Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 02:20 PM

10 posts, read 10,459 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to the area in the next 2-3 years. My husband and I will both be in our mid 60's and are leaving Long Island. We would like to be in a community that offers tennis, pickleball, pool, restaurant, etc. It does not necessarily have to be a 55+ community. We are open to building something new or purchasing a resale in an existing community. Our budget is between $400-$550,000 range, knowing that it always ends up costing more. We would like to be in an area that is not too far from stores, restaurants, theaters, hospitals etc. Where do we start looking? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 02:59 PM

3,662 posts, read 3,942,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpamomma190 View Post
We are looking to relocate to the area in the next 2-3 years. My husband and I will both be in our mid 60's and are leaving Long Island. We would like to be in a community that offers tennis, pickleball, pool, restaurant, etc. It does not necessarily have to be a 55+ community. We are open to building something new or purchasing a resale in an existing community. Our budget is between $400-$550,000 range, knowing that it always ends up costing more. We would like to be in an area that is not too far from stores, restaurants, theaters, hospitals etc. Where do we start looking? Any suggestions?
If I were you, I'd consider Wilmington, NC. That is if you enjoy the ocean and such.

Raleigh is full of couples raising children as it's a great place to do that. It's very family oriented towards school age children.

More retirees likely will be found in the coastal regions.

That's just my opinion, and I'm a Triangle native.

Old 08-06-2021, 03:02 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Have you ever been to the Triangle? I'm always curious when people say they don't want to be too far from stores, restaurants, theatres etc what they're picturing or when they were last here.

If I were you I'd dump the LI house now while you can get top dollar and buy here before the Apple thing really takes off, and rent on LI for the next few years.

Old 08-06-2021, 03:31 PM

10 posts, read 10,459 times
Yes, we have been there before, but only for an extended weekend. We didn't really get a good "feel" of the area to determine whether or not it is for us. We also visited Wilmington/Leland. We enjoyed Wilmington itself as a place to visit but not as a place to live. Too congested for us. We are not beach people. I especially loved Compasse Point in Leland, although my husband felt it was too far from restaurants, grocery stores etc. He also had a hard time finding the NY Times, and his finance newspapers which really bummed him out. We are still very active, health conscious, young retirees which is why we don't want to commit to a 55+ community. I enjoy being around the younger generation and watching their families grow. I'm hoping my children may eventually follow.
Yes, you are right about selling in NY now. Prices are ridiculous which is why everyone is selling and/or leaving!

Old 08-06-2021, 04:08 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,427,763 times
We lived in the Raleigh area for almost 11 years, and moved to the coast when we retired in 2018. A few thoughts…

If you liked Compass Pointe, check out Brunswick Forest in the center of Leland. No where as remote as Compass Pointe. Lots of retired folks from NY, NJ and other places. Plenty of stores for “everyday shoppingâ€. There are several grocery stores, including Harris Teeter, Lowe’s Foods, Aldi. Plenty of restaurants, physician offices, shops, CVS, Walgreens etc. Brunswick Forest is an active community, not age restricted, with pools, trails, gyms, golf. Also very close by, also in Leland are the communities of Magnolia Green and Waterford. Leland is only 10-15 min outside of Wilmington. I love Wilmington, lots of history, vibrant downtown, great riverfront with lots of shops, restaurants, theater etc. I have found the medical care in Wilmington to be excellent and I retired from Duke as a nurse practitioner

We chose Southport, 30 miles south of Wilmington. It’s a charming town which sits at the mouth of the Cape Fear River, where it empties into the Atlantic. Everything here to meet day to day needs. Several grocery stores, boutiques, multiple restaurants and only a few min drive to the beautiful beaches on Oak Island. Within Southport, although they are actually their own town, is St James Plantation. A huge gated community with several pools, clubs, restaurants, golf etc. the amenities are endless. It is not age restricted although the majority of residents are retired. There are over 4000 homes within SJP. It’s a lovely community. Wasn’t for us as we wanted something smaller and not gated. I have friends who live there and they love it.

As for the Triangle, we loved living there but it’s grown so much, traffic is worse and home prices have skyrocketed. I don’t think prices will be going down anything soon given that Apple and Amazon are coming there. If you’re set on the area, check out Carolina Arbors a Del Webb community on the Raleigh Durham line. We lived there for 5 years before retiring. The amenity center is amazing. There are other communities nearby, Creekside at Bethpage, Carolina Preserve (another Del Webb in Cary, a bit older, residents also older). There is also a smaller Del Webb in Wake Forest and a new one under construction in Fuquay Varina.

Good luck in your search. There’s so much to consider.

Old 08-06-2021, 04:14 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times
Quote:
....Our budget is between $400-$550,000 range, knowing that it always ends up costing more. We would like to be in an area that is not too far from stores, restaurants, theaters, hospitals etc. Where do we start looking? Any suggestions?
If you like the Triangle, look at Wake Forest for small town amenities. It also has large planned communities under the Heritage umbrella. It also has a Del Webb community which might work for you.

Old 08-06-2021, 06:53 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,872,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If you like the Triangle, look at Wake Forest for small town amenities. It also has large planned communities under the Heritage umbrella. It also has a Del Webb community which might work for you.
I was going to suggest Wake Forest as well. We lived in Raleigh for 16 years, raised our kids there, now considering moving to Wake Forest from Greenville, SC. My husband is retired; I am retirement age but still actively selling real estate. I am not anticipating having trouble finding people our own age to "play with". There is plenty to do there for active, older adults, in and out of a 55 plus community. I, too, enjoy being with people of different ages. I think the average age of my friends here is mid forties, but I have friends of all ages, up to 85.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:09 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Prices are ridiculous which is why everyone is selling and/or leaving!
Yes and they are getting to that point here. What is $400K now will be $600k by the time you move here. My neighbor's house is a DUMP and they are asking $600K when they put it up in a few weeks. They just might get it. And it will be almost triple what they paid for it.

I'm not aware of any non country club subdivisions that have a restaurant within, but anything else you want can be found either within the community or close by. There's literally too many subdivisions to list. The entire area is safe, family friendly, and close to amenities. With Duke and UNC there is no shortage of good medical care. Finding your happy place will be up to you....you'll need to make some trips to see which town "speaks" to you.

Old 08-07-2021, 06:48 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,130,843 times
Brier Creek? They have a large pickle ball community, pool, tennis and golf. Very close to shops and healthcare. A realtor could advise but my unprofessional opinion is that your budget is only going to get you a condo or townhouse there.

I have retired friends living in Southport. It might fit a lot of your amenity wish list too.

Old 08-07-2021, 07:33 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,872,975 times
OP what about one of the planned communities, like Wendell Falls? (in Wendell). Of course, as others said, you may be priced out of it by the time you plan to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary