Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 07:21 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,352,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Apparently they have put in 75 complaints (against specific books) in 100 different districts down in TX in the last four months.

In the same time period last year, there was one.

As I said since I jumped into this thread, this is a National, coordinated effort which got lucky the board play hard and fast with the rules here.
Yup, they left the door open. People better pay attention at the next election because this is a very coordinated and orchestrated national movement.

Old 02-01-2022, 07:39 PM

3,732 posts, read 2,070,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Yup, they left the door open. People better pay attention at the next election because this is a very coordinated and orchestrated national movement.
People should pay attention every election (not to say you are implying anything different), but yes.

Old 02-01-2022, 07:47 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,352,803 times
Quote:
People should pay attention every election (not to say you are implying anything different), but yes.
Yes, poor choice of words.

Old 02-01-2022, 08:03 PM

805 posts, read 527,354 times
Quote:
Apparently they have put in 75 complaints (against specific books) in 100 different districts down in TX in the last four months.

In the same time period last year, there was one.

As I said since I jumped into this thread, this is a National, coordinated effort which got lucky the board played hard and fast with the rules here.

To take your irony even further, the proposal in Katy (I believe) is to replace four books with the Bible. Please, tell me more about Liberty
Ah, yes. Evangelical freedom. Lovely.

Old 02-01-2022, 08:22 PM

58 posts, read 32,015 times
Quote:
Is this what you're talking about?

https://nsjonline.com/article/2021/0...ias-education/ (and yes I am aware of the bias of that publication)

JHC, Chris Rufo did succeed.
He succeeded because there's more than a grain of truth to the problems he's put attention on. His supposed cure is far worse than the disease, though, and unfortunately most people won't make that realization until it's too late. It really is the exact same dynamic as our local school board issue a decade ago, where the problem with more-than-a-grain-of-truth was that the constant upheaval of school assignments and complex, mandatory long-distance busing was incredibly frustrating. The fiasco resulting from that election was entirely predictable if you were interested in following politics, but I also couldn't blame parents and voters feeling ignored by the earlier board.

Old 02-01-2022, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedbirdSaint View Post
He succeeded because there's more than a grain of truth to the problems he's put attention on. His supposed cure is far worse than the disease, though, and unfortunately most people won't make that realization until it's too late. It really is the exact same dynamic as our local school board issue a decade ago, where the problem with more-than-a-grain-of-truth was that the constant upheaval of school assignments and complex, mandatory long-distance busing was incredibly frustrating. The fiasco resulting from that election was entirely predictable if you were interested in following politics, but I also couldn't blame parents and voters feeling ignored by the earlier board.
I don’t disagree there is more than a grain of truth to the problems he has put attention to. Any theory taken to its fundamental, unfettered end is going to be less than ideal. As none of them are built to solve and answer everything, all the time.

David Pepper applies this to broader and historical contexts as he shared today on twitter, to interesting effect.

Old 02-02-2022, 07:45 AM

22,728 posts, read 36,950,779 times
I'm not so sure the BOE is going to experience an entire turnover. Even the people who show up at the BOE meetings were the ones complaining last year, right after election day, HOW CAN WE GET RID OF THIS BOARD. So, most people don't seem to know or care to make a huge change. Maybe if the book banning gains traction, people will wake up, but the librarians already seem committed to pushing back (a couple of them spoke last night at the meeting). WCPSS cannot afford to lose staff over this issue.

Old 02-02-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'm not so sure the BOE is going to experience an entire turnover. Even the people who show up at the BOE meetings were the ones complaining last year, right after election day, HOW CAN WE GET RID OF THIS BOARD. So, most people don't seem to know or care to make a huge change. Maybe if the book banning gains traction, people will wake up, but the librarians already seem committed to pushing back (a couple of them spoke last night at the meeting). WCPSS cannot afford to lose staff over this issue.
Apathy is a stinky cologne. People seem to forget if you don't engage in the process (even if we are disillusioned with the political class of all persuasions) then by not engaging you have given leverage of your voice to someone else.

I grew up in a country where people would show up at a polling place, Suharto's brown shirts would be outside offering $5-10 to anyone willing to sell their vote, and given that was about a month's pay at their minimum wage, demand was obviously high.....then they would turn around and quietly ask (because you didn't want to go to his interrogation sites) why their government wouldn't listen to the people.

Brah, you sold your vote to the guy who doesn't listen to you because he is a military dictator.

As my mom used to say, if you don't engage, you don't get to *****.

Old 02-02-2022, 07:56 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,313,054 times
Jim Martin said he's not planning on running, so that's a bonus!

Gotta wonder if others will follow - especially his best buddy Kushner.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Jim Martin said he's not planning on running, so that's a bonus!

Gotta wonder if others will follow - especially his best buddy Kushner.

I do wonder if this shady event makes the incumbents quake a little at reelection prospects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary