Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 07:28 AM

14 posts, read 10,625 times

Advertisements

I'm not exactly sure when this changed. But it was very obvious to me the other day--when I attempted to order numerous items in a single purchase--that all my prime deliveries were FIVE (5) days out. It was also 4-5 days for the past few items i purchased in the last few weeks, but these one-off purchases were not enough for me to assume (at the time) that the delivery times were not simply isolated to a given item. It is clear now it is at least a regional isolation -- if not company wide problem.

It is difficult to find info on because of all the noise from pandemic articles. This was done very sneakily. Worse, they have not changed their actual 'policy' but have entrenched themselves into their "it starts from time of DELIVERY' clause. The main issue is, this is not a practical equivalency based on nearly 10 years of experience as a customer. Reading what little i could find, it sounds like in many cases people have watched their purchases sit ready for 3, 4, 5+ days and then literally overnighted to the customer.

I am ambivalent. I despise amazon as a company (not getting into here) and they have enslaved me through their disruptive consumer expectations --all no longer relevant. Now it IS faster for me to go out and grab something locally than it is to order on Amazon. A good thing indeed.

However, when I want multiple things that would require me to go to 5 different stores (1st world problems, baby) I have since switched over to Walmart. In the time since i first started to adjust to amazons delivery tempo, I had never noticed how far along the competition has come. Walmart has free 2-day shipping on 85% of the items that were on my list. So I canceled the ~$1k amazon order and will be using walmart now since they can reliably service the triangle area. Walmart also has NO ANNUAL FEE for 2-day shipping. I will be closely monitoring the amount my household uses amazon video. If it turns out we do not watch muh on amazon, then i guess my prime membership is ripe for cancellation due to obsolescence.

Curious what everyone else's experience is and if anyone has any deeper knowledge on amazons subterfuge here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 07:30 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,269,179 times
I just clicked the first thing that came up in my "previously ordered" list, and it's showing same day delivery.

But yes, lots are showing up as Thursday. I would assume it's staffing issues, which isn't surprising.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:34 AM

1,326 posts, read 724,261 times
I've noticed the same thing for several weeks now. When I've change the address to ship to friends/family elsewhere, the delivery date often switches to overnight or a couple days.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:40 AM

14 posts, read 10,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I just clicked the first thing that came up in my "previously ordered" list, and it's showing same day delivery.

But yes, lots are showing up as Thursday. I would assume it's staffing issues, which isn't surprising.

I want to assume this as well, however its not 2020 and everything locked down. Consumers are now back at stores (and have been), which should be a huge relief on their delivery chains, not a greater burden. The fact that other companies can meet the delivery time on the same items is also suspect. that is evidence to me it has more to do with amazon and less to do with shipping/delivery vendors.

I am far from an expert on logistical operations for multi billion dollar retail organizations, but really hoping someone who is starts to analyze the situation (again no solid, reliable sources of info yet tht i could find online)

Old 01-24-2022, 07:42 AM

18,060 posts, read 15,653,675 times
Quote:
Curious what everyone else's experience is and if anyone has any deeper knowledge on amazons subterfuge here.
I assume some of the issues are connected to supply chain backups that have become a problem in the last 2 years.

Also I know AMZN requires prime members to select a "Prime Delivery Day" of the week, which bundles purchases into fewer boxes, but obviously makes it less costly for them. I've started to see upcharges if an item is wanted in 1 day when the item will otherwise arrive for free the day after.

With a pandemic, people who might not otherwise be inclined to order things online, started to do that, since hanging out in retail stores and malls was impacted.

And staffing shortages, and whatever other things that affect service.

AMZN isn't the only online retailer. Are the same issues impacting Walmart deliveries? Target? Buy.com?

Old 01-24-2022, 08:19 AM

5,882 posts, read 6,948,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don.draper View Post
Walmart also has NO ANNUAL FEE for 2-day shipping.
If you are not a member of WalMart+, doesn't the free shipping have a $35 minimum ?

I signed up for a free 3-month trial of WalMart+. It still kept saying I needed $35+ for free shipping, so I canceled. For a huge company, their web site sucks, compared to Amazon, for being able to quickly find something you want.

Old 01-24-2022, 08:32 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,432 times
Not a specific to Triangle thing, but wondering how much the train bandits in LA are impacting Amazon stuff. The videos floating around on the interwebs showing areas of LA that look like third world countries I travelled in as a teen with discarded trash from train heists is admittedly something I didn't ever think I would see here.

Old 01-24-2022, 08:37 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,587,740 times
I canceled my Amazon Prime membership just before COVID hit and honestly have not regretted it. There's a lot of junk and fake products on there and honestly, a lot of other places do relatively quick shipping times as well.

Most places do have a free shipping minimum but that's fine, I will stockpile things in my shopping cart until I hit the shipping minimum and then order. Plus sitting around on orders means that spontaneous purchases that I don't need happen less.

Old 01-24-2022, 08:55 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,327 times
I continue to have good luck with AMZ Prime.

For returns I did not have good experiences with Walmart, I return in-store and that is time-consuming and dreary. AMZ returns are easy. If they even do returns these days and not just tell you to keep it - not sure if Walmart does that.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:36 AM

307 posts, read 297,049 times
Its a miracle you can get things in a week in the first place. Remember when stuff was 6-8wks? I dont think we should rely on the Amazon addiction so much either and especially since a lot of things coming from them are counterfeit or built specifically of low quality - which I'm 100% sure Amazon has promoted. Its just like Walmart and Best buy who sell electronics that are made specifically for their stores with lower quality processors, motors, etc. Even toilet paper, paper towels, and tissues are adulterated. Americans are some cheap mofos.

I try to avoid them when I can. I know somebody that works in their HR and it sounds like a scary place to work. Even their office people are pitted against one another. I can only picture they send two employees into a dark room and toss in a single screwdriver and wait for the victor to emerge....which also weirdly sounds like some Prime movie they'd promote about themselves lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary