsobserver.com/print/friday/business/story/1074618.html - broken link)

Some Random Pictures of North Hills Mall

View looking at the construction of site if the Renaissance Raleigh Hotel

The Crane in the background is located across the street at the construction site for the Captrust Tower

The square where they hold music evnts on Thursday Nights in the Spring/Summer

Some Condos with retail on the bottom floor

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 05-19-2008 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: Change title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 08:10 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Nice pics, but technically, it's not North Hills Mall anymore. I thought I was going to see some old photos to take me down memory lane

Old 05-19-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Nice pics, but technically, it's not North Hills Mall anymore. I thought I was going to see some old photos to take me down memory lane
Good point! I have changed to title of the thread. Thanks!!

Old 08-14-2008, 06:21 AM

Thumbs up update

From the North Raleigh News from the N&O:

newsobserver.com | Kane's North Hills hot spot growing (http://www.newsobserver.com/midtownraleighnews/story/1175559.html - broken link)

Looks like North Hills will be double in size.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:25 AM

52 posts, read 142,875 times
Wow, that's beautiful! I'm moving to Raleigh in 2 weeks from Naperville, IL, which has one of the most beautiful downtown shopping/dining areas I've ever seen. Are there more of these great little outdoor shop/dine areas in Raleigh? If so, can anyone point me toward them? North Raleigh would be great, but I would drive anywhere.

NRG, I've been checking out your posts for months now, and I thank you for posting so many wonderful things about Raleigh. During those times when I feel the twinge of "Are we doing the right thing?", I know I can come read your posts and feel great about our decision during this slightly scary time.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:26 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,941 times
Loved North Hills when I went there for the first time - very cool vibe...reminds me of what some of the nicer developers in LA are doing.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:48 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
I think I like the place better with people! It looks sort of sad without them. Unlike real urban environments, the "architecture" at North Hills has a hard time standing on its own without people. The Victorian storefronts on Fayetteville Street and some of the other restored historic storefronts downtown are far more interesting.

That said, I do like North Hills. It's a vast improvement in the area and a much better model for new development than pushing the metro area further out into the woods.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:23 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times
NRG, sometimes I think you post such pics just to get easy rep points.

I really like developments like those, though. Seems that they're popping up everywhere, but up here I don't see many that have residential development... just commercial/retail.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:30 AM

Thumbs up Other Places

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Anne View Post
Wow, that's beautiful! I'm moving to Raleigh in 2 weeks from Naperville, IL, which has one of the most beautiful downtown shopping/dining areas I've ever seen. Are there more of these great little outdoor shop/dine areas in Raleigh? If so, can anyone point me toward them? North Raleigh would be great, but I would drive anywhere.

NRG, I've been checking out your posts for months now, and I thank you for posting so many wonderful things about Raleigh. During those times when I feel the twinge of "Are we doing the right thing?", I know I can come read your posts and feel great about our decision during this slightly scary time.
You are welcome.

If you like North Hills and are looking for other outdoor shop / dine areas I recommend you check out Cameron Village witch is closer to downtown Raleigh. There is also a European Style shopping development called Lafayette Village that is currently under construction in North Raleigh on Falls of Neuse Road. I believe this is located only a few miles from where you mentioned you would be living. You may also want to make a trip out to Southpoint Mall in Durham and check out their outdoor section.

Cameron Village
Cameron Village (broken link)

Lafayette Village
Lafayette Village Raleigh

The Streets at Southpoint
The Streets at Southpoint (http://www.streetsatsouthpoint.com/html/index20.asp - broken link)
Duke Magazine-Southpoint (http://www.dukemagazine.duke.edu/dukemag/issues/091002/mall1.html - broken link)

Old 08-14-2008, 01:53 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
I'll second NRG's recommendation of Cameron Village. It's the oldest shopping center between Atlanta and Washington DC. I think it was built in 1949 and has undergone several renovations since. It seems to get better and better over time. Its scale is human and the immediate surrounding neighbhorhoods are interesting to explore. While more and more chains are sprouting up in the Village, there are still some independent businesses with some local flavor and interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary