Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 12:38 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,661,437 times

Advertisements

We've been very happy with Holly Grove Elementary in Holly Springs. It's brand-new and the administrative staff has been great. No complaints here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 01:36 PM

29 posts, read 117,999 times
I have two at Turner Creek in Cary and it has been excellent. One is in AG classes and the other gets outside class help in math, so they run the spectrum on services and accomodating special needs.

They'll be moving to Holly Grove next school year (not because of redistricting but because we bought a house) and the staff has been great with all the transferring business. I've heard great things about it (like from lovemaine above).

Old 05-20-2008, 01:41 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,034,573 times
As you see, in my original post, most WCPSS elementary schools are very good and most people *usually* love the school they are in. There are some schools which "rank" higher than others based on test scores, but then there may be other attributes about that school that are not always favorable, depending on the family/child's needs. There are other schools which don't rank as high, but families love the school!
Personally, if you are considering Wake as a place to live, I would first start researching neighborhoods that have what your family is looking for, find one you love and THEN start looking at the schools.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:48 PM

20 posts, read 69,714 times
Thanks! Great input all around. Much appreciated.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:57 PM

47 posts, read 153,320 times
Three words....THE RALEIGH SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-20-2008, 07:50 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,484,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurelgreen View Post
Three words....THE RALEIGH SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not looking for a school, but just looked it up since you mentioned it. It sounds fabulous and is inexpensive (as private schools in the area go). Sounds great!

Old 07-06-2008, 07:49 PM

29 posts, read 85,755 times
I am moving to the area in August. I have been dealing with the administrative staff at Holly Grove and they are top notch. I have heard wonderful things about the school and I am very excited for the kids to go there. Holly Grove Elementary in Holly Springs sounds like a sure bet.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,676 times
I know this is an old post, but we are thinking of moving to Apex, Cary or Holly Springs from Boston MA. We have young children and education is extremely important to us. We want to move somewhere that affords them a first rate education. Are these areas good? Our good friend lives in Durham, but I heard that Apex/Cary area is better to raise a family in??? Thanks so much!

Old 08-31-2014, 04:55 PM

351 posts, read 690,521 times
Cary has the lowest taxes and some of the best schools. In fact most of the schools there are top notch so where you go in Cary doesn't matter really. Some areas of Cary that are close to borders of other cities/towns may mean your child goes to that town's school. However, lucky you, Apex has some very good schools too as does Morrisville. Wake county has choices of year round and traditional schools. So far, you do have a choice of which calender option you prefer, but you can always try to place your focus on a home with the school of your choice as it's base school. No guarantee you'll get to that school, but most of the time, if it's your base school, you'll get in.

I chose Cary for myself because of it's many parks and walking trails. Tons of areas to go within walking distance for a child's entertainment. There are many shopping centers that are including playgrounds and family activities as well as food and shopping options. Most of Cary has a well-groomed appearance to it and is considered one of the safest towns to live in in the US. That does not mean Apex is dangerous. Apex is also a nice place to live and people seem very happy there.

I have family in Chapel Hill. It's very finished there and has some very attractive features there with it's downtown and college area. It has some newer areas too with newer subdivisions with their own food and shopping areas (Cary is filled with those). The schools are good there as well. Fewer easy to get to trails and parks, but still family friendly. Durham is getting better, but definitely has some areas to stay away from. I hear North and East Durham is not as safe as the Southern, Western and parts of Mid. It's city to me does not feel that safe, whereas Raleigh recently got a write-up for being one of the safest feeling cities in the US. Raleigh has some good areas too with good schools. Best to ask those that live in Raleigh where the good schools are or check greatschools.org or similar sites for specific school information. I hear North Raleigh and Wake Forest are very nice!

My experience is with Cary and I'm very happy here!

Old 08-31-2014, 10:34 PM

36 posts, read 39,364 times
We have been absolutely thrilled with JY Joyner in Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary