Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2021, 05:00 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,297,704 times

Advertisements

Trying to help out a friend in need. Young lady, single, pregnant, doesn't drive, and not very well socialized, so can be difficult to get along with (so no roomate situations). Are there affordable, SAFE and convenient to amenities (Groceries, bus-line, etc.) places available to rent?

She probably has less than $800/mo to spend on rent and utilities. I realize that is likely not going to happen, but let's use that as a starting point. Even something a little more costly would be good to know about, to see what's possible.

Really, what i'm looking for here is advice to pass along. Are there websites to find rentals like "over the garage" places? Are there other resources? This is a person who would probably qualify for assistance.

Ideally, near Cary, to be near others who can support her, but she's open to anywhere SAFE in Wake County, and possibly Durham. She's a really nice girl, a friend of my daughter. Like I said, sometimes a little difficult, but she's sweet, and i wish I could help her.

Also, if there are churches, or other entities that have programs, I think she'd be open to that, and probably could benefit from becoming involved in a good congregation or community.

Open to suggestions, links, or ideas to pass along. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2021, 05:58 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,816,353 times
I think her first step would be to call 211 and find out what resources are available to her.

https://www.211.org/about-us/your-local-211

Old 12-27-2021, 07:15 AM

6,376 posts, read 5,489,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Trying to help out a friend in need. Young lady, single, pregnant, doesn't drive, and not very well socialized, so can be difficult to get along with (so no roomate situations). Are there affordable, SAFE and convenient to amenities (Groceries, bus-line, etc.) places available to rent?

She probably has less than $800/mo to spend on rent and utilities. I realize that is likely not going to happen, but let's use that as a starting point. Even something a little more costly would be good to know about, to see what's possible.

Really, what i'm looking for here is advice to pass along. Are there websites to find rentals like "over the garage" places? Are there other resources? This is a person who would probably qualify for assistance.

Ideally, near Cary, to be near others who can support her, but she's open to anywhere SAFE in Wake County, and possibly Durham. She's a really nice girl, a friend of my daughter. Like I said, sometimes a little difficult, but she's sweet, and i wish I could help her.

Also, if there are churches, or other entities that have programs, I think she'd be open to that, and probably could benefit from becoming involved in a good congregation or community.

Open to suggestions, links, or ideas to pass along. Thanks in advance.
Then that is DEFINITELY where she should start.

Anything within that budget without a room mate is going to be an over-the-garage "under the table" sort of deal one finds on Craigslist etc. The woman in question sounds like she would unfortunately be quite vulnerable to scams or much worse going down that route.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:30 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,420,936 times
She needs to contact the Wake County housing authority. Unfortunately, it looks as though there is a several year wait to get section 8 housing, although there may be exigent circumstances to make this happen more quickly.

https://www.wakecountyha.org/

Old 12-27-2021, 05:52 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,297,704 times
Thanks to all who replied, all of it is very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Then that is DEFINITELY where she should start.

Anything within that budget without a room mate is going to be an over-the-garage "under the table" sort of deal one finds on Craigslist etc. The woman in question sounds like she would unfortunately be quite vulnerable to scams or much worse going down that route.
^Honestly, She (and I) would love to find a situation like that, an "over the garage" apartment, but like you said, the scam concern is real, so it would have to come with referrals, or from someone that we could validate.

If nothing else, I'm learning that the budget is not realistic, so we have to look at other options. I can direct her toward more social services to see where they can steer her. She does already have some services, as well as advocates, but they are not in Wake County. I think they can give some advice maybe.

Thanks again.

Old 12-27-2021, 06:10 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,339,679 times
Dorcus Ministries offers assistance. If she does not meet criteria they also have resources on their site.

https://dorcascary.org/services/

https://dorcascary.org/services/financial-assistance/

Old 12-30-2021, 12:05 PM

137 posts, read 306,269 times
Check with The Grove at Cary Park apartments. I think they offer lower income apartments, but you'd have to check. You can walk to the grocery store, McDonald's and more. Good schools and a nice area.

Old 12-30-2021, 12:30 PM

43,274 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Thanks to all who replied, all of it is very helpful.

^Honestly, She (and I) would love to find a situation like that, an "over the garage" apartment, but like you said, the scam concern is real, so it would have to come with referrals, or from someone that we could validate.

If nothing else, I'm learning that the budget is not realistic, so we have to look at other options. I can direct her toward more social services to see where they can steer her. She does already have some services, as well as advocates, but they are not in Wake County. I think they can give some advice maybe.

Thanks again.
Might be worthwhile to toss a query on private rentals out on NextDoor.

Sheesh... I popped over to Craigslist, and clearly anything resembling your needs was scam stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary