Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 08:51 AM

873 posts, read 1,019,156 times

Advertisements

Here are the highlights of the report (see below to read the whole article):
  • According to a report produced by WealthEngine, Wealth-X and The Institute for Luxury Home Marketing (ILHM), there has been an 180% increase in luxury property ownership in a mere three-year period.
  • Regarding construction of The George in downtown Durham (a 7-floor condo building, with residences starting in the $400s and the highest priced units over $2m), Jim Wiley, President of Beacon Street Development Company, said, “Our buyers put value on what really means something to them. In our case, they're placing a premium on lifestyle and value, not just square footage.”
  • Many buyers were inspired to finally buy their dream home during the pandemic and competed for move-in ready homes with attractive features - and sellers generated a premium for them. In August of 2021, the Raleigh area saw steep competition for housing which yielded the most bidding wars nationally over that period with 87% of homes having multiple offers, making us the most cutthroat real estate market in the country. The typical home value in the area was also up 23.5% that month over the prior year.
  • Our local tech talent accounts for over 9% of our working population, and Raleigh-Durham was ranked #3 by LinkedIn for metros whose tech communities are growing fastest.
  • ILHM has identified four groups of buyers driving much of this demand.
  1. The Baby Boomers are skipping the downsize and purchasing homes of their dreams.
  2. The inability to travel and life stage of the 35-40 year old Golden Millennial (those getting married or having children) has driven home buying decisions among this group.
  3. Rise among those Second Homeowners that began in 2020 during the start of the pandemic continues today with affluent individuals looking for a second home for investment or to align with remote work and YOLO (you only live once) mindsets.
  4. Many eclectic city dwellers and first-time buyer Millennials and older Gen-Zers known as Urban Repatriates are looking to capitalize on low interest rates and are seeking more square footage, outdoor spaces and have returned to purchasing downtown properties.
  • Millennials are also the most educated generation in history, have higher earnings and are set to inherit more wealth than any prior generation, according to a May 2020 report by the Brookings Institute. And for the Triangle area, flush with millennials with a median age of 37.5 years, many of which not surprisingly at high earning tech jobs, the direction of the luxury real estate market may never look the same.

https://www.wral.com/redefining-the-...NgbPw.facebook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 10:07 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,610,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
[*]ILHM has identified four groups of buyers driving much of this demand.[/list]
  1. The Baby Boomers are skipping the downsize and purchasing homes of their dreams.
  2. The inability to travel and life stage of the 35-40 year old Golden Millennial (those getting married or having children) has driven home buying decisions among this group.
  3. Rise among those Second Homeowners that began in 2020 during the start of the pandemic continues today with affluent individuals looking for a second home for investment or to align with remote work and YOLO (you only live once) mindsets.
  4. Many eclectic city dwellers and first-time buyer Millennials and older Gen-Zers known as Urban Repatriates are looking to capitalize on low interest rates and are seeking more square footage, outdoor spaces and have returned to purchasing downtown properties.
  • Millennials are also the most educated generation in history, have higher earnings and are set to inherit more wealth than any prior generation, according to a May 2020 report by the Brookings Institute. And for the Triangle area, flush with millennials with a median age of 37.5 years, many of which not surprisingly at high earning tech jobs, the direction of the luxury real estate market may never look the same.

https://www.wral.com/redefining-the-...NgbPw.facebook
Gen X has been forgotten once again
(leave us alone, we're used to it!)

Old 01-18-2022, 10:08 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,061,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
Literally the Jan Gen.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvor View Post
literally the jan gen.
:d :d :d
I've tried to fix those emoji three times

Old 01-18-2022, 10:30 AM

1,326 posts, read 725,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
My thoughts exactly when I was reading this...it's always Millennials Millennials Millennials

I guess we just got left out of the conversation entirely (again!) because many of us are at the stage in life where we're too busy running things and dealing with kids and aging parents to worry about frivolous things like buying our luxury dream home.

Old 01-18-2022, 11:15 AM

873 posts, read 1,019,156 times
A fellow Gen-Xer here. Post this half in fascination and half in laughter. Well, probably more like 40-60, but whatever.

Anyone who pays over $2 million for a condo in downtown Durham isn't putting a premium on "lifestyle and value," no matter what anybody claims. I've seen the luxuries claiming to be provided at The George (ugh, what a name), and none of them can match what I have with my shaded backyard and porch swing. Wonder how many will move in and start complaining about hearing train traffic or fireworks after the Bulls games at night?

Old 01-18-2022, 11:28 AM

6,382 posts, read 5,507,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
My thoughts exactly when I was reading this...it's always Millennials Millennials Millennials

I guess we just got left out of the conversation entirely (again!) because many of us are at the stage in life where we're too busy running things and dealing with kids and aging parents to worry about frivolous things like buying our luxury dream home.
Listen we are the largest generation and currently 2nd loudest after the tie between GenZ and the boomers.

It's our time to shine. Y'all had your shot and you decided to make pet rocks a thing so hey....

Old 01-18-2022, 11:29 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,061,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelnick View Post
listen we are the largest generation and currently 2nd loudest after the tie between genz and the boomers.

It's our time to shine. Y'all had your shot and you decided to make pet rocks a thing so hey....
hahahahahahahahahah

Old 01-18-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Y'all had your shot and you decided to make pet rocks a thing so hey....
Mine was adorable

Old 01-18-2022, 11:44 AM

1,326 posts, read 725,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Listen we are the largest generation and currently 2nd loudest after the tie between GenZ and the boomers.

It's always been y'all's time to shine with all your participation medals and all. Now excuse me while I go attend to my pet rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary