Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 06:15 AM

426 posts, read 1,455,220 times

Advertisements

Anyone else with input on Grandale? We're thinking about building there. We haven't decided on a model yet - either the Cambridge C or the Ashbourne B (it seems to be the only model with a sizable front porch and that's important to us). We love the Carlyle from an elevation standpoint, but it doesn't really work for us floor plan-wise or price-wise.

One thing I dislike about Grandale is the expense you've got to go to to get a decently equipped house and the crazy lot premiums. They start 20k lower than some in BL, but they end up only a bit cheaper.
Quote:
Models clearly have all upgrades. About how much did you spend/can you expect to spend to spec out your house with the "basics." (Basics being hardwood floors, screened porch, granite countertops, etc.)
To answer the OP's question, we specced one out with these basics (and they're really all we want in a house) and they came out to be about 20k or so without the screening porch. The porch adds about 7k. You'd be able to get a decently specced house for about $40k above base (because of the lot premiums).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 09:17 AM

673 posts, read 2,266,103 times
Default Grandale Subdivision

Have you priced homes with options recently? Centex has been lowering their entry price point for the Grandale subdivision, prices now starting in the $265's, down from the $300's.

We purchased an inventory home last fall, and our home has a fair amount of upgrades, but we do not have or know the amount those options added to our home.

There is currently a home under construction in Grandale, just across Lyons Farm from the model, and it appears to be the same floorplan as the model home, and the sign out front reads "For Sale." I've also noticed another home going up further down Lyons Farm -- it is in the early stages of construction, and there was no sign out yet (at least that I saw) that indicated it was sold or for sale.

With the current slow down in home sales, Centex has scaled way back on spec home construction in the Grandale subdivision.

I would like to echo amcjap's comments though -- we love our Centex home!

Old 05-27-2008, 01:18 PM

21 posts, read 76,285 times
I know some people who have bought in Brightleaf with Drees and absolutely love the neighborhood and the builder. I personally think Drees is one of the best builders out there and hopefully one day I will be able to build one of there homes. Do you have any questions about Drees or the neighborhood and I can ask around to my friends and see what I can find out for you?

Old 05-27-2008, 02:01 PM

6 posts, read 18,051 times
Default Kids in Grandale?

We are also looking at Grandale. The homes are beautiful. We were told expect $60K in upgrades for the larger set of homes (80K max). That's not including the lot premium of 10-20K for the houses we were looking at. Even given all this, there is tremendous value in the prices at Grandale compared to some communities in Cary. We also took a look at the pool which only seemed to be 3.5 ft deep ... a little disappointing for a community pool to be honest.

My question about Grandale is this ... we're going to be having our first child here shortly so we really want a kid friendly community where we make friends with people in similar situations as ours. Driving through Grandale, the neighborhood seemed kind of quiet and I didn't see a lot of swing sets in the back yards. Does anyone know if there's a lot of young people with young kids in this community? How are the schools? Are people with kids not moving into this area?

Old 05-27-2008, 02:08 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,941 times
On the occasions I've driven through, I have seen a passing mother with a stroller here and there. In looking at resales in Grandale and Grandale Place, several had kid-setups inside (nursery or young childs room) but I've never seen a deluge of young kinds out and about like I have at say, Hope Valley Farms.

What other neighborhoods are you looking at? HVF to me is the only one that really stands out in that area as full of kids from my observations, but one major component of that is likely the fact that those homes are in the 200-350k range, not the 350-600k range.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:02 PM

6 posts, read 18,051 times
Default Kids in Grandale?

Thanks for the reply ... the other place we're considering is the Peninsula at Amberly which I know has lots of kids + a great community pool/center. We liked the homes & lots better in Grandale but got a "bad vibe" on it being so quiet. Just wasn't sure if it was the day we were there or if that's the norm ...

Old 05-27-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntod View Post
Thanks for the reply ... the other place we're considering is the Peninsula at Amberly which I know has lots of kids + a great community pool/center. We liked the homes & lots better in Grandale but got a "bad vibe" on it being so quiet. Just wasn't sure if it was the day we were there or if that's the norm ...
We're looking at Grandale and we've got a 15 month-old. I didn't think to look at yards but that's something to consider.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:58 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,106,871 times
I do miss the sounds of little kids at Grandale (mine are all in college) but eventually we will have lots of kiddies since I see plenty of babies. My neighbor across the street just had twins. My block has quite a few young couples and I see Moms with strollers all the time. I hear the schools are pretty good but again, we are no longer at that stage. The young couples I talk to are very happy with their choice.

I bought an inventory home like Calvitts and our home came with 50k in upgrades which gave us great built ins, beautiful moldings, a wonderful kitchen and much more. We researched for two years and always kept coming back to Grandale because of the wooded lots and unique floor plans. No one beats Centex on customer care. Pick up the phone and the friendly folks are there in a flash no matter what your issue. They give you a two year warranty which is better than most builders.

We've had the house now for nearly six months and we are thrilled every time we walk through the door.

Good luck.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:46 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,106,871 times
sbanawan...there is an inventory ashbourne available at Grandale right now. I took my sister to see it a couple of months back. it's the last of the inventory homes. mine and all the others available a few months back got great incentives. i'm sure the last one could be a steel.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
sbanawan...there is an inventory ashbourne available at Grandale right now. I took my sister to see it a couple of months back. it's the last of the inventory homes. mine and all the others available a few months back got great incentives. i'm sure the last one could be a steel.
We saw that one the other day. It was nice, but we'd prefer a lot on the cul-de-sac. It's listed for 323 now. I'm not sure I saw 60k in upgrades to that house, to be honest. Maybe they priced it before the price cuts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary