Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 07:28 AM

316 posts, read 303,165 times

Advertisements

Bojangles

no, but seriously, Guglhupf is worth the drive. It gets crowded fast too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2022, 08:37 AM

61 posts, read 50,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_cakes View Post
For some reason "bakery" around here means a coffee shop or a place that sells sandwiches, cakes and some bread on the side.

I'm talking about a proper bakery. Something like rockland bakery in NY if anyone knows it. Fresh off the rack loafs, buns, bagels, that you can bag and take home .
This made me laugh. Im from NYC. There is nothing like that here. And I have went the distance trying out all kinds of recommended places!

Old 01-26-2022, 08:52 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,625,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyWeigh View Post
This made me laugh. Im from NYC. There is nothing like that here. And I have went the distance trying out all kinds of recommended places!
Utica Bakery, Apex.

I feel like you're thinking of that type of place. Were you thinking of an Italian bakery?

I do think the others mentioned fit the bill, especially Loaf!

Old 01-26-2022, 08:57 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,625,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_cakes View Post

I'm talking about a proper bakery. Something like rockland bakery in NY if anyone knows it. Fresh off the rack loafs, buns, bagels, that you can bag and take home .
I think you might be able to find bagels at other bakeries but in general you need to get bagels at a separate bagel place. Everyone already mentioned the actual proper bakeries. Loaf is my fave and La Farm's house sourdough is fantastic though I haven't been to the bakery itself. Utica for an Italian bakery.

I'll also go rogue and direct you to: Wegmans.
And since I'm mentioning Wegmans I'll toss in Weaver Street because their bagels are good, but of course neither of those places are bakeries, they just have bakeries.

Old 01-26-2022, 09:34 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,946,462 times
Apparently Google Maps doesn't list when you search "Bakeries like the ones back home"...

Old 01-26-2022, 09:37 AM

9,782 posts, read 15,824,347 times
It's funny that you mention Rockland Bakery. My parents are former New Yorkers who just moved to in an Independent Living outside of Philadelphia, and that's where the community gets their breads from. Our cousins live in Rockland County and love that bakery, so my mother was aware of it and was excited to get some "good New York bread."

There isn't really anything like that here. Others have mentioned the big ones. So far, my favorite breads are from Weaver Street Market. If you go the supermarket route, I'm not crazy about Wegman's bakery. The stuff looks really good, but doesn't taste as good as it looks. I think Publix is better.

Old 01-26-2022, 09:50 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,382,720 times
We have plenty of "proper" bakeries. Do you see how rude your question is? Just because things here aren't like they are where you come from doesn't mean they aren't "proper" or "real". You have plenty of great suggestions. Maybe think about how you phrase stuff so it's not offensive next time?

Old 01-26-2022, 10:49 AM

22,706 posts, read 36,905,093 times
NYBD bagels on Kildaire Farm and Tryon has really good rye bread. For good sourdough the Publix by me can't be beat but I made the mistake of trying to satisfy that craving late in the afternoon last week and it was all gone .

Old 01-26-2022, 11:05 AM

5,195 posts, read 3,800,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
We have plenty of "proper" bakeries. Do you see how rude your question is? Just because things here aren't like they are where you come from doesn't mean they aren't "proper" or "real". You have plenty of great suggestions. Maybe think about how you phrase stuff so it's not offensive next time?

Old 01-26-2022, 11:22 AM

6,659 posts, read 5,612,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Yeah I hate when people say this - I mean, I don't mind the question if you're looking for something specific (and sympathize if you can't) but I don't think bakeries are a one size fits all term and there are different variations around the country and world

The dictionary definition of a bakery is a place where "breads, cakes and other baked goods are made or sold" so a place that sells cakes with bread would still be a bakery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary