Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2022, 03:22 PM

3,732 posts, read 2,073,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
What? I said earlier that Becky is just the one that spoke about it at the meeting. I am sure there were many many other people who looked into it and found the same discrepancies. She’s just the one that won the lottery to speak at the meeting. That’s why I find it childish to make fun of the woman for being the one that spoke out.

So you’re right it is much deeper than that. The root of the problem is a lot of people don’t trust this school board.
And I think people having trust issues with the board is completely fair, and this event should heap more on. I just think the counter point (trust there isn’t more to the motivations of Becky/those pumping her) is sorta bizarre; especially with the National school board stuff acting as a backdrop.

Like…it is possible to do something good and righteous while having said action occur from a context that isn’t.

ETA - I think we’ve sorta beat this convo to death. Ima bout to tie one on and won’t be back on til sometime tomorrow….and as such you can have the last word

Old 01-22-2022, 03:29 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
And I think people having trust issues with the board is completely fair, and this event should heap more on. I just think the counter point (trust there isn’t more to the motivations of Becky/those pumping her) is sorta bizarre; especially with the National school board stuff acting as a backdrop.

Like…it is possible to do something good and righteous while having said action occur from a context that isn’t.
Why does Becky's motive matter? She spoke publicly about wrongdoing, good for her. I understand her views likely don't align with yours, but making fun of her is just strange to me, especially considering how this all ended up playing out.

What is much more important is what the school board's motive is, and whether or not they played a part in this whole Artis mess.

Old 01-22-2022, 06:37 PM

1,228 posts, read 805,573 times
The School Board definitely engaged in some real Shenanigans on this one and deserved to be publicly pistol whipped for it. The entire board should resign in disgrace and new elections called. DON’T LIE. My kids have been taught this at home, but apparently the school board shouldn’t be held to the same standard?. “Buuuuut my Transparancy” isn’t going to fly on this one, as this was opaque as a mud puddle. Signed, an Independent with two kids in WCPSS, but potentially not for much longer. Seriously and sadly…

Old 01-23-2022, 06:01 AM

1,343 posts, read 736,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Why does Becky's motive matter?
Look back at the history of the BOE say a decade or so ago. Maybe it was before your time in the area. People like Becky were in charge and the district is still paying the price IMO. They systematically dismantled a formerly decent system. I think their actions then are at least in part why things are so contentious now. The pendulum has swung the other direction. But whatever is happening now is better than the previous crapshow. It's one of the reasons I couldn't convince my husband to move back to Wake until recently.

Old 01-23-2022, 07:06 AM

22,742 posts, read 36,999,081 times
I’ve lived here 11 years and it’s been plenty of time to set things right. When I moved here and up until just a few years ago I felt like the school system was doing the best it could under difficult circumstances - a big county growing rapidly by the day etc etc. I no longer feel like their mission is focused on the education of its students as its top priority. And that’s very very sad. And Mahaffey is the shadiest of the shady and is now Chairperson.

But I also have no sympathy for people who literally WEEKS after Election Day were screaming on social media about “ousting this board”. I have a problem with people who only care when stuff affects THEM. Pay attention and vote and you can at least feel like you did something. One of the most vocal opponents of this BOE doesn’t even have kids in WCPSS anymore (he’s the one got sued by the MVP vendor). His kids have all graduated. But he’s still paying attention.

Old 01-23-2022, 07:52 AM

There's video of the estranged wife saying Artis told her he was going to be given the seat, weeks prior to the interview.

Obviously should be taken with a grain of salt.

Old 01-23-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
I got some more names from this article.

https://www.wral.com/new-pick-for-wa...0/?version=amp

Seems like there should be one more? These 3, plus Artis, plus the one initially excluded for living out of district. Weren’t there 6?
There was one that backed out the day of the interviews.

Old 01-24-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Rules are rules. They should follow whatever those are and it sounds like they aren't in Artis' favor.

PS - As an aside, cry harder Steve Bergstrom. Brah, you lost. It wasn't close. His twitter feed should have the Law and Order "Dun-Dun" on it. "Day 6....."
I'm curious about the Steve Bergstrom comment. What did he lose?

Old 01-24-2022, 08:46 AM

3,732 posts, read 2,073,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'm curious about the Steve Bergstrom comment. What did he lose?
Didn't he run against Mahaffey in District 8 and lose by almost 30 points?

His twitter feed reads like the dude who got tossed out of Studio 54 and rather than go home and sleep it off and save some face, he's standing outside on the sidewalk trolling all the people who are going to get in.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:10 AM

Oh I thought he dropped out of that race but pretty close to election day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary